aandtsociety late april blue tang collecting trip

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 30 Apr 2009.

1. pkc

pkc

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Looking good, I was wondering where all the Regals had gone :whistling:

4. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

regals

There were heaps out there as usual.

one of them was caught in eight foot of water,there are heaps in 15 to 25 feet most years,in certain spots.

Though they were mainly only last seasons fish there,as the weather for the collectors working with hookah have had a rough season so far,so they got to a largish size un collected to some degree.

There were around a hundred in the shallows where we were and they said down deeper there was a lot more than that.

We have two reefs in particular that pick up a hell of a lot of regals nearly every year.

some times we have seen thousands in some seasons,the collectors used to get all of them and you never saw adults there,the guys are getting old now and some of the new guys don't know the spots and i am not telling them and one of the best kept secrets about the regals in mass collecting of them is going to remain just that and the numbers will build now the old collectors are giving it a miss and their not telling as well,cool.
    :thumbup:

5. keyaam

keyaam

[​IMG]

6. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

ha ha

where is the filter?

7. RUAN

RUAN

that was a great finde

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Wow no wonder i cant find me regal:lol:

9. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

find

We get a lot of them each and every year to some degree in the spots we go to.

One year around four years back,i think it was,there were thousands of them,they were like flies in the corals.

even in low numbers years there are always some in two spots.

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW! Holy COW!!!!! Why can't it' be me? I want!!

11. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

12. Falcon

Falcon

hmm judging from that awesome video I'd guess you just catch them right out of the coral:biggrin: wish i was there !!!!:(

13. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

tangs

you just scare them out and they always go to the next coral head,sit your net between it and the other and they go straight in,easy as,we could have gotten 40 to 50 of them,but we only wanted a few for the guys,i like tangs not surgeons,so always give them away.

Good exercise catching them though,one little one took me a half an hour once,yet these took us three seconds each,more or less,but there is always one that is cunning,than its very good exercise.

Thats why i do it still after all these years,very good,no impact,cardio workout and i love the ocean!!!!

14. Falcon

Falcon

aah cool stuff pkc sounds like lots of fun!could you post a video of you guys actually catching them or any other types of fish?please i would love to see this as i really battle to catch ANY type of fish while snorkeling!if you dont wanna put it on the public forum then pm me for my email addy or pm me the link to a video like this....;)

15. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

video

The video camera was a xmas present and was only figured out towards the end of january.

The idea was to get some video of some things to put on the net that might be a little different to get the club noticed,so far two videos we have put on our site are the only videos of these creatures in the wild avaliable,who new,that is better than we hoped for.

We havent had the right conditions as yet to get some video of one of us in action chaseing a few.

The weekend after this one coming,if the weather is good,we are going to the best over all snorkelling spot to collect on the south east queensland coast.

If all goes well there will be some video of all types of us chasing things.

Hopefully there will be a few leopard sharks around to get a video of one of us hitching a ride.

We have had some really dirty water around of late.

On the scuba dive off moreton in open ocean we dived in 35 metres of water with 6 metres vis.

At the back of the boat before we let go of the ladder,there was white water around us the current was so strong and Half way down the anchor it was pitch dark above and below,we were just floating down the anchor rope like some one sky diving,in the dark.

Two of the guys were out wide early in the week and they recon its 15 to 20 metres vis at the moment,i hope it stays that way or better.

we do have a shore collecting trip this saturday,but it wont be that clear there,some good fish and inverts though.

I will be so glad when all this dirty water is gone,its bleaching all the corals out there.

See yah.

16. Falcon

Falcon

hmm yeah i seen some anemones looking quite bleached out in the pics you posted......thanks again for sharing with us,hope to see more from you soon :thumbup:

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Thanks for the VERY INTERESTING and awesome updates!

Recent Posts