Aaand behind chamber nr one!

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Eugene P, 23 Aug 2012.

1. Eugene P

Eugene P

Hi fellow Reefers.

I just got me a BOYU TL-450 and I'm having serious difficulty sorting out my temprature. In normal sircumstances it's a breeze, just pop it in ur sump.

Unfortunately with this tank there are 4 chambers to choose from. Now when I putthe heater 100W in 4th chamber, the return chamber as I call it, the temp reading is 29.5 C and in main tank 24.5C

I tried finding info regarding but nothing, please guys, if anyone has a solution let me know. I prefer not to have heater in display tank where it seams there's a more even heat distribution but then it's stairing you in the face the whole time!

Basically what I'm asking is it OK to have heater in 4th chamber with heat that high to maintain a 26 C temp in main tank?

:eek:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do not put the heater in the last chamber.The water level varies as your water evaporate. And the heater will be exposed at different levels due to that. The sensor part might be above water level, reading below what the actual water temperature. Then it will heat your water too much.

Rather have the heater in a chamber whose water level stays constant.

Eugene P likes this.
  4. mornewil

mornewil Morne

rather put heater in 1st chamber where your overflow is due to evaporation that occurs in return chamber. you dont wanna expose your heater when water level drops and bugger it up. some good advice i got when setting up my tank;)

5. mornewil

mornewil Morne

:lol:what riaan said:thumbup:

6. Eugene P

Eugene P Thread Starter

Thanks guys, ill do it this morning and bring u up to date by afternoon what effects where.

7. Arries

Arries

I have 450...3rd chamber works perfect...Reason it goes so high in 4th chamber is coz there is minimal flow..Water flows from 3 to 4 under the barrier and then gets pumped out by the pump...

Eugene P likes this.
  8. Eugene P

Eugene P Thread Starter

Temp is stable now once heater was moved to chamber 3. I keep on reading all the people throw away the microballs and cyramic rings. Whats the point then for even producing them if no one uses them ?!

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i use them in all my tanks, they work well, just need to keep them clean and ditritus free...

10. Eugene P

Eugene P Thread Starter

ok, I put my noodles in chamber 1 and balls in chamber 4. Got bout 5 kilo's dead rock and half a kilo live. haha budget bit tight! The guy at LFS thought me crazy for only buying that little:blush:

[​IMG]
    Do yo guys know if I can use the magnet cleanerpad on this tank? Not sure if its acrilic or not.

Any DIY options?

11. Eugene P

Eugene P Thread Starter

Current water parameters :\

ph 7.4
    alkalinity 7
    NH3 0.05
    NO2 0.5
    NO3 50
    PO4 0
    SG 1.020

fORGET THE CLEANER PAD TIPES !!!, ANY ADVICE TO RECTIFY MY WATER?

Seems to be bit out according to spec provided on forums.

12. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Tank is still new and cycling, so you can expect to have nitrates, nitrites, ammonia etc.
    Your pH is a bit low, try get it up to 8.3.
    Your specific gravity is also a bit low, if you plan on keeping corals bring it up to 1.024.
    Are you dosing any bacteria?

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You need to protect that wooden base the tank is standing on. It will swell up where it get wet frequently, causing pressure an the glass. Being such a small tank, most likely not a problem. But then again, do not temp fate. Can even wrap it in plastic bag.

With the dead rock, you have to be patient. Please wait out the cycle period. Remember the dead things in the rock must first be eaten, or rot away. And nature takes its time. You can speed it up with bacteria dosing, but cannot turbo boost it.

welcome to the long wait, staring at empty tank.

14. Eugene P

Eugene P Thread Starter

Ok, will have to dampen my exitement for bout 2 months right? before adding anything. I've dosed with 5ml of CYCLE NUTRAFIN.
    Thanks for heads up regarding plank, only temp cus I'm building one myself.

WoW this skimmer sucks! "i think" No matter how little of how much air I tune via air valve it skimms very wet. Have to empty lit bucket once a day.

15. Arries

Arries

Jip skimmer sucks big time thats why i removed it....Try using Special Blend or stability for ur bacteria as they are really good....:thumbup:

16. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Yip..hate the TL-450 Skimmer...:blush: ...if you're DIY enabled, you want want to give this Upgrade some serious thought.....right from the word GO...;)
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=28799

Again...if you are DIY enabled...:biggrin:..the LEDs would differ as this is FW, but dimensions are still the same...:p
    http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?10949-My-High-Tech-TL450

17. Eugene P

Eugene P Thread Starter

Great thanks for tips, "Mr Fixit" is what my fiance calls me and who am I to disagree ! :)

Recent Posts