A simple but clever water chiller idea from the computer overclocking community

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by RocketRooster, 14 Dec 2012.

1. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Hi all,

Don't know if any of you have ever seen this before, the idea has been around for a long time already.

[​IMG]

It's called the Bong chiller (because it sorta looks like a Mary Jane bong :D), only much bigger.

The idea is very simple. Take a length of 110mm PVC pipe, glue it to a 45-degree junction, and glue an end cap on the bottom (the top stays open). Then you affix a 120mm fan to the open end of the junction, and rig up a shower head at the very top (I'm thinking an all-plastic gardening shower attachment would work)

The water showers down from the top, massively increasing the surface area for the single fan to cool.

Guys are using these things to remove over 300 watts of heat from their computer systems, and it works very well. I'm just not too sure how salt buildup will affect it though.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I just did a Google Search...:p..never heard of it, but somehow I seem to recall "it"...I did see loads of Info on it, on the Web and a youTube or 2...honestly don't recall if someone on MASA mentioned it..maybe it doesn't work with Aquarium Tanks...? as I'm sure SOMEONE would have found it and asked about it...:blush:

Beginners Guide hee hee....
    http://wc101.com/guides/bongs/

4. vatso

vatso

It would work

you will get salt spray however and that could cause things to rust and salt everywhere - but it's a good idea

5. RocketRooster

RocketRooster Thread Starter

Some sort of screen made out of muslin/cheese cloth at the top would probably stop most of the salt spray. Some guys attach a 30w pot (adjustable resistor) to the fan's supply to tweak it to not spray water out the top.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2012
  6. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Cool idea,,, similar concept to evap cooler, actually it's the same... Haha...

Suggestion: instead of using a shower head, use those tiny garden irrigation heads... 6mm I think is the size... It's makes the water droplets way smaller, and thus increasing the effectiveness...

What fan will you be using?

Hooking a temp controlling unit up to this will make it super awesome!

I've actually thought about evap cooling for a while now, but just couldn't figure out how I will get the air in the cooling chamber! Guess you solved that one! :thumbup:

7. RocketRooster

The fan that's normally used is a 120mm fan (okes glue a flat piece of 4mm styrene plasticard to make a mounting surface for the fan).

A 12V 120mm fan has enough CFM power to cause a spray out the top, even with big droplets. Using a smaller droplet size might mean that you can make the whole thing a lot smaller, but dealing with spray is going to take a lot of experimentation I think.

8. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Oh ok. I see.

How bout reducing the fan size to 90mm?

9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

This is the exact same principle as Idol Marine's EVO Cooler. And from what I have seen, it definitly works.

10. RocketRooster

I would just put a pot in series with the fan's VCC, that way you can tweak it and have it run quiter as well.

11. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

For a moment I forgot what a pot is...:blush: if I remember correctly it a thing that you can alter (with a knob) the output current right?:whistling:

Seems like you are on the clued up Sid of electronics? I'm totally clueless... Will one be able to get a simple controller to switch the fans on if temp exceeds a certain value? To do this with ardiuno or a reef angel will be simple enough, but is there any other options out there?

12. RocketRooster

I know the basics. :)

It's a variable resistor, so it drops voltage - which limits the amount of current the fan can draw (Ohm's law). You can run the fan off one of those wall warts (little DC transformer goodies that plug into the outlet).

You can run a 220v fan as well but then controlling it becomes more tricky and expensive. I don't see the point in 220v AC fans. Using 12V DC fans means that you open up the wide world of cheap computer accessories, such as fan controllers and whatnot. There's also less deadly voltages near salt water..... it's a no brainer.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2012
  13. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Nice idea, id like to know if the top is sealed off and if the fan is blowing cool air or sucking out hot air.

14. RocketRooster

Fan is blowing in ambient air.

15. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Fan blows air into the tube and goes "upstream" through the falling water and exits the top.

16. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

But remember that evaporative cooling only really works in the drier / less humid parts of the country. So not that effective in durbs.

17. RocketRooster

Ya... you might need a dehumidifier at the coast.

Lol - you win some, you lose some!

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

could be noisy
    will sound if somebody is taking a shower in your sump cabinet :biggrin:

19. RocketRooster

Yes, noise is a problem. Some guys run ping pong balls all the way up to the shower head which reduces noise (and loses some efficiency)

20. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

:lol: that one made my day @RiaanP !

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  21. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Hense my thought of smaller irrigation fitting... :tt2:

Ok, so if one adds a sponge at the top, it should fix the problem of water blowing out the top... That sponge we get with some of the skimmers, but opt not to use them cause they nitrate bombs...

Recent Posts