Acan tissue receding

Reaction score
Hi all :)

Yesterday I bought my first acan coral. I placed the acan on the sand bed in an area that has low to moderate flow (my paly's are open and happy in that region) and low light.

When I got home tonight I noticed that some of the heads are showing tissue recession and the heads are tightly closed. I am reluctant to dip it after yesterday (acclimation and dipped), unless it is recommended - has been more than 24 hrs.

My parameters are as follows:
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 25.50
Ph: 8.3
Alk: 8.6 dk
Ca: 450 ppm
Po4: undetectable on Hannah phosphate checker
No3: 0.75 ppm

Here is a picture of the frag:

Capture+_2017-10-29-21-42-55.png

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Joe

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. Quickly stopped at home to check up on it while the light is on. Still looking the same as the pic :m24:

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Regards,
Joe

NJH

Reaction score
Did you dip it? Always a good idea to dip with Seachem coral dip and then Coral RX. They sometimes have issues with bacterial infections in my experience.

NJH

Reaction score
Sorry. I see you did do a dip. Speed reading again.

Give it some time. You can also feed it a bit after lights out and the feeding tentacles come out. Keep an eye on it. If it keeps receding do a dip again with a dip which is iodine based like seachem coral dip.

Last edited:

NJH

Reaction score
Also contrary to popular belief they do like some flow, as long as they are not blasted by a stream of water.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for the advice.

@459b I believe it was fragged by the lfs on Friday. The head that was cut in half is a goner in my opinion - Looking horrific.

@NJH I always dip coral rx for 10 mins and then seachem reef dip for 45 mins.

2 of the bigger heads did show some tentacles this morning around 1 am.

I will dip it again in a bit.

Regards,
Joe

NJH

Reaction score
If the head that was cut in half was torn watch it for infection. However since it was fragged so recently it may take a bit of time to settle.

@NJH I always dip coral rx for 10 mins and then seachem reef dip for 45 mins.

Acans do not like coral rx in my experience but I too always use both dips. I would dip in the reef dip again but not the coral rx and then give it a few days.

If feeding tantacles come out feed it some soaked pellets.

Reaction score
@ NJH thanks. Only use coral rx on initial dips to try and prevent pests from getting in the tank. Today's dip is only reef dip.

Would you suggest a spot with direct light or a shaded area until the coral acclimate to my tank properly?

The same pellets as I feedy fish? I have some rotifers, mysis shrimp and ocean nutrition formula 1 available if those would be better?

Thanks.

Regards,
Joe

NJH

Reaction score
Leave on your substrate in the light for now. You can slowly move them up in time.

Mine greedily takes pellets but you can use mysis if the heads are big enough.

Last edited:

459b

Reaction score
Thought so.
Highly irresponsible for a shop to sell such a recently fragged coral. Unfortunately when fragging, some pieces just don't ever make it no matter how perfect the conditions are, nor how often they dipped.
I'd advise you leave it where is and hold thumbs. Adding more stress might be worse than trying to prevent further spread of whatever is killing it.

NJH

Reaction score
I have fragged numerous Acans followed by an Iodine dip every day for a few days thereafter without any losses. I do however agree that selling freshly fragged corals is a big no no as anything can happen to a fragged coral that could cause its demise after fragging. A frag should be allowed to heal before it is sold.

Reaction score
Hi NJH

Still tightly closed but it seems the tissue loss has stopped.

There are 3 very small heads on the one side that seems to be opening up.

Thanks for the follow up :m106:

Regards,
Joe

Top Bottom