Achilles, Gem and Blond Naso Tangs Wanted..

Well, I'm planning to wade into the Gem tangs in a big way this year - just over 2 months to go before the juvies make their way down into the ECape waters now. As always - for private use and collection only so don't even ask.

I thought the Gems came in towards the end of the catching season.
that's very early - Nov/Dec?:p

Cool.
So R76.00 at the post office.
Fins, goggles and weight belt and you can catch your very own gem tang. :thumbup:
RECREATIONAL FISHING
General
(1) A person may obtain a recreational fishing permit from an office authorised by the Minister, subject to the payment of a predetermined fee,
to engage in one or more of the following types of recreational fishing: Angling, Spearfishing, Cast-netting and Marine Aquarium Fish.
Recreational fishing permits will be endorsed in a manner that indicates which type of fishing or combination of types of fishing the permit
holder is entitled to practice.

(2) A recreational fishing permit entitles the holder to catch fish for own use only and not for the purpose of selling or trading fish.
(3) The holder of a recreational fishing permit, endorsed for angling, is entitled to catch fish of the Class Pisces (i.e. bony fish, sharks, rays,
skates and chimaeras) only with a rod, reel and line, to which no more than 10 hooks are attached. Specific angling regulations are listed
below in sub-regulations 9 and 10.
(4) The holder of a recreational fishing permit, endorsed for spearfishing, is entitled to catch fish of the Class Pisces (i.e. bony fish, sharks,
rays, skates and chimaeras) with only a speargun. Specific spearfishing regulations are listed below in sub-regulations 11 and 12.
(5) The holder of a recreational fishing permit, endorsed for cast-netting, is entitled to catch fish listed in Annexure 4 with a cast-net, which is a
circular net weighted at the circumference for the purpose of casting, not exceeding 6 m in diameter. Specific cast-netting regulations are
listed below in sub-regulations 13 and 14.
(6) The holder of a recreational fishing permit, endorsed for marine aquarium fish, is entitled to catch any fish species not listed in the
prohibited list of Annexure 5 for display in an aquarium. Specific marine aquarium regulations are listed below in sub-regulations 15 and

(7) The skipper of a vessel used for any recreational fishing that may be undertaken from a vessel shall be in possession of a recreational
fishing permit endorsed for recreational fishing from a vessel.
(8) The holder of a recreational fishing permit, shall not use any artificial respiratory equipment, with the exception of a snorkel, except in the
case of marine aquarium fishing.

AQUARIUM FISH
Regulations governing the harvesting of aquarium recreational fishers.
(1) A maximum of ten fish may be harvested per day.
(2) A maximum of five fish per species, which have been collected, may be held in
captivity.

(3) The following species may not be caught.
Common name Scientific name of species or group
Hard corals Order Scleractinia
Sea fans Order Gorgonacea
Sea pens Order Pennatulacea
Sand dollars Echinodiscus spp.
Giant clams Tridacna spp.
Abalone Haliotis spp.
Rock lobsters Family Palinuridae
Seahorses and pipefish Family Syngnathidae
Coelacanth Latimeria chalumnae
Seventy four Polysteganus undulosus
Brindle bass Promicrops lanceolatus
Potato bass Epinephelus tukula
Natal wrasse Anchichoerops natalensis
Great white shark Charcarodon carcharias
Marine mammals
(seals, dolphins and whales) Class Mammalia

Last edited:
Besides being illegal, it really annoys me when I am trying to catch a Gem, and a Coelacanth gets trapped in my hand net.:blush:

I've caught most of mine in with the first batch of (generally rarer - often accompanied by unimaculatus, xanthocephalus and maddy flies) juvies that appear in the last few days of November in the TKei to Slummies area. There does often seem to be a second wave that arrives mid Jan/Feb, but this is often diluted with spans of common flies and surgeons...

I've also caught a couple of beeeg Gems at that time (palm of your hand sized) which imply that they've been there a while already.

They're not quite as pretty when they come out of the sea....
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
@Fires
Just ask the pet shop closest to you - Dorry Pets - they import at times Gem tangs from Mauritius. And not at that extreme price. Or convinced Lanzo to sell you that one in the display tank....:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if someone has got a Gem Tang and Achilles Tang for sale. Please PM me...

I have a beautiful blonde naso for sale, probably 15 - 18cm.. awesome condition

no idea.. what are they worth, but I see you are in Centurion.. bit far.

only pic I have right now

DSC01524.jpg

Back
Top Bottom