Acclimating corals to LED lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mariusmeyer, 17 Aug 2012.

1. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

There are many reports of people bleaching their corals when they switched to LED lighting due to the higher PAR numbers. So what I want to know is what lighting did you go from and how did you go about acclimating the corals. To which levels did you dim the LEDs etc?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

i turned my DIY LED's on at 30% and added 5% every 3rd day. When i got to 70% i noticed the sps starting to bleach and turned the led's down to 60%

4. Submariner

Submariner

Dont stress Marius

The problem normally arises when people underestimate LED's and run them at a level that looks visually equall to say a halide or T5's.

The good thing is you can run your Illumina at any intensity you choose and slowly increase in any percentage and intervals you choose.

Starting at blues +- 70 % and whites +- 50 will probably be good and increase slowly if needed

Last edited: 17 Aug 2012
  5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer Thread Starter

Not stressing, Just don't want to fry the corals. I like doing my homework and it gives me something to do while I have to wait :)

6. Zuna

Zuna

7. mornewil

mornewil Morne

Im busy with this at the moment. Started running my radion on 50% & slowly upping it 5% daily to see effects. Only coral taking some strain is my bubble which is weird because all other lps seem to be thriving even my torch which is the highest up on my rocks. Bubble i moved down to the bottom and stil waiting to see improvement.

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I was running six geissemans 24 watt lights at a water depth of around 500, when I switched to LED's, my water depth was 350 but my lights are suspended 300 above my water level, the only invert that seem to take strain was my bubble tip, but she is very happy these days, took her four weeks to get use to the extra lighting.

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Ok, my bad, just measured, it's actually 450mm above water level:p

10. Adee

Adee

I follow the same simple approach as I did for halides. Installed the LED unit higher than normal and lower till ideal height over a period of a couple of weeks. U should be able to spot the coral stressing before its a total loss.

11. Nanos'R'us

Nanos'R'us JsPLAYn

so correct me if i am wrong

my old lighting was only 1 250watt halide running over my tank... i switched over to a radion unit,started it off on full(which is estimated same as a 250watt halide)... and so far so good, no strain from any corals

does the aclimation only apply to t5 users?? in other words lower light users

12. mornewil

mornewil Morne

youre probably right... your corals are use to the bright light already and even if the radion unit is a bit brighter, dont think it will strain your corals so much. Me on the other hand went from pc lights to led. major up in lighting:eek:

Recent Posts