A Homemade Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Additive System

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Warr7207, 1 Jun 2008.

1. Warr7207

Warr7207

Hennie

What do you think of this recipe ?

What are your comments on making up solutions and only adding when needed ?

Server error!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Dr. Randy Holmes Farley is THE marine aquarium chemistry GURU, and back in 2004 this particular article was the next step in my own venture into the world of DIY calcium additives, having previously only used lime water.

In 2006 he re-wrote the article, calling it: An Improved Do-It-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System The recipe I've posted here is based on this article (as I've acknowledged in that post...)

Since he wrote the second article things have changed in the US, though - the Dowflake and Peladow CaCl has been changed chemically, and now contains an unacceptably high level of another element, which makes these products unsuitable for our use. I would recommend that you use CP grade chemicals bought from a reputable chemical supply company such as Merc (Using AR grade would be even safer, if you had the money to spare, but I have personally been using CP grade for the last 4 years without any problems...).

Hennie

4. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Hennie

Thanks for the update recipe link

5. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Hennie

i noticed in the recipe they use Calcium Chloride. Can Calcium Hydroxide be substituted or will this change the entire recipe ?

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

No, calcium hydroxide is what we call kalk - slaked lime. DON'T add this in large quantities, as you would do with the calcium chloride. The only way to add kalk is to drip it slowly into a high-flow area, or inject a slurry slowly and controlled into a pump outlet.

Hennie

Recent Posts