aandtsociety low tide collecting trip

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 11 Apr 2009.

1. pkc

pkc

Another great trip.
    The weather wasn’t the best, there were a few showers, but there was some shelter and when it stoped, it was great.
    Feeder shrimp, peppermint shrimp, seahorses, little ocys, crayfish and a small Chelmon, I won’t put the Chelmon pic on as we see heaps of them and I forget what else was gotten as these are the only pics I have to use.
    No one wanted any seahorses at the moment so none of them were taken, only one pipe fish was wanted and this is the first time for ages a little ocy was kept, they are normally a pain as they escape easily, so they are always left behind, the area it was put in, there is no escape and it can be fed and looked after easily.
    Lots of peppermint shrimp around as there has always been here since the first time I came to this spot in the late 70s with my brother.
    The life forms are a little greater in numbers than over the past 6 or 8 years as the water the last two seasons did not get very cold so there is a bumper year out there for all life forms except the corals, they did very badly and the algae did very well, but that is always the way, when the algae blooms the corals go down, shame, it has been like that for three years now and the coral numbers a diminishing.
    The crabs, lobsters, prawns and eating fish are doing so well these days; in some areas you can hardly see the bottom of the ocean!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RUAN

RUAN

cool man gr8 pics:thumbup:

4. FransSny

FransSny

awesome finds man

5. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

As usual Fantastic

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Really like the pipe fish!

7. lIghty

lIghty

awesome collection

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Nyc

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW! I am REALLY JEALOUS! I tried a collecting trip on our sub-tropical coastline..... Got SOME fish, but NOTHING LIKE YOU!

WOW! HUGE AMOUNT of shrimps!

10. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

thanks guys

The shrimp are always in big numbers in the warmer months in the bays.
    They feed on the algae and micro life forms in the muddy sand areas.
    The clearer the water the less they like it because of predators.
    Just look for a pool areas that at low tide is regularly out of main water body,only by a little and the water temp can get above 24 in summer and not below 12 in winter and there will be heaps there in the warmer months in the very shallow open areas of the muddy spots.

I go through the area and make the water dirty with my feet in 1 to 6 inches of water,than go back a few minutes later when they reform and scoop around with netting as they cannot see the net through the murky water that they now trust.

works evrytime.

For winter we will get millions soon and freeze them in there water so they don't dehydrate and that lasts all through the cooler months.
    :thumbup:

Recent Posts