Aclimation

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by cknipe, 12 Dec 2013.

1. cknipe

cknipe

Hi All,

How do you guys setup / run drip aclimation to aclimate your fish and the like?

I've stumbled on AccliMateâ„¢ by Reef Gently which has a absolutely GREAT product for this, but I am not aware of any LFS selling them, or similar products for that matter.

If (I presume) most are running some kind of DIY system, I would be keen to see / hear what or how you acclimate your live stock.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

put fish/coral in plastic bag wait for water to be the same as tank water then slowly start adding water into the bag then when you've added enough water fpr the salinity to be the same 1 hour to 1:30 for fish and bit longer for inverts because they more sensitive to water changes

4. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

I just put the fish/coral bag in the sump for about 30min to equalize the temp then I put the fish into a bucket with airline with one of those air restrictors on the end and let it drip slowly into the bucket. I do this for about a hour

If its coral I put it into a very small container afterwards with a small pump and put coralrx in for 10min

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Use a small fishtank, actually a spider tank. and a hospital drip line.

Keep the tank in place with my cleaning magnet, mounted in the sump. With a small piece of eggcrate as lid. The dripline sucks from the display

6. Snoek

Snoek

1st tell us how old is your tank? What is the parameters of your water and let's take it from there

Last edited: 12 Dec 2013
  7. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Just curiosity, as I know marine prefers to be dripped over a rather long time too.
    @Snoek - you actually have me excited about tomorrow now! Looking forward to it, and for special blend now already too!!! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Snoek

Snoek

Like I said before: I dont know it all but what I do works. @charl stanhope and @DaneG what is your feedback here?

9. Dane G

Dane G

I do the standard equalize the temp by putting the bag in the tank then move the LS to a darkened bucket and drip them with an airline with few knots in it I use some prime and stability, as for special blend, well I can def vouch for the product, I use it in all my systems and always have some in case of emergencies. @Snoek has been my go to for advice for a long time and I have learnt loads from him he ran an awesome system healthy and flourishing and I know his new one will be a stunner

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  10. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

So the general consensus is just a airline and drip (airhoses, buckets, and so forth)... I suppose it will be a matter of experience to determine how fast to drip and for how long, dependant on species? I mean there's no point in driping for 2 hours if you're only going to change 10% of the water, or dripping for 3 hours, if you're going to change 500% of the water. Or am I missing something?

I also use Prime and Stability (Clarity as needed). Snoek (together with some reading of my own) has pretty much convinced me on special blend too - going to see if I can get some tomorrow depending on how far I will have to drive to get it.

11. Snoek

Snoek

Chriss call david @Perky pets and get a price. They will ship to a shop near you.

12. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Just going to make one or two calls to a few of my better LFS (definately not the one we chatted about - I want to forget about that chapter). If they don't actually have it in stock so that I can go and pick it up, I will make a plan to order from a sponcer and get it shipped to me.

EDIT: If you happen to have a bottle laying arround - I would ofcourse gladly take it off your hands too!

Last edited: 12 Dec 2013
  13. Snoek

Snoek

Phone David at perky pets mate. They are a sponsor here and David knows the trade better than most. Special Blend 10000000000000000000000000% all the way.

14. Snoek

Snoek

Pm me mate. I can take you to perky tomorrow.

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Last edited: 13 Dec 2013
Recent Posts