Acclimatizing Clams?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Storm, 4 Apr 2011.

1. Storm

Storm

Does one Acclimatize clams lol? Ive never had one in all my years of reefing but I think its about time. Also, whats there feeding habbits like? Thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I have always acclimated my clams in the same way normal fish acclimation is done. One extra thing you need to do when placing your clam in the tank is to gently roll it around and turn it over in your hands to ensure there is no air trapped in the body cavity.

Also inspect your clams very carefully before buying them, here's some tips on what to keep an eye out for - Hot Tips: Clam Selection Tips — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine One thing they don't mention is the byssal gland, think I spelt that right :p, ensure that is not damaged as some clam species use this to attach to rocks and if the clam is ripped off a rock without cutting the strings then the byssal gland can be severely damaged.

Also research the type of clam you are buying as different clams require different placement in your reef, some will be ok on the sand whereas some require to be placed on rocks. You need to maintain good calcium and alkalinity levels as well as strong lighting.

4. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

Thanks Viper. Not to worried about my tank parameters as everything has been stable for 4 years now :). More worried about Clam care. Ive been eyeing a blue one planted in the substrate at the petshop. But ile look into the link you gave me. Thanks.

Recent Posts