A little digging problem

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Paul B, 12 Sep 2013.

1. Paul B

Paul B

I have a little digging problem that is going to be a pain to fix. I have two pistol shrimp (that was a problem already) they are digging machines and as they get older, they seem to think they are building the New York City water tunnels. They make hills about 8" high, then after a week or so, get bored and build another one someplace else. The gobies in the tank take turns living with the shrimp, it is all to modern for me.
    A few months ago I removed a good quantity of rock, pushed down their mountains and moved all the rockwork to the back. They kept digging until the rocks were once again hitting the front glass.
    And I don't have any small rocks, I either collected all my rock or built it.
    Some of them weigh about ten lbs. Then a couple of weeks ago, I did it again so I could clean the glass and I removed a lot of rock.
    This morning I see that a large rock is laying up against the front glass and the montipora coral on it broke off.
    I tried harsh language on these shrimp, but that didn't seem to work. Maybe I don't speak "shrimp".
    I figured out how to fix the problem but it requires a lot of re doing of the tank, not something I want to do right now as I am to busy getting ready for winter. The boat needs to be winterized, tomato plants need to be pulled out, winter cleaning and everything that everyone on here has to do.
    But what I need to do is remove the rock and corals on one side of the 6' tank, remove that gravel and put the bases of the rocks down right up to the UG filter. All of my rock is on homemade "rock" platforms that have flat acrylic bases on them. By putting them under the gravel, the shrimp will not be able to get under them to topple anything. Then when that side is done, I will do the other side.
    Before I do this I need to decide if I am going to make more base column's to raise the rockwork on or do what I have been wanting to do for years, and that is to build a platform that will look like very thin Tonga rock and build the rocks on top of that. That platform will be suspended off the gravel by stainless steel cables about an inch and not be seen from the front of the tank. The entire reef would be able to be lifted up about 5" off the gravel by the pulleys on the cables. This odd configuration will give me the ability to raise the rocks to either clean or look for an animal that I can't find. I should also be able to spot eggs that I find it hard to see.
    Of course this is not something that is needed, just a cool idea that is rather a pain to implement. If I do this, I would not need to remove the gravel to plant the rocks below it. So I am in a quandary.
    Here is a video of the shrimps tunneling their way into the hearts of millions. :blush:
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Cool video, good luck with the build. Just on a sidenote, you say you gonna do what we all on here do, when winter comes...
    Let me help you clarify something here....lol..... When winter comes (2 months of temps below 25 deg cent), we wear denims and a not too thick jacket.... (sorry, no smileys usage on tablet). Soooo, our vegetables still grow throughout winter......
    Best you come live here...lol

4. Mrclownynennie

Mrclownynennie

Don't honestly think metal cables and pulleys are going to look nice in a tank!

5. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

None of this would be visable, the tank is built into a wall and it extends a few inches into the cabinetry on the sides, so you can't see the sides of my tank, or the top.

[​IMG]

Winters here are slightly different

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Sep 2013
  6. seank

seank

Ouch Paul. I would really not survive in those temps. I get withdrawel symptoms if I do not see the sun on a daily basis.
    Is that pic for real?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I places sections of 50mm PVC pipe under my rock work. 300 to 400mm long pieces. Laying flat in the substrate. With rock directly on that. It gives me a very stable base. Spread the weight of the rocks better. And cannot be tumbled over by diggers. Plus it raises my rock work 50mm closer to the lights.

At the front where you could see pipe sticking out, I places small tennis ball size rocks to hide the pipe. My old Watchman goby used the pipe as his house.

Just an idea.

8. seank

seank

9. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

10. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

That picture is for real, but it is a little north of New York.
    New York is one of the few places that has over a 100 degree F temp difference between winter and summer. It goes from just over 100 degrees F here to below Zero F. I don't know what that is in celcius as the US uses a stupid system.

11. seank

seank

:lol:

I doubt a shrimp would ever be able to lift those rocks due to the weight of all the rocks above it

12. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

They don't really lift them, they tunnel around and under them so they move.

13. Haaibek

Haaibek

Stunning picture of winter. Glad our winters doesn't look like that.

14. zak

zak

Interesting choice of substrate, very course. No issues with this and detritus build up?

15. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

Not yet, but the tank is only 42 years old. :biggrin:

We do get some winners. This was in the 70s, I used to have a snow plowing business.

[​IMG]

Recent Posts