Accidental mushroom frag, advice?

Reaction score
while moving my liverock i moved a rock that one of my mushrooms had attached to,tearing but not severing mushroom totally apart, shoult i just leave it and let it separate of its own accord or should i complete the separation?check the p
emmasfirstbdayandxmasparty002.jpg
ic

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
NO hassle, either or it will sort itself out, you can tear it further or use a sharp blade if you like.

You have effectively fragged it.

Some guys just cut one mushrooms in several pieces with a blade and then let them grow.
There is even stories of guys who take one mushroom and throw it in the blender and the bits back in the tank (how true this is I dont know)

Reaction score
thanks kanga

thanks , i was at a bit of a loss on what to do, i think i am going to leave it as it is and see what happens.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
If I was you I would take a razor blade and complete the cut/division.

Reaction score
OMG What have you done!!!???!!! That species of shroom will wipe out your entire tank if damaged. The noxious compounds it produces will kill all your fish by tonight and your corals will dissolve by tomorrow morning early. Also do not stick your hands in the tank without wearing long protective gloves, latex should work. If you have stuck your hand in your tank, get to the hospital immediately, or be prepared for gangrenous tissue necrosis by tomorrow night. Its really evil stuff, especially in a tank your size.

Last time i checked there was a cure for the infection, but it is hellish expensive. Friend of mine got slammed with a R40 000 medical bill a year back, and he still lost a finger!!!

Okey, now that you got a skrik, relax, just slice it off (the shroom, not your finger)with a minora blade and put the frag in a very low flow area between some small rocks and it should attach in about two weeks.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
OMG What have you done!!!???!!!That species of shroom will wipe out your entire tank if damaged. The noxious compounds it produces will kill all your fish by tonight and your corals will dissolve by tomorrow morning early. Also do not stick your hands in the tank without wearing long protective gloves, latex should work. If you have stuck your hand in your tank, get to the hospital immediately, or be prepared for gangrenous tissue necrosis by tomorrow night. Its really evil stuff, especially in a tank your size.

Last time i checked there was a cure for the infection, but it is hellish expensive. Friend of mine got slammed with a R40 000 medical bill a year back, and he still lost a finger!!!

Okey, now that you got a skrik, relax, just slice it off (the shroom, not your finger)with a minora blade and put the frag in a very low flow area between some small rocks and it should attach in about two weeks.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Good one Ivan

Reaction score
parging bastidge

whaaat you trying to doooo give me an aaaaart attack. ivan . joo is playing hyde anhd seek witthh the frag i messaged jooo abooout. dont joooo llaaaik me anymoooore.

Reaction score
Geez dude I was just about to hack my arm off to avoid the infection spreading. :lol:

Reaction score
Dude that is wrong in so many different ways.
Should have saved that for April fools day.

Reaction score
separated successfully

the tear separated on its own now i have three fuzzbutt mushrooms

Reaction score
it is amazing how fast the fragged mushroom has developed into two full perfect mushies

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Mandarinman..... First time I read this thread - this gives me an idea - I too have a mushroom frag that I want to frag some more, to give me some more of this particular color mushroom - metallic green - quite nice coloring.... Just have one of these little mushrooms on a small piece of rock....

Reaction score
this one was on one rock and grew partially onto next rock and tore when i separated the two,which turned out to be a bit of luck. let me know how your endeavours go