Acropora Question

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Hi Sarah.
Ive been browsing through MASApedia and came across.

" Sensitivity (Level 3 to 4): Acropora species are relatively intolerant of unstable and less than ideal conditions.
Sensitivity varies widely depending on the particular species and whether wild or aquacultured. To increase chances of success, do not attempt to Acropora them in tanks less than a year old. Significant fluctuations in temperature and/or water quality can be deadly."
www.asira.org - Acropora

if water parameters are stable,and the aquariast knows how to care for them,i feel its fine to introduce Acropora in a tank even 2 months old.unless this is aimed at a newbie to SPS? My tank was 1.5 months old and my water quality was ideal to introduce acros,since then ive had incredible growth and amazing colors.can you please elaborate.

i just hope this thread doesnt turn out to be a heated up debate.Admin/Mods please keep an eye on the thread :yeahdude:
Cool stuff
Mekaeel :)

I am not Sarah, but the reason most sensitive creatures are suggested for a mature tank (defined as about 1 year or older), is because mini cycles continue for a long, long time after establishing a new tank. There is the initial cycle everyone is testing for, but once your ammonia and nitrites read 0, it is by far not the end of the cycle. It merely indicates that the bacteria has reached a critical population where they can break down the wastes produced as fast as it is created.

But there is still die-off and this oscillation between things dying and bacteria consuming their wastes, then the bacteria dying due to limiting food sources causing another mini cycle as their dead bodies are consumed etc. continues for quite a while - even with "cured" live rock.

In my mind a mature tank does not really refer to major/minor element stability (as this is attainable much sooner than 1 year if not stocking too fast), but rather at the biological stability and this is much, much harder to speed up.

I am not Sarah, but the reason most sensitive creatures are suggested for a mature tank (defined as about 1 year or older), is because mini cycles continue for a long, long time after establishing a new tank. There is the initial cycle everyone is testing for, but once your ammonia and nitrites read 0, it is by far not the end of the cycle. It merely indicates that the bacteria has reached a critical population where they can break down the wastes produced as fast as it is created.

Yes! Indeed... in truth, it probably takes a tank at least 6 months to 1 year to completely "cycle."

But there is still die-off and this oscillation between things dying and bacteria consuming their wastes, then the bacteria dying due to limiting food sources causing another mini cycle as their dead bodies are consumed etc. continues for quite a while - even with "cured" live rock.

In my mind a mature tank does not really refer to major/minor element stability (as this is attainable much sooner than 1 year if not stocking too fast), but rather at the biological stability and this is much, much harder to speed up.
Thanks Likesfish... we are in agreement. :)

if water parameters are stable,and the aquariast knows how to care for them,i feel its fine to introduce Acropora in a tank even 2 months old.unless this is aimed at a newbie to SPS?
Yes, the care sheets are aimed at newbies (for the most part). In addition to the great points expressed by Likesfish, in my observations/discussions with people, it seems to take at least a year for a newbie reef aquarist to get the hang of things (get their first tank in order and stable) enough to be able to care for Acropora. However, even if you are already a seasoned aquarists, I'd wait at least 6 months just to be "safe." But it all depends on the person, tank system and coral... I'm sure in some circumstances you could get away with waiting only 2 months. Have you read the "disclaimer" at the bottom of the care sheets guide? These care sheets are very, very simple because they have to fit on one page (and they're aimed at largely inexperienced aquarists).
My tank was 1.5 months old and my water quality was ideal to introduce acros,since then i've had incredible growth and amazing colors.can you please elaborate.
That's great that it worked out for you. But you're only one aquarist. I don't think this kind of success after 1.5 months is common. And how do we know it's going to last? Unfortunately, when you make care sheets for the public, you can't individualize them to a particular person, tank system or coral specimen. When addressing the public, I think it's best to give the most conservative advice... I'd rather someone be upset with me because they find out they didn't have to wait so long, than upset with me because their coral died and they think it's because I told them not to wait long enough. You know what I mean?
i just hope this thread doesnt turn out to be a heated up debate.Admin/Mods please keep an eye on the thread
lol
Cool stuff

i just hope this thread doesnt turn out to be a heated up debate.Admin/Mods please keep an eye on the thread

Whilst Sara is quite capable of modding this, i will keep an eye, for you, Makaeel sir anything;)

Ah, yes... thanks Wee-man. Mekaeel, I have mod permissions in this forum, so no worries. ;)

Hi

I do not want to hijack this thread Mekaeel, but I have a question for Waldo (LikesFish).

Waldo why are you only now, that you are breaking up your tanks, starting to participate in this forum. It seems as if you have such a wealth of information to share. Thanks for all the positive and informative input. I really hope that you are going to keep up sharing your knowledge with us. It is very obvious when somebody knows what he is talking about

Thanks man.

Sanders

My apologies Sara for hijacking a thread in your forum, I didn't notice that this thread was within your forum.

Cheers
Sanders

Waldo why are you only now, that you are breaking up your tanks, starting to participate in this forum. It seems as if you have such a wealth of information to share. Thanks for all the positive and informative input. I really hope that you are going to keep up sharing your knowledge with us. It is very obvious when somebody knows what he is talking about

Two things. Firstly - I am not exiting the hobby. I mean, I am still clinging to my 2000L predator and 120L mantis shrimp tanks until the very last moment before I relocate. And when I do relocate - believe you me, it will be a matter of months before I set up a new aquarium. My current aquariums were learning experiences.

Secondly, I used to be on ReefCentral exclusively as I felt the wealth of knowledge and the sheer size of the community there really helped me gain theoretical knowledge faster than most other (local) sites. People such as Eric Bornman, Ron Shimek, Randy Holmes Farley, Boomer etc. really boosted my knowledge. But it is always nice to have a local connection too. So I started posting on SA Reefkeeping about 1.6 years ago. I am saying this in public as many people have been wondering about this - but it became a place (or always had been - dunno) where your opinion is only welcomed when it is "awesome dude", or "wow nice nano tank and love the 5 triggers and 2 groupers"... In other words - only supportive statements seems to be allowed. Trying to provide any form of critique - even when meant as positive and constructive as possible - was met with disgrace and a kind of vindictive sneer. I even had this remark from the Admin over there:

Picture%20129.png

So I was invited over here, lurked for a year then decided to have a go and see whether I will be assassinated for trying to be helpful.

Hey, likesfish, i'm sorry your introdction to SA forums was not good, we are very glad to have informed, helpful comments here even if they are negative, as you say 5 triggers and 2 groupers don't fit in a nano - however pretty you make it. Glad to have you here :)

So I was invited over here, lurked for a year then decided to have a go and see whether I will be assassinated for trying to be helpful.

Waldo, I believe I speak on behalve of MASA, and that is that we are all glad that you want and are willing to share your experience and knowledge with the hobby and we do appreciate it.

Just out of curiosity when talking about relocating, are you leaving the country or just moving?

Sanders

Sanders - there are a couple of opportunities and it depends on which one is realised.

Mekaeel - Sorry for digressing on your thread.

Thank you for the support guys, let's not go too far off topic, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom