aandtsociety rufus king wreck marine species collecting trip

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 19 May 2009.

1. pkc

pkc

These are the fish that were caught out at the wreck on a very nice day.
    The vis was only around 7 metres and the swell was nearly a metre, but it didn’t prevent a top day out.
    This wreck is nearly half way from Stradbroke Island to Moreton Island just out behind the surf on the bar.
    The recent rough seas have exposed a lot of it and it is a reasonable wreck now to have a top snorkel at.
    The following pics are what was gotten there and a couple of ordinary videos of a swim around the wreck.
    The only cray seen on the day would have been 3 kilos, missed it by that much!!!
    There are two more trips in our members section of our forum,the trip two days ago is a mind blower.
    This is where we were,just next to the wreck,which is just under the water down to 30 plus feet.
    [​IMG]

These are the fish we got.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Videos of the wreck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Wow very nice pics - I notice with most of your pics the specimens are held in bare hands - are your not scared something will give your'll a nasty jab? or are we not experienced enough to know which to touch and which not to?

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Wow awsome man! Looking at the Trigger I miss mines :(

5. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

hands

I am normally the one that hangs onto them,though colin held a couple while i took the pice this time at the dive site.

I have been doing most ocean sports for over thirty years now and collecting marine,both commercialy for 12 years and privatly for thirty years and our pres hsa had a lot to do with the ocean as well.

What is put in our hands are well known as to what they suffer from and if they may be a danger some how to us.

The only prob with any injuries was from last weekend,a small mungrel bull shark had a go at me,a small cut or two on the hip,but i got four good puinches in before it let go.

I tried to find it after that with a weapon and it had gone,dam!!

One thing i always tell anyone that goes into the water,always wear a wetsuit,no matter what,full length,a good quality wetsuit is hard for a smallish shark to get through,or sharp stuff to cut you and if something happens you will be found on the surface.

The amazing trip that was had on Sunday(it is in our members forum for a while, its not quite finished, but it is there for registered users to look at while it is being compiled ) this will be the last of our big trips for snorkelling this season, it is getting a bit cold and the incredibly bad weather up here at the moment will drop the water temp a lot and kill billions of marine creatures with the salinity reduction from the torrential rains we are having at the moment, this rain is heavy enough to wipe out all of our south east estuaries and some in close reef creatures, this will most certainly disrupt the balance up here for quite a while.

We were to do some rock pool trips from now on,but there may be very little left alive in them now after the rains, there was supposed to be one this Sunday.

There are some diehards that will still go out wide for a snorkel here and there even in winter, though not very often.

6. Dale6

Dale6

wow cant wait to visit my dad in aus!

7. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

aus

where abouts in aus?

8. lIghty

lIghty

I'm so jelious!

9. Dale6

Dale6

he is in melbourne but heard there isnt much there fish wise

10. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

fish

The cold water down there kills all the tropical species when the winter temps hit.

There are heaps of sea horses and some indemics down there though.

we used to use a hand held prawn net through the sea grass at low tide and get heaps of things.

Recent Posts