aandtsociety marine species club trips link 2

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 17 Feb 2009.

1. pkc

pkc

Hi all, some more of our trips to show.
    This time we had a trip to the bay side to have a look around, a trip to get some feeder shrimp and a collecting trip as well.
    The links that follow are of some collected species, plus the shrimp spot and some pictures of what we see on our low tide walks along some sections of the bay side near Brisbane.
    The low tide walk was a very nice late afternoon low tide in the middle of the week as was the shrimp trip, than the collecting trip was on the Sunday, I know there was all that bad weather we had up until mid Saturday, but it was still good.
    The collecting trip was not bad, because of certain conditions that can combine, even in very bad conditions, from the day before to give us a good day out.
    The water was 26 to 27 degrees, the vis was pore at 5 metres, the day was sunny and hot so the low vis didn’t deter any one from getting in and seeing far more than we wanted.
    Don’t worry we know all the regulations on what we do.

One of the new members is (this close) to catching there first cleaner wrasse
    The photos are of some of the species we got, though there were a lot of banded shrimp gotten for someone’s attempt at breeding them, there were no photos of them. The breeding? We will see?
    We hope you enjoy seeing what we as an aquarium club do on our outings.

Pictures by AandTpics - Photobucket

Bayside walks pictures by AandTpics - Photobucket

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

great fish there man

4. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

thanks mate

we are very lucky to do what we do.

Never a trip goes by that i don't get a buzz out of the things we see and get for our sport/hobby combo.

You see the things we get,but the things we do to ensure more species develope here are quite extensive as well.

Some times that is the whole trip time taken up.

Just developing more areas for new life to use.

Hopefully this year will get us some conspicts to show off,it is normally a 7 year cycle to the next time we get them and this is the next time.

Hopefully we don't have a huge freshwater flush that kills all of them before they are big enough to find,like 14 years back.

The last time they all made it we saw near on 50 of them.

Just imagin that,they sell in europe for $2.500 to $4.000,no wonder the commercial guys are always asking if they have been seen.

Fingers crossed for this year!

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

Lovely butterfly and i always love the Lionfish. Congrats on your catches. But i must sy i dont agree with the damsels:) they are lovely but i would never take the chance with those little devils;)

6. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

damsels

I agree with you on the damsels.

One of the new members wanted to restart a tank so we got some damsels so they would have some tough pretty fish in the tank while it finnished maturing.
    :thumbup:

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Awesome fish you guys caught PKC. Could you possibly explain your catching methods exactly? What "tools" do you use? Traps? Nets?
    Beautiful those jewel damsels..... I LOVE the Marleyi Butterfly..... and the lionfish is AWESOME! Kudos to you, man!

8. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

tools as such

The big thing about our collecting is that it teachers you how the creatures live naturaly and allow a greature understanding of how they live and apply that knowledge to the hobby for greature success.

Now tools!

Well i like to use home made nets.

I get some stainless steel rod and make a rim,shape the end to fit into wooden handel with an aluminium sleeve.

This is very important,get some irrigation black tubing and cut it all the way along to cover the shiny stainless steel or it scares the fish away.

Than a get some monofilament netting to thread it on the rim and than stitch it together.

I also use plastic coke bottles of different sizes with small weights on each half for storage as I go along and I use them as a closing trap for inverts a and very small fish. I also use a scaler bag with a rock in it to hold all my gear as i go along and the rock is so it won’t move with the swell or current while I leave it there when I give chase.

Shane likes to use a cast net as you can legally use a very small mesh hole with them, but there is no challenge,it catches everything, I like the exercise of the chase and you get to move around a lot more.
    The rest of the guys use a mix of all these things.
    Oh I do use a prawn fence from time to time for wrasse to catch easily, but probably once each two years would I bother, I like to move around and see more things.

Patience and a lot of years working out each individual way in which each species use to allude you makes it quite easy to catch what you want.

Each separate species use the same method to avoid capture, they never varie.

One of our more recent members was shown how easy it was to get a banded coral shrimp, from pulling it almost apart trying to get one to having it walk up his arm and into the container, patience and an understanding of how they do things makes a great day out catching for our tanks.

I spent 20 mins on getting just one juvenile semi recently, the fish was perfect and where it was hiding was left the same as it was origanily, that’s being patient and careful and they are very important.

I hope that helps.

9. crispin

crispin

very nice reply there pkc, thanks for taking the time:)

10. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

tools

Thats okay mate.

Here is a pic of the net,the containers and i also use a stocking bag with a zip for eels and other things that are better kept in a bag and not a container.

see yah.

Now i have to cet back to our bathroom renovations.

[​IMG]

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi pkc. Any particular reason why eels are better of in bag rather than in a container?

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Awesome info! Many thanks once again PKC! And good luck with the bathroom renovations!
    Many thanks for sharing this with us!

13. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

eels

I find that they can use there strength to push upen the containers.

plus the stocking bags keep them from hurting themselves and they will not hurt each other if i put more than one in the bag.

Plus the bag takes up very little room as i go along and it also allows a lot of water to pass through the mesh for oxygen.

When i bring one or two home i leave them in the bag until i have a place for it hanging in the current pegged to the edge of the tank where it is safe and can not escape.

14. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Clever idea! Thank you! Sounds like a good plan when I want to go and catch eels :)

15. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

ideas

Sounds good.

I hope you get a few.

The idea side of it,after thirty years of collecting marine species and twelve years of that commercialy,i would want to have a least some good ideas.

Hey,What type of marine soecies are common over there for you guys in what general areas and when are they common.

This year for us,is looking good for angels and next week we go out to check as to how many blue tangs are starting.

Last year we had millions of blue tangs drop around here.

Recent Posts