Achilles tang

Reaction score
Almost a month since adding the Achilles to my DT and the unthinkable happened, my Achilles got white spot! This is not a good prognosis and I was quite upset and well as aware of the outcome. This was the reason why I shut down my tank about 7 years ago due to massive fish loses. With my new tank I have followed a very good QT regiment on all my fish (Humble fish chloroquine) which worked very well. Unfortunately, I just did not have the time, patience nor space and setup for QT of all other inverts, corals snails etc. I knew that this would probably be the reason that it would pop up in my tank, but hoped that the fish QT will drastically reduce my chances. It definitely had success with this (more than a year) until about two months before adding the Achilles when I saw some spots on my powder brown. However, I hoped for the best and decided to pull the trigger on the Achilles when it came available. After about a month in the DT the Achilles was full of spots but still eating very well and "happy" as far as I can tell. No other of my fish, including purple, yellow nor hippo tang showed any signs of spots / infection. I know that symptoms are not always visible (it can in their gills). Treatment, at least an effective one, in an established reef tank was not available, therefore, I opted for UV as part of a white spot management schedule. I added a 55W UV with low flow rates of approx. 900L / hr. I also started dosing hydrogen peroxide 2 x per day. This is also a method advocated by Humble fish (https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/peroxide-h2o2-dosing-for-parasites-in-reef-tank.725/) for in-tank parasite mitigation / management. I am fully aware that this will likely not kill the white spot but sterilizing them resulting in a much lower reproductive rate. The theory here is that the parasite loading stay low enough for the fish to fight it off! Research as well as advance water treatment plants (for drinking) in the USA are using this method (UV + hydrogen peroxide). Apparently the hydrogen peroxide significantly increases the efficacy of the UV (
), resulting significantly higher degree of contaminant, parasite and bacterial elimination. Dosing hydrogen peroxide only, can work but its a long process and needs to be increased slowly as to reduce the negatively affect on inverts and corals. My initial results about a week into the combined treatment is very promising. I noticed much cleared water, less algae on my glass and my ORP value increased. I also did not notice new spots on the Achilles, nor any other fish. I know the life cycle of white spot and that this is normal for fish to lose spots just to be reinfected much worse a few days / weeks later. I will be closely monitoring water parameters and fish aggression.

In my opinion and from what I have came across from other reefers (Humble fish, BRSTV, etc.) UV greatly assist with the managing the white spot levels is one of the best methods in reef tanks. Catching all the fish and placing them in QT for treatment as well as letting my system go fishless for 76+ days is not possible for me. The stress on the fish will result in losses (as they are mist probable all infected) not to mention the work involved. I am betting on the UV combined with hydrogen peroxide dosing and hopefully this will massively increases the efficacy of the UV and the parasite management ability. Hopefully this will be the edge my fish need to survive the infection - only time will tell! Here are some pics of him this morning - very active and not easy to capture good pics.

Attachments

• Achilles a.png
    Achilles a.png
    735.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Achilles b.png
    Achilles b.png
    737.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Achilles c.png
    Achilles c.png
    708 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Hi Marine101 is was very expensive but one can understand it with all the cost rising and Hawaii closing up. - just look at Yellow tang prices! The shop asked that I do not make it public and are respecting it. You can contact me via PM and I can give you the info.

Reaction score
Morning just a bit of feedback. My Achilles is now living for almost 6 weeks with white spot. I was not very positive that my dream fish would survive a disease that very few swim away from! I am cautiously optimistic at this stage and really enjoy his presence. He is doing very well, gaining weight and well adjusted in his tank - even looking very happy. I am continuously running the UV, feeding balanced diet and dosing H202. Treating a very sensitive fish with white spot in a reef tank is a massive challenge! I am still not sure if I have won the battle and whether it will come back with a vengeance? The Achilles went through about 6 - 8 cycles of heavily infected levels followed by lower infected levels. Luckily the level of infection started to decrease and for the last week or two he is symptom free. I am confident that the key success factors are each individual fish immune system, running UV targeted at disease control and dosing the H202.

Reaction score
I have not reas through all your posts but have you stabilizes your ph/alk?

I found my powder blue (my nemesis fish) thrives better with the use of a calcium reactor, that worked for me.. but these fish like high turbulence and oxygen saturated water, I have even seen reefers in Europe inject oxygen in an attempt to supernatural the system with it...

Just thought it was worth mentioning...

Great work on attending to your fishes needs, it takes ALOT of dedication.

Reaction score
Hi Leslie, thanks for the feedback and all inputs very welcome! I dose Tropic Marin All for Reef and measure Alk, pH, Calcium and Mg every week with Hanna Checkers. My parameters have been stable for almost a year. Corals are thriving and all parameters (including temp) are stable. I have a lot of flow as mentioned! The challenge with especially Achilles are their susceptibility to white spot. All my extreme effort and measures were not successful in keeping it out now I need to manage it at the best of my ability!

Attachments

• Ach 1.jpg
    Ach 1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Ach 2.jpg
    Ach 2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Ach 3.jpg
    Ach 3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Ach 4.jpg
    Ach 4.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Hi Leslie, thanks for the feedback and all inputs very welcome! I dose Tropic Marin All for Reef and measure Alk, pH, Calcium and Mg every week with Hanna Checkers. My parameters have been stable for almost a year. Corals are thriving and all parameters (including temp) are stable. I have a lot of flow as mentioned! The challenge with especially Achilles are their susceptibility to white spot. All my extreme effort and measures were not successful in keeping it out now I need to manage it at the best of my ability!

Do you automate your dosing? It's in the early hours of the morning when you need the ph buffered the most, so without automation, reverse lit refugium etc you could still be experiencing swings.

Any swing is a swing even if it's within parameters eg 8.3 > 8.1, it doesn't necessarily need to drop below 8.

I found that to be a massive part in keeping finicky species.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Leslie, yes I have it automated and dose more at times when pH decrease in order to minimise unwanted fluctuations. Ill definitely look further into optimising this process in order to limit unwanted fluctuations!

Reaction score
Just a quick update. Almost 4 months since my Achilles tang got white spot and luckily he is doing great. He never showed any symptoms again after throwing the initial infection, he is eating very well and in excellent condition. He is very tame, eats out of my hand - he gets a bit more food than the rest of the tank mates. I know the white spot is not gone and some stress event in future will trigger it again. I kept running the over sized UV and feeding well balanced diet. I did not add any new fish to minimize stress and also avoid the disease gaining a foot on a new fish and causing higher pest levels!

My question now when if ever can I look at possible introducing new fish?

Reaction score
People in SA are not willing to pay the extra costs associated with the risks of fully qtying fish...I tried it at one point but basically guys would still price compare to normal petshops and buy there,yes there are a few willing to pay more for a as disease free fish as is practically possible that's eating and tank acclimatised for a few weeks but they're too few and far between to make a sustainable business model out of it.
I would. Keep me in mind. I got no patience.

Reaction score
Yup its a pain, although there are new compounds that make the QT process quicker, but still a job that require patience. I have done thorough QT on all fish but not corals. Yes I know that is cutting corners but most of the corals and inverts can't be subjected to most of the QT medicine - thus it means 75+ days without fish in QT! Sadly I got WS and therefore the reason for this post. Luckily I did not lose any fish including the Achilles, still going strong almost 6 month post infection.

I am also for someone starting a QT service in S.A., although I think the market in S.A. is to small!

Reaction score
Just a heads-up, Wild on Pets got another beautiful Achilles in and he is looking relaxed and already eating should someone still looking for one! He is also priced well keeping in consideration it a Achilles and all the cost etc. skyrocketing!

Top Bottom