A thought about selling second hand LED units

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Ridwaan, 1 Jul 2016.

1. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Hi Guys,

I had a thought in my mind regarding the sale of LED lights second hand..

Now, LEDs are rated for 5 years life span...With this in mind, shouldn't the price drop drastically if sold second hand?

For example if the unit/s are say 2 years old, then they have like 3 years optimum life left in them.
    Then the price should drop by 40%...Im giving them 20% per year over 5 Years...lol

Also when buying LED units, one should keep the invoice, so when selling them it can be used as proof of age of the units...

A lot of factors to think of but was just a thought on my mind...lol

This goes for the sale of second hand T5 and MH bulbs..An invoice would prove helpful...
    Else the bulbs should be given away for free...lol

Cool
    Ridwaan

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Where do you get this from? LED's are rated at 50000 hours so at a 12 hour per day @ 100% will give you 11.4 years. Running them at lower percentages will give you even more time.

For an example, Vertex rated their running time at 60,000 hours ar a core temperature of 125 degrees. But they only run them at 750ma with an approximate core temperature of 105 degrees. So that is 19 percent lower so should extend the lifespan by at least 19%.

So on that calculations of 60000 hours, add 19% which will give you 71400 hours. At a 12 hour per day cycle will give you 16.3 years. So according to your depreciation calculations their prices should only drop by 6.13%. :-D

Last edited: 1 Jul 2016
    mukesh and Christo like this.
  4. Adrian B

Adrian B

Well if Marius's example is correct Radions are cheap at the price if you consider they could last 16 years.

The initial outlay however is another story.

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Doesn't running temp also play a huge role in lifespan of LED's? The time given by manufacturers will be under absolutely ideal conditions, so how will running them slightly too warm effect things..will it halve their lifespan, less, more?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As with all other marine equipment, do not expect to get all your money back the day you decide to pack up.

But yes, theoretically, LED's should not drop that much in second hand value. Yet looking at the for sale section Radion Gen 2 goes now for about 3000 to 3500 secondhand. They were 8000 to 9000 originally.

7. 4age

4age

with the current prices on international brands...maybe guys must consider adding inflation costs when selling units:lol::lol::lol:

I was considering upgrading my lights and selling my units until I saw the costs for replacement lights 25k for a light unit is a bitter pill to swallow

459b likes this.
  8. Ridwaan

Ridwaan Thread Starter

We will not know until we ask...lol

So in other words, LED units can last 10 years.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

supposed to.
    Anyway, longer than a lot of systems.

10. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

The LED life span ratings are according to using the LED's at 100% 12hours per day. Also what most people don't know is the rating is for them operating at 100% over the said hours and then it will systematically loose about 5 to 10% of it's strength for another "said hours" and so on. Also that 5 to 10% is so small that we won't notice the difference. So actually our light units should last more than our human lifetime.

11. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

But like any electronic item anything can go on and on and on.... or you can have a brand new item running for a couple of minutes.

12. Ridwaan

Ridwaan Thread Starter

Interesting information...thanks guys...
    More input welcome...

13. aslam

aslam

Nobody's forced to buy a led unit second hand.
    If you like the condition and price, go ahead and buy it.
    Shop around and check the prices of brand new units they are certainly not cheap.

14. Frank

Frank

LED manufacturers like Cree and Luxeon etc only stipulate 50 000 hours at Minimum flux values. This is usually around 350mA for an average chip. Aquarium lamp manufacturers on the other hand (particularly the Chinese) will run that same chip typically between 700mA to 1000mA in order to give the aquariast the maximum possible Luminous flux. Of course it stands to reason you will NEVER achieve the lifespan.
    You will see that the higher end (German) quality fittings usually incorporate a larger number of chips running at a lower forward current to achieve the same effect. Bottom line is we pay way too much for Chinese fittings in my opinion. But then this is Africa! :)

Recent Posts