Acropora Suharsonoi help

Papitto

PatrickF
Reaction score
Hey,,
Picked up a frag of this acro yesterday. I observed that it was a nice light green shimmer the 1st time I saw it. Yesterday at highlight, it was brown. I did buy it, but not sure where to place it. I acclimated it to temp and dripped for an hour. Placed the frag plug in the sand about 650mm from T5's. Also have led's and light the 450nm blue diodes only. Then at 14:30, the other led colours switch on for 2 hours. Red(600nm), green(510nm), coolwhite(10000k) and many more blues.

I noticed today, that my other acro frag(dont know scientific name but it'd dark green and brown) changed from no green to showing some green and the polyps are kinda peeping out their coralites. But the suharsonoi is turning lighter brown, on the tips. The base is still brown, so I moved it to indirect light area on the sand bed.
Checked my No4, Po4 and both not detectable on my salifert test.
I'm running np pellets in reactor + rowaphos in fluidised reactor + a bag of seagel. Cheato in refugium too... hehehe maybe too much but works for my tank.

Is there anything I should do to make sure the acro suharsonoi is going to be okay? Is it bleaching?

IMG-20160313-WA000.jpg

Sps need a lil No3 and Po4. Otherwise they will starve. Optimal No3 level of 0.25 and Po4 of 0.02 is what works for sps. The tank your sps may have come from might have had higher levels of No3 and Po4. In these zero zero condition sps go pale. You will notice that sps in the above mentioned No3 and Po4 levels will color up nicely. Alternatively your ALK may be too high... what is it? Natural sea water is between 7 and 8Dkh. I've seen sps bleach with ALK being too high. What is you CA. Mg and ALK levels?

Sps need a lil No3 and Po4. Otherwise they will starve. Optimal No3 level of 0.25 and Po4 of 0.02 is what works for sps. The tank your sps may have come from might have had higher levels of No3 and Po4. In these zero zero condition sps go pale. You will notice that sps in the above mentioned No3 and Po4 levels will color up nicely. Alternatively your ALK may be too high... what is it? Natural sea water is between 7 and 8Dkh. I've seen sps bleach with ALK being too high. What is you CA. Mg and ALK levels?
Alk 9.6
Mg 1410
Ca 470

So your parameters are good. I reckon watch the frag for the next few days. Keep it in low light area and move it up every week. Ph could possibly be an issue, I doubt it though. Like I say get your No3 and Po4 up a lil. It will benefit the health of your sps.

So your parameters are good. I reckon watch the frag for the next few days. Keep it in low light area and move it up every week. Ph could possibly be an issue, I doubt it though. Like I say get your No3 and Po4 up a lil. It will benefit the health of your sps.
Okay great. Thank you for your response @Rors appreciate it.
It does glow under actinic tonight, so I will monitor it.

from the pic it doesn't seem to be the proper surharsoi..they have long elongataed tips like in the pics below

IMG_2768.jpg

Acropora_suharsonoi_108571-0043.jpg

Colour loss is common when sps are first added to the tank. The frag in your pic looks ok, and might just need some time to adjust to your system. Keep it lower down for few days and monitor it.

Did you dip the frag before you added it?alot of deepwater acropora do not like to be dipped and may RTN or STN as a result of the stress of the dip

from the pic it doesn't seem to be the proper surharsoi..they have long elongataed tips like in the pics below

IMG_2768.jpg

Acropora_suharsonoi_108571-0043.jpg

Colour loss is common when sps are first added to the tank. The frag in your pic looks ok, and might just need some time to adjust to your system. Keep it lower down for few days and monitor it.

Did you dip the frag before you added it?alot of deepwater acropora do not like to be dipped and may RTN or STN as a result of the stress of the dip
Yeah I'm not sure of the actual name, so I assumed it's smooth skin could be common needs.
I didn't dip it based on info I read up on it. It's beginning to color up today, under blue leds. Watching closely.

Back
Top Bottom