Aclimitisation boxes

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by AfricaOffroad, 14 Jan 2011.

1. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

For persons who use these boxes when putting a new fish into the main DT, typically, how long do you leave a fish in there for?
    (achilles, flappy - I know you guys use this technique)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Achilles

Achilles

Craig
    it all depends on what i see aggression wise i put an airstone in the box , and some liverock to make the fish feel comfortable, box should be as big as you can allow in your Disp- If i observe no aggression at all towards the newcomer id release within 2-4 hrs usually. If i see aggression then i will wait until it lessens before releasing can take anything from 1 day to a week . If after a week i still see aggression i will try trap the aggressor before releasing the newcomer and box the aggressor then release the newcomer to establish itself for 4-5 days before i try release the aggressor again.It may be necessary to remove the agressor totally from line of sight of the new fish eg. sumping it, this will work if only one major aggressor.

Also allow the fish to leave the box by itself if possible(open door/remove lid) and keep the box in the water after you release for a day or 2 as that is the new fish's territory and it will hang near it and sleep near it initially until it gets a chance to feel out the rest of the aquarium.The biggest possible box you have the more successful this method will be for the new fish and established fish, small boxes will just stress the newcomer more.

My box would be about 100 litre tank if it was made of glass but it is going in a huge space. it is light acrylic drilled with holes and sliding door , custom made.Clear acrylic is best you want fish to see each other easily as if there was no barrier between them.Dividing a portion of the tank with eggcrate can work as well if box is too awkward and rockscape allows this, same rules would apply as to when to remove the eggcrate.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2011
  4. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad Thread Starter

Thanks for the guidance.
    First time I've used a reptile perspex cage to hold a sailfin for 12 hours.

Saw no agreesion, so I let him out.
    Oh boy, the purple started slow, but his aggression level has escalated since this morning.
    I've switched lights off immediately, sporadic attached but not fatal type, hopefully tomorrow things calm down a bit.

Funnily, Sohal and Yellow show no agression whatsoever to the sailfin.

If all else fails, one of them will have to come out for a while, purple if I catch him.

5. Achilles

Achilles

Purple is also one of my most aggressive tangs i have often had to box him, in order to release a new tang, also mess up the rockwork abit make new territories for the fish and reduce daytime lights for 2-3 days

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

I told you the purple was evil but with all my tangs it eventually gave up. Took like 3 days.

7. AfricaOffroad

He had me fooled.
    Showed no agression to the orange shoulder I put in some time back.

He's making up for it now
    :whistling:

8. AfricaOffroad

Hammered!
    [​IMG]
    Worst is big cut on his side.
    Dont know if fish will make it?

Attacks have almost stopped.
    I hope too much damage has not already been done.
    Fish not eating today, but still looks active.

9. Achilles

Achilles

cut will heal if he starts to eat again but watch for infection, if it does be prepared to remove and feed antibiotic soaked nori

10. AfricaOffroad

No more agression from the purple this morning.
    Well no more than normal between tangs in a tank shall we say.

Sailfin still looks perky, but is not feeding yet.
    It is an eater because it came from a holding tank where it had been for 6 weeks and was actively eating flakes

11. Achilles

Achilles

Purple had to establish his dominance , you are lucky he didnt kill the sailfin doing it though , hope the sailfin pulls through they grow fast and are beautiful fish as well.

hope he/she starts feeding soon , is it grazing on rocks?

12. AfricaOffroad

No interest in food, or even pecking on the rocks.

Never a good sign...
    :1no:

13. Achilles

Achilles

yeah that does not bode well for the lil guy, over here one can buy clear perspex drawers for cupboards and it is relatively simple to convert them to an acclimation box just by drilling holes in them

PAX 3D | sort & store they sell them

[​IMG]

14. AfricaOffroad

Well the sailfin is still around. Fins are completely healed and the cut in his side is almost gone.

As of late its started to eat, but oh so little. Grabs the odd bit of mysis and artemia. Have not seen it peck on a rock when I'm around. Looks like it has enough energy, but at times just hovers. Nothing is hassling it at all.

All in all, I'm surprised given its lack of eating its as strong as it is????

15. Achilles

Achilles

some fish will amaze you in what survivors they can turn out to be, my clown trigger is one such fish, i often think it is goodbye time with him and then he just gets better, lets hope it is the same with the sailfin.

16. AfricaOffroad

Well blow me away, I'm sitting here typing at my table and I see the sailfin nibbling on GHA. This fish is trying to make a fool of me !:p

Recent Posts