Acropora feeding on my new home made food mix.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 19 Jun 2013.

1. pkc

pkc

After the power outage earlier this year I lost some of my acropora sps, lps, some other coral species and some of the survivors just weren’t getting back to really good health.
    Also my coris gaimard was not putting on extra body or changing to adult colour as it was before the outage, so I changed my invert mix to get the corals healthy and a slight variation to my fish food mix and total success that was hoped for was achieved.
    There is no way the wrasse will stay still long enough to get a pic but most of my acropora are in easy spots to get pics of.
    Virtually all my sps,acans and other lps extend polyps with every time I apply this mix, these are a few of them feeding.
    All but one of the corals in the pics are from what I could save from the three days of no electricity.
    I am nearly over all those years of experimenting that I used to do which allows me to now appreciate it all with near no water changes, no skimmer no live rock and they are all flourishing and their obvious growth rate is such a relief!
    It is all so easy if its all done right, but mainly if filtration is done right and they get a good feed, regularly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Very nice colors @pkc! What mixture do you use for your coral food?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. cizanie

cizanie

Great, What's your secret?

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

6. Seabass

Seabass

Tell us the truth about the new mix.

7. Bendor

Bendor

Awesome corals!

What is your current filtration setup?
    @pkc

8. Dorry

Dorry dorry

They look awesome and stunning when feeding. All open. Well done.:thumbup:

9. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

These are the main ingredients, but there are so many ways I blend and mix the two types of blends its not funny! One for inverts and the other for fish put into squirt bottles and the immense salt keeps it fresh so I can use a squirt bottle over a couple of days left next to the aquariums till I thaw another one out for either inverts or fish in their own food bottles. The fish have two organs to expel salts any way.
    It takes over 20 hours to make my mix at 40 litres to last a couple of years each time I do this.

Some of these are blended to different degrees and some are not at all.
    Cunjevoi
    Muscle meat
    Nori
    Racemosa laetevirens
    Spirulina
    Limpet meat
    Fresh prawns
    Liquid Iron
    Calcium ascorbate
    Garlic
    Citric acid
    Oyster meat
    Small frozen krill
    Zoo and phyto forms of cultured plankton
    Wild caught plankton locally
    Benthic life collected from shoreline

Based on aquarium water with pure salt added to make it at least two times the oceans salt level.
    All frozen in small aquarium bags sealed to not allow for any evaporation and then thawed out when needed then mixed into 20 small squeeze bottles for inverts and the same for the sieved fish sized particles.
    I use sugarless instead of sugar at home and those squeeze bottles are what I use to feed my reef life as in a squirt here and there and up to 20 times a day for inverts and 5 to 10 per day for the fish.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2013
  10. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi Pck, thank you for sharing you recipe, every one here on masa appreciated. :thumbup: how long did it take you to figure it out to put all this ingredients together.:)

11. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

I would be interested in the ratios of how you mix these ingredients @pkc and how fine do you suggest the mix is liquidised?

12. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

I have been using my own mix variations since I started with marines and never stoped moving forward as with everything else with reef keeping.
    I have had a multitude of failures with all that I experiment with, but they got me to where I am.
    I take everything down to a max of 3 mill in size sieved through netting at that size and then I blend that again.
    I then sieve through just under one mill netting and what goes through is my invert food, what does not go through goes into my fish food.
    Then I add a small amounts of planktonic sized life to the fish food mix and a lot into the invert food mix.
    I do not use predator meats, only cyano grazers, algae grazers and especially filter feeding life forms. I realise I use zoo plankton, a predator, but they are fed on alage, phyto plankton!
    Then with the blended types I put in several forms of plant life.
    It is mostly based on cunjevoi and muscles- filter feeders and limpets-algae and cyano grazers.
    When I add the invert food, it looks like mud in the water and the filter feeders come to life” big time” when they sense that sort of food, like blood in the water with sharks.
    Its important to retain all that makes up planktonic sized life forms, shell, guts,etc,etc.
    That’s pretty much it.
    It’s a lot of work, but it allows my corals,tube worms,clams and more, a lot of health with out being totally dependant of their symbiototic algae with in, as it is with most of my reef life.
    Plus the more I feed the reef life, the more it feeds my style of bio filtering and increases the water quality.
    I realise it usually works in the opposite with the massive feeding amount in the way that I do, but my system is the opposite!
    That sort of sounds silly when it is based entirely on natural functions.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2013
Recent Posts