aandtsociety aus collecting trip(another one)

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 18 Jan 2009.

1. pkc

pkc

Another trip and a lot of fun and some nice stuff for the guys.

The water wasn't that clear but we got some good stuff in the three hours we were in the water.

I only wanted one fish,Shane actually did the best this time.
    But a few clubbies a glad we went now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy all!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW PKC! Geez - as I already said.....

Don't you guys have work for me there? LOL!

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

wow angels!! cool! What juveniles are they? At first glance i would think Semicirculatus, but i'm not sure, maybe a blue face angel? not sure what species you find locally

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

They also look like african or Goldtailed angels. Pomacanthus chrysurus

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

never knew it existed:) but i think you are right:thumbup:

7. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

hi guys

They were semi angels.

We get at that particular spot,(semicirculatus a lot of),(imperator one or two),(conspicillatus one or two,some years hundreds),(personifer one or two),(tibicen,heaps of these),(flavissimus,one or two),(heraldi,one or two),(bicolor,heaps of these),(vroliki,five or six).This is worked out per year.

(We get) doesn't mean we actually bother catching them,we see heaps of angels that are not that good to have in certain tanks,so we see them and don't bother getting them unless one of the club members wants one,than we will get it.

Some years depending on what wind bend the eastern current in and when decides on what species are going to be the most prolific showing there faces at the stage when they will come out and be seen size,which is around late January through to the end of march.

That is when we start seeing most of the new season angels.

Butterflies and bannerfish wrasse,etc are a little earlier and the tangs are slightly later.

There is one family of angels that are a little later and that is march to may, the chaetodontoplus family ones we get here,they need a cold current to bring these juveniles in.

:thumbup:

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

Shame the boxing shrimp, looks like he has lost his big pinchers

9. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

shrimp

Her nippers !see the green in her back,they are her overies!

She will have brand new ones to roll out when she sheds next time and realeses those hormones to tell all near by males she can to be firtalised (if no partener) and make perdators aware there is a soft dinner waiting at the end of that scent.

A lot of the time i will pull there nippers off to allow them to bond with a new male if i have one at home and she didn't have one,it never failes.

I have watched a complete shed once or twice,they do it the same as a crayfish,they split the seem in the shell between the head and tail and they come out through the join.

That day we got two females and no males in sight.

When the female has eggs she won't defend her male and take the chance on sacrificing any eggs in the fight,so if he has done a shed,no one will defend him until his shell has gone hard,you see it a lot.

Some areas you see this a lot because of a high content of dredators in the area,that target shrimp in particular.

These females,when they do there next shed as they would have to do when the young mature,would have most likely been killed as there would be no males to defend them when the pedators smell her shed.

It is a hard life out there for marine food chaine life,as these are.

Warr7207 likes this.
  10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Do you guys have success with your locally caught copperband butterflies or do they also tend to die off in aquariums?

11. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

chelmons

It really depends on where you get them.

It is like the moorish idles we get,we will never take one from pristein areas as they are hard to feed coming from that type of environment and they are better left to breed anyway.

So what we do with chelmons and the moorish,etc that are hard to keep,is we only take these types from the more discusting places that they started in as they would most likely not mature there anyway and the success rate is very high to perfect.

From high quality areas i think it is as low as one in ten we used to get that would feed easily,the ones we get now you could throw a steak in there and they will eat it(not really,but close).

If we have any new fish that are these types we always start them on with some junjivoe in the mix,or even place a section of it in the tank for them to chew on to get them interested.

We got a half breed of the the copper band and the truncatus the other day.

The truncatus is basicly a black and white copper band,it is part of the chelmonops familyish as well.

This one is half yellowish gold and half black and white,we would see them about one every two years or so.

We see a lot of things that are not documented or supposedly impossible,we report nothing,when you have been playing in the ocean as long as we have you know how things do not work.

For two years now there have been greynurse sharks at an area consistantly with no break and they are still said to be there only in their particular season and that is documented and a biologist the other day was tellling me this fact,if he only new!

You don't rock the boat or new laws will be introduced to sink it,thats the way it is.

The chelmon? is a pretty fish but it will be sterile,as all the hybrids we find normally are.

Recent Posts