Action Plan - please advise

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Pugsly, 17 Mar 2011.

1. Pugsly

Pugsly

Hello all,
    Ok so things are going slow, but my excitement racing!

Want to get new tank, and start up on marines, where I left off 5 years back.

What size tank should it be? I ould love a 2m+ tank, have not decided yet on buying one with a cabinet, or having one built.

What equipment can I start buying already, skimmers, lighting, sand etc
    Want to do this DIY as I love doing this type of thing.

Please advise

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

You sound excited!!
    Before even thinking about buying any equipment, i think you should decide what you plan to keep in your tank. So decide if you want fish only, soft corls, hard corals, a mix of all etc and then decide what fish you want. From there you can plan what filtration would best suit your livestock. Best to plan before buying - will save alot of money in the long run.

I think a 2m tank is a good size. I also like a wider tank.but thats personal preference.

4. Anemone

Anemone

Before you buy equipment, you need to know what size tank you are going to use.

What livestock do you plan on keeping?

5. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

Well exact size tank I dont know just yet, but maybe this wil aid in what i need in the end roughly.
    I would like to keep a couple of fish ( i love the yellow tang and "dory" regal tang i think it to be (correct me if i am wrong please!) and a lawn mower gobie i think they are called too. (been a long time lmao)

But I would love to keep a nice arrangment of mushrooms, tube worms or feather dusters, and other easy, but very colourful corals.

I would love to have corals that "sway" gently with the currents but have no idea what they would be.

Ok so thats what i would like to see in the end - what would i need?

6. robertkukla

robertkukla

i would say you should get a 4ft or a 5ft tank for what you want in it, you can put a 3ft sump with a DSB, you will also need a skimmer , and optional a ATS, if you going soft corals then you will need t5 globes 2 white 12000k and 2 actinic, there are alot of things you can add to your system as you go along

7. 459b

Hmm..sounds like youll be interested in keeping softies. Things like kenya trees, colt corals, sarcophyton, sinularia, xenia etc will sway but unfortunately arent colourful. They are very easy to keep and grow very fast. You could add some nice mushrooms and zoanthids to bring some colour to your tank.
    "Dory" is a regal tang (Paracanthurus hepatus).

Best thing to do now is to decide what size tank you want. Discuss with the government where she has allocated you tank space and see what size tank will look best there.

8. Anemone

Anemone

Some soft coral that sway would be anthelia, green star polyps, the polyps on leather corals. Pulsing xenia is also really cool.

Zoanthids are really colorful, along with mushrooms and ricordias There are a lot of varieties in the zoanthids and rics.

9. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

thanks for the speady replies. I am so excited already, now you all have increased that allot!!!!:thumbup:

Yes will have to see what the max size of tank is i can get from the goverments approval of course.

I have read that for corals less fish is better, so Maybe i would end up with say 2 yellow tangs, and a regal tang. and of course the few cleaning crew needed to aid in tank balance.

Are yellow and regal tangs ok the the corals u guys have mentioned now?

10. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

PS - sorry forgot to ask - I live in Centurion, but the ideal for me would be to have all the equipment (sump, Chiller etc) housed outside of the house (in some enclosed room or whatever) but the tank inside of course. So have the plumbing to and from tank running through the wall (like they do with aircon installations

Would this be possible in our climate. Very cold winters, very hot summers?)
    I would need to know this to help in the decision of what size tank etc.:eek:

11. 459b

where did you read this? I dont think this is absolutely correct. Fish waste actually feeds corals.

Yellow and regal tangs are vegetarian so wont touch your corals. Remember tangs need swimming space so you will have to decide on tank size before we can comment on your fish choice.

12. 459b

might be possible. Will dpepend on where the outside filter room will b (ie how much sun it gets etc). Also what sort of filter room are you willing to build? Will it be a simple shed or are you going to go all out and insulate, add air conditioning...?

13. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

Not 100% sure yet, but where i would like the tank, there is a small golf cart garage (I dont play golf and neither does the wife yeah!!!!) so this wont be really needed except for kids bikes.

So i may install some shevling etc to house all the equipment inside of it and block it off in a way with some dry walling to keep kids out of the equipment.
    I am really hoping that will work as it would look stunning if it can work that way

14. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

OK - a small update
    the new house should hopefully be completely painted out and upgrades finished in about 3 weeks time!!! yeah!!!!

Due to it being a double storey house, with a centre stairecase in the middle that is completely open and will house allot of unused space, I have decided to have a tank installed there.

It will give me room to install a nice custom built square tank of at least 1m x 1m square. Not sure on the height as yet Any suggestion on the perfect depth of a tank?

I will first build a nice brick base and concrete top for the tank to stand on that will be covered by cladding. This will match nicely in with the Bar we are currently building with the same finish. Equipment will stand outside the bricked part in its own enclosed "pump room" but I will have the sump under the tank.

Whats nice is, the tank will be able to viewed from 3 different sides!!! so people in the lounge, dining room and antertainment area will have clear view of the tank!

So any suggestion or fellow members that have a square tank I can see photos of and steal ideas!!!!!!!!

15. seank

seank

Agreed;)

16. durleo

durleo

17. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

thanks - will definatly go have a look - wonder if lanzo has pics he can post here for me???? please!!!!

18. durleo

durleo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pics from the build - go and speak to them and see how they did the overflow to get 4 viewing panes.

19. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

WOW STUNNING!!! Must go see it in person.

Been reading the thread for this tank now and its stunning - I was worried about the return and overflow pipes on my build too - centre overflow is a great idea.

Would it be possible to include a more or less centre (off centre) return - I know it would have to be higher so it does not syphone out the water like a bath!!!!

How many litres is this tank?

20. durleo

durleo

Yeah I dont think the return will be a problem ! I think this tank is 1000lt

Recent Posts