Achilles, Regal and Naso Tang

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by tekkengal, 30 Mar 2015.

1. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Hi All,

Need some advice with regards to adding an Achilles Tang to an established tank.
    I currently have a medium sized regal and a small naso tang in my tank. I am looking at adding an Achilles later this week, from an estimate in size, it is small to medium size (can get sizes of all fish later today).

I have read that the zebrasoma types will normally have the most aggression towards the achilles which I do not have any of. With regards to the existing tangs, will there be aggression from the regal and naso towards the archilles? Is there anything I can do to limit this until the fish is fully settled in the tank?

I do have some spare rock that I can add to the tank to change the scape if needed. Should the tangs not get along, I also have another tank that I can add which ever tang I can catch first should the situation be too stressful for the fish.

Thanks in advance!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

the only real solution is dividing the tank with egg-crate, but there should be minimal aggression as i have never had any issues with regals and nasos

tekkengal likes this.
  4. tekkengal

tekkengal Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks for that suggestion, will definitely see if I can get an egg crate wall going as well :)
    Yeah, my naso and regal have been pretty chilled so far with all the other fish, hope they continue with the achilles as well!

5. red pepper

red pepper

I have never had an issue with Regal or Naso adding other Tangs.
    My only advice, because of Achilles so susceptible to white Spot I would advice that you have a UV bank connected to your system. Such an awesome fish.

tekkengal likes this.
  6. Clowning

Clowning

Maybe one day when I'm big and can afford an achillies I'll be able to answer this question:tt2: I added a powder blue to my tang collection and no issues with my regal. She just went to show him who is boss and then let him be.

tekkengal likes this.
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Those 3 will be in separate families of the tangs. They should be fine.

Between my Regal and Blond Naso, the Naso is king, the Regal simply do not care, although its bigger.

I think the Achilles needs to be smaller than the Naso.

8. tekkengal

Thanks! I have ozone running in place of UV so hope that it will suffice. The ws issue is the main reason that I am stressing out with this fish. That and hubby gave me angry eyes for wanting to buy a fish that may die as soon as I get it :blush:

lol! At least you did not have issues with your powder blue, its susceptibility to ws is on par with the achilles.

Thanks Riaan!
    I do have a bit of a problem then as the naso is quite small (roughly the same size as a female occillaris clown). The achilles is a bit bigger than the naso. Do you think that this size may still pose a problem?

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

They should be fine together.

Are you planning on adding any other tangs to that tank in the future?

tekkengal likes this.
  10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Blond Naso is not one of the more aggressive tangs out there. OK, My Blond Naso does not worry about any of the other tangs, but between him and the Magnificent Foxface there are always some argument going on. Might be because of their color being somewhat close to each other.

tekkengal likes this.
  11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

ozone wont replace UV, the level needed will kill the fish AKAIK

red pepper likes this.
  12. tekkengal

Cool, thanks!
    I am not going to add any more tangs to the tank, I don't think I will add any other fish as well after this one :)

I feel stupid now as I should have also listed the other fish that may cause problems :blush:
    I have a potters angel that butts heads with my naso every now and then, I think it is the only one that may act out from the others. The other fish includes:
    Orchid Dottyback (has not chased any newcomers)
    Two Clownfish (lazy buggers that only act aggressive if anything comes near their anemone)
    Two Anthias, Mandarin, yasha, sandshifter (chilled with newcomers).

13. Dian6430

Dian6430

I dont see any problems but if you just want to make sure you can add with lights off and place mirrors against tank glass. It worked for me when my yellow tang was beating the living life out of my new powder blue. Now they swimming together without any problems.

tekkengal likes this.
  14. tekkengal

Thank you for the info!
    I do want to add it after lights out and after the regal goes to bed. Just hope that it is fine acclimitising in the packet with loads of stress guard to calm it down. :m01:

15. Ricky W

Ricky W

Like dian said put a mirror on the one side of tge tank and it normally helps

tekkengal likes this.
  16. tekkengal

Thanks! Will use the mirror as a last resort though. Not keen on two stressed fish :m01:

17. Dian6430

Dian6430

I dont think the mirror stresses them too much. My yellow just kept swimming past and eyeing himself in the mirror and my toby and nemo thought they got a friend now and the midas blenny just sat on the substrate infront of the mirror. Was actually quite cool seeing every individual fish's reaction

Recent Posts