Acillies Tang

Reaction score
Little bit of advice needed here i am about to break the bank balance and purchase a Acillies tangs 10 to 15 cms now i have a FOWLR 3meter tank fish in at the moment are regal 12cm naso 14cm sailfin 20cm and a few smaller fish like coral beauty anthias (goldies) and file fish, am i liable to pick up compatibility problems, any advise from acillies owners would be great

Hi...I have had an Achilles for around 10 years...so far he has been bulletproof....his best mate is my Powderblue who is around the same age....sometimes compatablility rules don't play out in practise...looking at your list and size tank,I don't see any major red flags....however as you can see ...there are never guarantees

Achilles will hold its own/stand its ground. I have one with a massive Sohal. WS is however a problem, so make sure fish is eating exceptionally well before you introduce. Its not a fish that enjoys quarantine, it wants company. I escaped the full white-spot blow out by having 6 UV lights, independent and directly tapped into the display tank. This way it gave me maximum flow and return of water via the UV's and tank. I originally ran everything to my sump room, did not have the desired effect. there are lots of theories...my experience. I have had it in my reef system for three years now.

My advice to you would be to quarantine him him for at least 12 weeks with some chromis etc for company.
I would use water from your display tank to do weekly water changes .i don't think your issues would be compatibility ones but white spot and disease resistance ones.believe me I've learnt the hard way .
Best of luck

You can quarantine a fish till pigs fly, if your tank has WS, even in dormant stage (where current inhabitants exhibit a "immunity") the Achilles will most likely get it. It's a fish that stresses easily, gets ill quickly. Many stop eating. I would always advisefor it to be the only Acanthurus in the tank, Sailfins (Zebrosomas) might hammer the fish. Larger Achilles seem to do better as they feel more secure. You have a large tank, make sure the fish is nice and fat before you put in him. Like Roy said, UV will work wonders in this case.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the advise i think i will put him in my 2.4 meter coral tank in the shop for a couple of months to fatten him up before introducing him into my system

Back
Top Bottom