Acclimating invert - what am i doing wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Barlan, 30 May 2014.

1. Barlan

Barlan

Hi all

i figured i might as well ask the experts since i have done pretty much everything to the book or as instructed.

My problem is that most of the time when i get an invert (snails and recently a sea hare, RIP :( ) they seem to die :(

they are alive while i acclimate, anywhere from 30 mins to an hour using the drip method at about 3 - 5 drops a second and they're alive when i put them in the tank. but give them a day or so and i find them dead or being eaten by my hermits.

snails have a 50/50 chance of survival. i always put them somewhere where i can see if they've moved or not.

i recently bought a little sea hare and he was fine and expanded/not shriveled up (i dont know how else to describe it :) ) while acclimating, he even went into the tank and slithered down the back rock. but then when i saw him again, he was dead and semi solid. he hadnt been eaten/pecked at yet. it was really sad, i was hoping he'd survive.

There's only one thing i do do, that i have read may be detrimental to the inverts, that is expose them to a little air when i transfer from the bag to the tank. its to minimise the transfer of water from the FLS to my tank, but i do it as fast as i can.

so i'm asking for any advise on what i might be doing wrong or at least what i should be checking, to ensure their survivability.

Thanks all.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Do you have any spare shells for the hermits! They might be killing the newly introduced snails for their shells.
    A bit of air shouldn't cause them to die

What are your tank parameters?

4. Zuna

Zuna

inverts need a longer acclimation time as per advise from louise from idol marine. should leave them to acclimate for about two hour

5. Oopkrane

Oopkrane

Im not an expert, but Ive not have anything die. I drip min 1 hour and two for shrimp. Drip rate max 1 per sec.

6. Oopkrane

Oopkrane

could be that you drip too fast over too short period. Do you

7. Oopkrane

Oopkrane

Have a mature system?

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Drip rate will also depend on how different the LFS water is from your own. If it's similar, then no need to drip too long. Dripping too long and too slow can sometimes be as bad as dripping to little.

9. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

I think maybe my acclimation was to short. Acclimated for just over 30 min. Current levels are

Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Phosphate: 0
    salinity: 1025
    PH: 8.3
    Ammonia: 0

Gonna do MG, CA, and KH tonight. Last week CA was fine but mg was a little low as well as kh.

Thanks for all the help

Edit: Didnt check the ph and salinity of the LFS water either :( that couldnt of helped. The tank is about 10 months old

Last edited: 30 May 2014
  10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

For inverts do it double the time than for fish
    And drip the water slower.

Recent Posts