aandtsociety reef aquarium species collecting trip

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 30 Dec 2008.

1. pkc

pkc

Hi all.
    Another beautifull day out on the reef getting some nice species for our tanks.
    Out of this lot i only kept a clown.
    We gave the others to the other members and friends.
    Two of us were trying to see who would get a latezanatus clown first and we didn't see any.
    Next time!
    The work involved getting these types is very intense,it's a case of bakwards and forwards from the bottom until you can get them into a good spot.
    We have gotten far better than these species over the last 28 years or so of snorkelling,though the club has been doing this for over 60 years.
    Once about 6 years ago we got 5 conspicillatus in one day,now they are very hard to catch,even when you find them in less than 20 feet of water like we did.
    we only started taking pictures of what we get when we under stood our site,that was early this year.
    we were extremely slow with the internet.
    Anyway more fun in the big blue.
    Firstly there are a couple of imperators a bispinosus,a file fish,a couple of akindynos and a longirostris.
    We got couple of feather duster worms,as we always do and two huge very tasty crays, i didn't get pictures of them and we ate the crays that night.
    Oh and some realy nice cauperpa,i kept that!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was very calm on the way out and the depth where we snorkel is 6 to 45 feet and we had 15 metres clear vis and takes just under an hour to get there,depending on whos boat we go in..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Wow! Some awsome catches there!!

4. crispin

crispin

wow, i would have loved to do that:)

5. crispin

crispin

what is the fish in with the clowns? and is it reef safe??? i know its a type of file fish, but what type?

6. Broder

Broder Mudshark

OK... now I feel sick.

7. crispin

crispin

if you feel sick on calm seas like that, best you stay on land:):razz:

8. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Sorry.... nothing seems funny at the moment.

9. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

aandtsociety trips

Thanks Mekaeel,we get some very nice stuff around here.
    In about two months when the season is getting to it's best,there will be blue tangs,angelfish,etc,coming out of our ears out there,sought of!:)

That fish crispin,is a oxymonacanthus longirostris and they will nibble at the corals mucuss to balance it's diet,like a regal angel will,but not much if you have some variety of sponges and give it a little cunji regularly and some open crabs to chew on as well.
    Four of the club members,including myself are on holidays and we went out to collect today.
    we left the boat ramp at 5.15 am and got back at 11.30.
    You know the films you see on the barrier reef,today was far better and very calm.

we got some beautiful things and extras for the clubbies that couldn't get time off.

we will have the pictures of our last three trips as soon as Danny has finished processing them on our phtotobucket site albums.

i get sea sick from time to time,especialy when sometimes we are out there in the water for up to five hours,i just to a kwell and not a prob.
    :thumbup:

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW PKC! I am just GREEN with envy! AWESOME man! Congrats on the catches!

11. IMarine

IMarine

Hi PKC i am coming to osie land feb next year i think i must come pay you a visit,going to perth,melb and brisbane

12. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Very nice, you are a lucky fellow, we don't seem to get such beautiful fish off the British coast:(

13. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

Leave a message on our forum imarine if you are coming here and if you have some snorkelling gear you might be able to have a snorkell with us,if you stay a while in brisbane.
    Free forum : aandtsociety forum

14. GregAW

GregAW

I've always wanted a trip to your part of the world.

Recent Posts