A struggling beginner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by alvinc, 9 Jun 2009.

1. alvinc

alvinc

Hello All, This is the first time I am writing on a forum. I have been keeping tropical tanks for a while now and just finished building my biggest tank yet. It is 1.2m X 0.5 X 0.5 with built in filtration overflows on the one side. It got me thinking and looking at Reef tanks though and I fell in love. I started looking at all the info on the net and am now completely confused with all the info out there. I have thus decided that I am going to use this web site only to start learning and getting info so that I can ultimately build my own fantastic reef tank. I am planning to start building on my 30th birthday about 6 months away. I hope I can realise that dream. So any advise would be appreciated and wish me luck as I begin this journey. P.S. I over prepare for everything in life so I expect to learn alot before I even begin. Thank you for having this forum, my faith lies in it!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa
    as you say, read read read:) it will save you a lot in the end with this hobby cause there is always something new:)

4. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA

5. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey Welcome!!! You will not look back on this decision. Marines are so much more interesting and fun than Freshwater!!! And it is good that you want to learn first before you start off and make a mess, and then end up thinking it's too difficult.

Patience is the most important thing here... Nice size tank!!!

I would recon you first need to decide on what you want? If you want to have a fish only tank, learn about that. If you want a reef tank, research that. Fish only tanks are not as involved and is a tad "easier" (if I may say that) than Reef tanks.

So before you do anything else, decide on what you want, as all your other things will depend on that i.e skimmers, lights, reactors etc etc etc...

But enjoy and please ask away!!! :thumbup:

6. alvinc

alvinc Thread Starter

Thanks guys

Thanks for the quick responses. I am definately sold on a reef tank, and to keep the wife and kids happy am only interested in "Nemo" and all his buddies from the movie. I am more interested in the live rock and plants than anything else. Also the actual construction and design of the tank and sump. Man I can't wait.

7. Jaco Schoeman

Yes, it is lovely. Just a VERY important word of warning regarding Nemo and his buddies. Please understand that Nemo is an animation, and the fish that are kept together in there, aren't all too compatible in real life!!! There are very difficult animals in there. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not just plunge in and want an anemone. I can not stress this out too much. Anemone requires prestine conditions, and clownfish do not need anemone's to live in, and neither the other way around. There are many other safer / easier options for Nemo to live in than anemones. I would just fool the kids and the wife, and rather get a torch coral, as this looks a lot like anemone's.

Then, seahorses, VERY DIFFICULT if not almost impossible for the inexperienced reefer. Dorry also has special needs, that yellow "bubble bubbles bubbles" fish is a yellow tang, and they too are difficult to keep...

Please research the Finding Nemo fish VERY carefully before you even consider keeping them. Remember as well that Anemones are animals, not corals. And corals are not plants, they are animals too... So take care in keeping them, and research what you like. have a look at some of the featured tanks on this forum, then you will see what they keep together, and where to place them in relation to light, flow etc etc etc.

There is a lot of homework to be done first!!! But you will love it!!!

viper357 likes this.
  8. keyaam

keyaam

Welcome to MASA alvinc. Nice info there jaco;)

9. FransSny

FransSny

welcome, dont be scared to ask

PS nice read Jaco

10. alvinc

alvinc Thread Starter

Jaco you beauty, this is why I chose this website. Excellent info, I will definately have to figure out a plan to BS the kids, wife will understand, aren't they all so understanding of hobbies - lol. One question if I may, what is a Nano Tank? I was looking at classifieds to see what sort of costs I am in for and there is a tank there for R5k and some goolge research shows it is a Nano tank. Am I completely off the ball. I just love the tanks with the curved front section. After seeing "Punks" rimless reef tank under supersized tanks, I am changing the dream, but I want to know.

11. Jaco Schoeman

A Nano tank is a tank with a total volume (including sump, refugium etc) of less than 130 /140 litres. Please note that Nano tanks are far more cheaper to start up and stock, but more difficult to maintain. With Marines, things can go wrong VERY quickly. The less water you have, the quicker it becomes toxic or deadly. The bigger the volume, the more stability you have (up to a certain point of course...) Your tank is a STUNNING size to begin with, yet a tad more expensive to start up than a nano.

IF you do decide to go Nano, you will have to have your wits about you. The curved tanks are lovely though. Check on a thread that was just posted by Bob the Reef Builder from Idol Marine. He has a new trick up his sleave on Nano tanks, as the "commercially" available tanks REALLY lack on reef requirements...

And BTW, my 5 year old was very upset when my Nemo didn't host his Nennie, he chose my hammer coral instead. But after I told her that the hammer coral was a better house for Nemo she was happy...;)

12. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

A warm welcome to you. I really like the start of your approach!! Research, research and research some more! It will save you lots of money!

Great advice Jaco!!;)

13. RUAN

RUAN

WELCOME TO MASA

:welcome6:

masahello

14. Jaco Schoeman

:teacher:

15. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Welcome man, Jaco has hit the nail on the head with his advice. My nemo's also would not host in my nemmie last year. My advice with the tank as a beginner myself, rather go for the tank size you want and save up for all the equipment if funds aren't readily available, it means more live rock, bigger water changes, bigger skimmer and more flow, but in the end I reckon for a reef tank that would be the right root to take, you won't look back. Hope all the research and planning goes well. If you are interested, go to the members setups and look at medium tanks, i think the size you mentioned would fit into there, there are some really stunning tanks in that section. Go well

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Alvin! Great to have you on-board!

The guys have already assisted you quite well - given quite nice info!

PLEASE REMEMBER: You NEED to have a HUGE AMOUNT of patience in this hobby!
    Also - you NEED to ask as MANY questions as you can, that you can become the ABSOLUTE BEST REEFER that you CAN!
    Another thing: PLEASE READ AS MUCH ABOUT MARINES AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN!

Please do NOT just believe ANYTHING your local pet shop/local fish shop tells you - they MOST TIMES just want to sell you something (mostly - not always). BUT, better come and double-check everything you are being told, here with us! It's the BEST way that you don't waste money, and ensure that your lifestock stays alive!

Please have a look at our other "New Members" threads, as well as "Members tanks and setups" - PLEASE identify a tank that you would like to replicate - and then ask questions that we can try and assist you in obtaining and achieving this goal!

Good luck mate! Enjoy your journey into the world of keeping marines! This is a VERY satisfying life-changing hobby!

17. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to Masa

18. Prodigy

Prodigy

Welcome to masa i see the guys have been giving u some good advise and there is a huge amount more of info in this forum!!!!

19. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

Recent Posts