A few Questions

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Mus-Tang, 20 Dec 2007.

1. Mus-Tang

Mus-Tang

Hi All

Thought of a few things I need to ask the pro's before buying the new reef tank.

1) Does a Sump enclosed in a cabinet cause condensation, and if it does how to prevent it.

2) What is the best sump type to use ie. Sand bed, etc

3) How does every one sort out there power outages.

Just a few for now

Regards

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

1.i highly doubt it as water is constantly moving
    2.chamber 1 skimmer and overflow, chamber 2 some macro algea eg.chaeto, chamber 3 DSB, chamber 4 return.
    3.UPS or backup gennie

4. Mus-Tang

Mus-Tang Thread Starter

Roger That .... Thanks for the answers.

Question to answer 2 : If you have all this in the sump, is lighting required

5. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

The fact that it is in a cabinet wont cause condensation, however you will have condensation as well as salt creep, try and run a fan into the cabinet to to get the moist air out.
    Many options but this sump (idea stolen from Millepora) is simple and ver effective in fact you can run a hugely complex system on this

[​IMG]

Generator? I have DC airpumps for my sump and display, need to do the generatoer thing.

You could get away just running one or 2 flow pumps and a return pump and a heater( in winter)

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Mustang (Hi Mekaeel/Kanga)...

I am agreeing 100% with what Kanga said.... But just in addition:
    - I got my 12v power-head/pump (bilge pump) from a shop in Cape Town city centre that sells boating equipment - this works very well (the water flow of the pump is 1375 litres per hour) in keeping some water flow in the tank if the power-outage is extended (and if I am home to switch on the pump).
    BUT, that said - I have noticed that my tank (and it's inhabitants) can handle power-outages fine, of up to about 6 to 8 hours..... I would start to really worry after that.... This of course depends on the size tank, the amount of water (and amount of dissolved oxygen in the water) and whether it's day or night... (night times should be better, because a lot (not all) of the inhabitants are fast asleep then and uses less oxygen when resting).....

Generators does indeed help (I have a small one in the garage for real emergencies - it would most likely cover my tank's return pumps, the two power-heads, and perhaps our fridge... :)

Otherwise I use a car battery-pack (emergency start battery pack) - which supplies 12v just fine for quite a while (a few hours in any case - running the 12v power-head....

7. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

very nice Idea, commercial marine here I come.

With a gennie unless you have an ATF switch i wont help unless your home

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

ive alos got one of these pumps you talking about Jacques,just need to get a 12V battery pack

9. Mus-Tang

Mus-Tang Thread Starter

Good Plan, Could maybe make it a little more complex with a relay of some sort, if the power goes out, other 12v motor kicks in. Will check the web for some circuits. Just a little worried playing around with 220V. I was browsing the net trying to find an example of a trickle charger for the 12V battery using solar power. This would be ideal, if the power is out the whole day, system will still run. Night time will have to worry a bit :). 1375 litres per hour is pretty good for 12 V

Recent Posts