Urgent help needed Acropora light acclimation needed?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Selwyn123, 7 May 2012.

1. Selwyn123

Selwyn123 BakGat

I added a 4xT5 fixture with 2x 10000k daylight bulbs and 2x actinic bulbs. Also, on the tank is a 150MH unit with 2xT5's, 1 daylight and 1 actinic. Reason asking is my previous lighting was the MH unit and then another T5 unit with only 2 T5 bulbs, and the acro's were acclimated to the lighting, 1 week at the bottom of the tank, and then they spent 4 days in the middle of the tank, and now they are as seen in the picture:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So should i place them back at the bottom of the tank just because of the addition of 2 more T5's??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

That damage on the acro doesn't look like a lighting issue. Have you changed anything else recently.
    What are you parameters? Have you,have any temp or kh swings?

4. archiecrain

archiecrain

Also what are your phosphates sitting at? Your corals are looking rather brown....

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

I'm on my phone so can't see the pics so well. Is that tissue necrosis? What flow do you have in your tank? I don't think phosphates are the cause of this issue. How long have you had the corals for? Did you quarantine them before you put them in the tank?

Last edited: 7 May 2012
  6. seahunter

seahunter

That looks like high nitrates , I had the same problem when my nitrates where sitting at 10ppm , I then dropped my nitrates to where it couldnt read on the nitrate test kit chart, after about 2 week the acro's started colouring up.
    What colour is that acro? If its blue , check your potassium level.

7. Selwyn123

Selwyn123 Thread Starter BakGat

Hi guys, i forgot to add, the dead coral you see on the frags were from a previous alk swing. A member allowed me to store the corals in his tank to prevent further necrosis. The pieces you see that are still alive were the pieces left after necrosis. They have been like that for about 2 weeks now, so no further necrosis has taken place.
    PO3: 0
    Nitrates:0
    Ca: 450
    Alk: 8.9
    pH: 8.3

My alk was 9.3 on my last water change which was on the weekend. How do i keep my alk level constant?? I cannot afford a kalkwasser reactor...

8. Selwyn123

Also currently dosing with NO: PO-X, 2ml per day

9. Selwyn123

And bought the coral from the LFS and it was brown

10. seahunter

seahunter

Dude , hows your flow?

Did the LFS till you what acro ?

11. Selwyn123

Have two wavemakers aimed at the area where the sps are. and then 1 on the right corner of the tanker, pointing toward the backside of tank. LFS didn't say what acro it is.

12. Tremayn

Tremayn

I dose baked bi carb twice daily to maintain my alk. I dose little at a time and test the alk every few days and adjust my dosage until my alk stays constant. IMO kalk is not the best to maintain alk or ca as you would have to dose a hell of a lot and that will mess with the Ph too much.

How many litres is your DT and what flow do you have? Flow plays a critical role with sps, I remember when my monti plate did not get enough flow it had STN.

If you got the coral that colour it can take a while for it to colour up. What filtration are you using? If you are using NP pellets then you will have to dose K as it gets used up similarly to Zeovit, an indicator of low potassium are monti plates looking dull and grey.

Basically you need to maintain Alk, Ca and Mg (especially alk), try and keep them rock solid, then the sps need a lot of random flow not linear flow. Then keep PO4 and No3 as low as possible (I see you have them at 0 which is good) then lighting is also important, you should have min 1w per 1L (with old school light) but that is flexible as sps can adapt to a little less or way more light

13. Selwyn123

Thanks Tremayn. DT is 210l. I currently have no means of filtration except my reef octopus 500l HOB skimmer. Will try bi carb, used Alkaline 8.3-p buffer from brightwell aquatics, added to RO water to knock up Alk a little bit, will check levels again tomorrow morning to see what the verdict is.

14. Selwyn123

Closely examined Acro this morning after lights came on. Seem the acro has a deep purple tint, so i was thinking maybe its original color was purple? Sent the guy that sold me the acro a message asking what is was, but am still waiting for a reply. Tested alk again this morning after i added alk buffer to top up RO water, Tank alk is back at 9.3

15. seahunter

seahunter

Selwyn, Just give it some time , dont make any adjustments now, if its got that purple tint it should colour up.

16. Selwyn123

So, eventually did some research, these seem to be purple tipped acros. Im guessing the LFS or the courier had high phosphate levels? hence the browning...

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

probably the LFS.. You have to be patient with sps, I know it sucks. My ice cap acro has gone pretty brown to a recent No3 spike but I have to wait it out :( .. Just try and keep things as stable as possible and give the acro enough flow

Recent Posts