Urgent help needed Abnormal swimming

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by dominodeluxe, 25 Jun 2011.

1. dominodeluxe

dominodeluxe

Hi my occelaris and my Allard clown have both started swimming in akward ways.I've had the occelaris for over a year and the 2 Allards for anywhere from 3 to 6 months of which the bigger one of the two is affected.The occelaris and the allard seem to quarrel much more lately but its definently not quarreling its real abnormal swimming I've looked into possible diseases but can't see any clear signs except the abnormal swimming.I'm also wondering If i should treat the tank with polyguard from seachem as it treats fungal,parasitic and bacterial diseases.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

Hi

how long ago did this start?

Are the lights off? as some time fish do swim funny when asleep (I've found my clowns lying on the ground before, thought they were dead, 5 min after light on, back to normal)

How old is the tank? how many fish in it?

what are the water parameters? pH, Ammonia, nitrite?

Do they seem to be flapping thier gills hard at all? (maybe compare to other fish in the tank?)

4. lIghty

lIghty

I wouldn't dose anything just yet.

5. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

I have the same problem with my ocealaris right now... Except for swimming funny he seems to have difficulty breathing and is not eating... Tagging along...

6. Anemone

Anemone

Agreed! You don't want to cause more harm.

7. lIghty

lIghty

Please post water parameters!

8. dominodeluxe

dominodeluxe Thread Starter

Hi sorry was just busy doing water change I've had the occelaris for over a year I've also noticed that that same behaviour as you mentioned ,but in this year i've had him he's neva had this behaviour.The one Allard looks like he's breathing harder but not drastically.

I saw this strange swimming and behaviour yesterday for the first time

The tank has 3 fish (2 Allard & 1 Occelaris)

I'll quickly test my water the test kit I bought is API but I only realised once I got home when I bought it that its a reef test kit so I'll beable to give you (Phosphate,Nitrate,Carbonate hardness and calcium)

But Of those I guess you'll want only Phosphate and nitrate

(I'll be back in a moment)

Last edited: 26 Jun 2011
  9. dominodeluxe

Phosphates (almost undetectable the solution is practically white and see through with an extremely faint yellow)

Nitrates 0

10. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

hi there...

How's your pH looking? The first time my clown acted this way the pH and KH was a bit low so I buffered and he got better... Now I don't know what his problem is...

11. dominodeluxe

Ok I'll test for PH and KH ,but I do dose Elemental from Brightwell so I don't know if that'll maybe spike the calcium and I'm not sure if it will have a drastic influence on the PH and KH.I've been dosing for some time so I'm not sure If that'll be the cuase and I do only dose half the required dosage.

12. dominodeluxe

My Ph is (greenish blue ) and looking at ph color charts on the internet it looks a bit low what did you use to buffer.

13. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

I used seachem reef buffer. It takes pH and KH up so I still need to get sommething that only raises pH and not KH (for those times when you only need pH). The reef calculator says that bicarb raises KH but drops pH? You should get your water tested at a LFS because those colour things are just not good enough if you're talking about point something of a difference (and it does make a difference) Where are you from? Jacques

14. dominodeluxe

PTA

15. Ari

Ari

Unfortunately :(

16. dominodeluxe

PTA=most uninspiring city in S.A

17. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

I'm still folowing the thread though... :)))

18. dominodeluxe

Ok on another forum I read "The jerking behavior is a show towards the other clownfish. Usually its a show of submission, but if he is larger than the new clown, probably a show of who's going to be the boss in the marriage...

Nothing to worry about. " so I don't know ,but its definantely not normal and I'm stressing cause if its a disease time is a prob.

So the fish are actually jerking thats a more accurate diagnoses so maybe you know the diagnosis now.

19. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

But I only have the one clown??? :(

20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Is there any way you can upload a video of this onto youtube? To me it sounds perfectly normal behaviour for clownfish, they often exhibit this type of behaviour when they are breeding or defending territory or showing aggression, I have seen them vibrate quite intensely, they literally have a really good shake and jerk their bodies, sometimes arc their bodies, swim sideways, swim awkwardly and make some sort of 'gestures' with their mouths.

Please do not treat your tank with anything until you know exactly what is going on.

What size is your tank? It's generally not a good idea to mix certain species of clownfish, especially in a small tank, as cute as they look they are seriously aggressive fish.

21. dominodeluxe

My current tank is 100l ,but my 240l was in the cycling process until the stand couldn't support the weight and the base started cracking so it will get started in due time.

It could sound normal as I've read of this sorta behaviour on other threads on other forums ,but I have still never seen this specific behaviour.It almost looks as if its experiencing a spasm.I knew when I bought the fish aggression may be shown ,but since I've had the 3 clowns (2 Allards and 1 Occelaris) never has this occured.Well of the 2 Allards (they were introduced as a pair of juveniles 3cm)the one definantly grew much larger than the other so I don't know if this might have an effect as it is only the Big Allard and the Occelaris showing these symtoms.

I will see what I can do with the youtube there isn't perhaps another method I dono if I can email a vid or something like that.

Recent Posts