Urgent help needed About to give it all up

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by shaunn, 21 May 2012.

1. shaunn

shaunn

Hi All

Since my tank move 2 months ago i have had endless problems with it.

my nitrates are above 10 .
    my phosphates are also high.
    2 of my fish have white spot and have had fro 3 weeks now .
    i have been dosing herbtana for 21 days and no change in the white spot.
    i have gha engalphing my candy canes one already dead.
    i do 25 % water change every week and i don't were to go now .

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

how high are your PO4 levels?
    Please remind me again of your sump filtration system.

4. mytank

mytank

First of all - we all been there and its horrible - trust me I know what I want you to do though is hang in there, we will help you through this.

So lets look at some things together!

Nitrates above 10 is not bad - really it isn't. Yes the nirvana is nitrate = 0 but I ran my ex cube (in my signiture) at nitrates always around 25 to 35 and look at the pictures......

Phosphates - they don't kill, they create issues with algae etc but they don't kill (unless in supendous amounts). When you say yours is high what is high?

If you want to sort out the nutrient levels you got to give us some info around your tank, Sump size, Skimmer size, do you have DSB, Cheato any reactors?

Also are you willing to spend a little money to help you out. You can get a nice little reactor and run SeaChem Sea GEL which is carbon and phosphate remover in one and works like a charm.

White Spot - my good old enemy ..... Well to tell you the truth and I will get shot - burnt - thrown off the forum.... but I am sorry all that herbal stuff is as good as taking herbal medicine to increase your private parts. IN MY OPINION its usless and does nothing. There are known methods to kill the parasites and I have tried all of it including the herbal stuff. The only method that works are - Bucket method and copper - Full stop.... It's sad to see how many people go in circles and lose fish whilst wasting time.... <ok finished my rant> - I would suggest you start investigating one of those methods if you want to treat the white spot asap.

Have you tested your water..... your RO that is for Nitrate and Phosphate, maybe your RO unit or where you getting your water is actually not that pure... just do a test and let us know. A 25% waterchange should be doing wonders (if the water is pure).

Also some history about your LR, did it come from a tank that was running high in nutrients, I had that and the leaching backing into the system was amazing...

Let us know. Don't give up we will help you through this!

Broder and zak like this.
  5. Selwyn123

Selwyn123 BakGat

get NO3: PO4 - X you dose it everyday. it brings down phosphates and nitrates whilst getting rid of gha

6. shaunn

shaunn Thread Starter

ph4 are @ 0.64 i think i could be wrong
    my sump has live rock and that's about it and i have rowra phos reactor running

7. shaunn

shaunn Thread Starter

i am have just bought that have done new tests to see if there is an inprovment yet

8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

As long as nitrates aren't above 25 you should be fine. Do you have a DSB?

If you're getting a phosphate reading, then get a good granular phosphate remover. You don't really need a reactor, just use a filter sock, put it in a high flow area in your sump and give it a good shake every day or two. You also get liquid phosphate removers that will instantly take out phosphate from the water column, though you should probably use these in conjunction with the granular stuff for best results.

Herbtana is crap, it's like homeopathy for fish. Which fish are infected and what is your full stock list? If you have whitespot prone species then you may want to consider putting them into quarantine for treatment and letting the tank run fishless for 6-7 weeks to completely get rid of the parasite.

GHA is a result of the phosphate. On the plus side, it's one of the easier pest algae to get rid of. Add the phosphate remover mentioned above. You can also turn off all pumps, pull it off manually or scrub it with a toothbrush. While you're doing that, take a powerhead and blast the detritus from your LR. Then siphon up all the algae and gunk from the bottom with a water change. Detritus is a major cause of nitrate and GHA. If you're persistent with GHA, you'll get rid of it.

9. shaunn

shaunn Thread Starter

??

10. butcherman

prehaps change the rowa, feed less, and look at getting macro algea in the sump for nutrient export.

what are your TDS on your Ro and what salt you use?

Last edited: 21 May 2012
  11. shaunn

shaunn Thread Starter

TDS is @ 1

and i am using RED SEA coral Pro

i have Ceato in the sump

Last edited: 21 May 2012
  12. butcherman

Is it growing?

13. mytank

mytank

Ok so lets get a structure here:

1. What is the flow rate on the reactor, do you have it blasting the media, slow?
    2. Lets also try and stick to one thing at a time and not a million different elements. If you going to use the Red Sea stuff stick to it. I perfer to use everything from one manufacture makes it easier to diagnose etc.
    3. What as your levels in the old tank
    4. Phos is high, phos doesnt go down over night can take up to three weeks depending on how much is in the system, how much has bound to the substrate and LR. So we need to give it time. Unless you want to replace substrate and LR....
    5. Nitrate - not really an issue right now if it's at 10ppm so lets not focus on that right now.
    6. Your sump just a skimmer and LR thats it? How much LR? Whats the flow on the LR got a pic of your sump? Have you cleaned the sump recently - is there ditrius in the sump under the LR?

Then lets look at the WS - remember WS is there fish get stressed it comes back, we need to get your nutrient levels down to reduce the stress as well.

Have you thought of which method you want to go with - Bucket , copper?

14. butcherman

also look at your flow if detritus is settling, in the tank you will get problems

What flow do you have and perhaps a pic of your tank and flow pumps

15. mytank

mytank

TDS seems okish... it should be - 0 in theory.

16. mytank

mytank

One thing we havent asked, size of tank vs. fish stocking levels?

17. shaunn

shaunn Thread Starter

1. the flow rate is 400L and it's just tumbling it
    3. old tank i cant remember but it was better than this.
    6. my return pump is 6000L/H yes there is ditrius in the sump but nothing under the LR

18. butcherman

what about flow and detritus in the tank, any dead spots?

19. shaunn

shaunn Thread Starter

the tank is
    950*600*600
    sump 900*450*450
    I have 1 Regal tang medium,Copper band medium,2 chromis, 1 blue damzel, 2 clown's, 1 banner fish, Cleaner wrasse,6 Line Wrasse, Fire Goby

20. shaunn

shaunn Thread Starter

not really i added 2 more flow pumps

21. butcherman

take one flow pump blow it between the rocks, see if alot of stuff comes out. its and easy test

Recent Posts