Absolute beginner

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am/ will be brand new to marine aquariums and would like some help.

I am going to start very small, I have a Boyu mr-180, 37 Litres (398 x 250 x 390mm). I have seen others make this tank into a lovely little marine aquarium

So right now I have the tank, its built in filter which is rated to 370l/h and not much else. I'd like to make an inventory of what else, equipment wise, I would need to make the aquarium run at it's best right from the start. I have a big bag full of extra equipment for tropical aquariums so heaters, pumps etc are sorted.

And then I'd like advise on substrate, rock, corals and livestock would be best for such a small tank.

Also, as I will need small amounts of substrate or rocks I'd like to know if any members have extra they would be willing to sell me. Or should this go to the buy/sell section? I am based in Bloubergstrand, Cape Town.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello

There are so many ways to skin the cat.

You right getting your equipment sorted first thats a must. If I could just give any advice there. Buy once, don’t buy what you think might cut it, buy what cuts it, but once.

Someone here will give you great advice wrt filter media, HOB skimmers etc - but not me I have a sump and chaeto.

A zetlight 1201L or 1201wifi would go well if you were make it open top but there are many other options on lighting depending on what you can spend.

50W heater - make sure you buy a little digital temperature gauge, know your tanks temp especially your nano.

Start that pump and check if there is any stray voltage, full the tank with some natural seawater start he pump, you can check using a multimeter or if there is any tingling on your fingers if you touch the water, replace/upgrade the pump if it’s leaking volts.

You will need Rodi water for topping up after evaporation and salt water for water changes, do you have a store nearby selling salt water and rodi water or are you gonna buy the equipment and salt then make some yourself?

Buy a nice aragonite substrate. With that small tank, you won’t need more than 4kg for a 2 - 3cm layer. Careful buying substrate that’s too fine it’s a pain in the neck. I think you will find Seachem or caribsea sell packaged in those quantities or post for some in the wanted section of this forum (also for your rock)

You a buy dry rock for around R40 /kg and live rock for about R80/kg. So do some searching, you can put 4kg dry rock and 1kg piece of live rock and over time the live rock will seed the sand and other rocks.

Also with dry rock, you get to do you aqua-scaping outside the tank. You can use reef epoxies or just regular pratley standard setting putty to stick rocks together, even while the underwater won’t hard your reef. Don’t be afraid to hammer up a big piece of rock and sculpt stick and stack your own rock formations.

Redsea has a nice tank maturing kit for starting a new tank, take a look at it.

There is a nano stock/nano friendly livestock (coral and fish) forum somewhere use google to find it.

Very typical is clown fish, cleaned shrimp, snails and a hermits. Clownfish are quite hardy.

Equipment, sand, rocks, water, cycle for 3 months, get livestock, post pics, start your own tank thread, receive lots of likes, win the lotto, send me a mil, move to Italy.

Reaction score
Hello

There are so many ways to skin the cat.

You right getting your equipment sorted first thats a must. If I could just give any advice there. Buy once, don’t buy what you think might cut it, buy what cuts it, but once.

Someone here will give you great advice wrt filter media, HOB skimmers etc - but not me I have a sump and chaeto.

A zetlight 1201L or 1201wifi would go well if you were make it open top but there are many other options on lighting depending on what you can spend.

50W heater - make sure you buy a little digital temperature gauge, know your tanks temp especially your nano.

Start that pump and check if there is any stray voltage, full the tank with some natural seawater start he pump, you can check using a multimeter or if there is any tingling on your fingers if you touch the water, replace/upgrade the pump if it’s leaking volts.

You will need Rodi water for topping up after evaporation and salt water for water changes, do you have a store nearby selling salt water and rodi water or are you gonna buy the equipment and salt then make some yourself?

Buy a nice aragonite substrate. With that small tank, you won’t need more than 4kg for a 2 - 3cm layer. Careful buying substrate that’s too fine it’s a pain in the neck. I think you will find Seachem or caribsea sell packaged in those quantities or post for some in the wanted section of this forum (also for your rock)

You a buy dry rock for around R40 /kg and live rock for about R80/kg. So do some searching, you can put 4kg dry rock and 1kg piece of live rock and over time the live rock will seed the sand and other rocks.

Also with dry rock, you get to do you aqua-scaping outside the tank. You can use reef epoxies or just regular pratley standard setting putty to stick rocks together, even while the underwater won’t hard your reef. Don’t be afraid to hammer up a big piece of rock and sculpt stick and stack your own rock formations.

Redsea has a nice tank maturing kit for starting a new tank, take a look at it.

There is a nano stock/nano friendly livestock (coral and fish) forum somewhere use google to find it.

Very typical is clown fish, cleaned shrimp, snails and a hermits. Clownfish are quite hardy.

Equipment, sand, rocks, water, cycle for 3 months, get livestock, post pics, start your own tank thread, receive lots of likes, win the lotto, send me a mil, move to Italy.
Best advise ever....

Top Bottom