A few questions

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Keanan, 9 Dec 2010.

1. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Hi again guys

1st. I was told to use acetone to clean the excess silicone and marks from my tank, what I would like to know is can I give my whole tank a rub down with it or should I avoid the siliconed areas? And should I dilute it or use it as is?

2nd. I need help on the plumping. Could someone please tell me what all I will need for the plumbing and what the layout should look like. Pics would also help a lot.
    Below is a pic done in paint, yes paint, I'm not too clued up on sketch up so please don't hang me for using paint.:whistling:

As you can see the sump is not directly bellow the DT because of there are partitions in the stand.

[​IMG]

Thanks.:peroni:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lv

lv

Hi 2time

I am no pro but maybe I can help
    a bit.

st. I was told to use acetone to clean the excess silicone and marks from my tank, what I would like to know is can I give my whole tank a rub down with it or should I avoid the siliconed areas? And should I dilute it or use it as is?

I used acetone to clean my tank and it worked fine, try not to wet the siliconed areas excesively and you will be fine. Also remember to wash the tank properly before use. I don't think acetone can be diluted, but I have mix dishing liquid with it before. I wash it down with a hosepipe afterwards and it will help the remove the residue that the acetone left behind after use. It worked pretty well for me.

2nd. I need help on the plumping. Could someone please tell me what all I will need for the plumbing and what the layout should look like. Pics would also help a lot.
    Below is a pic done in paint, yes paint, I'm not too clued up on sketch up so please don't hang me for using paint.

Rather put the skimmer chamber as close as possible to the tank, I see that your current design is quite far away from the tank. I would also make the skimmer chamber small and use the extra space for the DSB or auto top up RO chamber.

Good luck

Last edited: 9 Dec 2010
  4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

DONT add any dish washing liquid! Besides being a detergent it contains a bunch of other nasty ingredients to make it smell nice etc. How much excess silicone do you have that you need to use acetone?

5. Keanan

Keanan Thread Starter 2time

Hi lv, I'm not too worried about the little DSB space I have in the sump because I'm going to have a DSB in the DT as well. Also the sump is only 90cm(std 3foot) and the skimmer section is using most of the sump. I might leave out the DSB in the sump and put a refugem in it's place.

459b, the whole tank is pretty much full of silicone residue and some sections that's not so neat.

6. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

scrape it with a sharp stanley/nt cutter blade

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A lot of info is not given. What is the size of your display? And which side is your overflow chamber.

sump, only a 90L, standard 3 foot. What skimmer do you have in there? I'm currently using a standard 3foot as a sump, using a Reeftek TS1. More than enough space for DSB.

Are you planning any other reactors, like a phosphate reactor?

Your design is very misleading. Because a standard 3foot is 1 foot high. And looking at your sump, it should have the relation of 3 to 1 in terms of length to height. I do sugest to do the basic design in SketchUp. You will be amazed how many design errors you can discover when doing it with a proper 3d tool.

On the position of skimmer and overflow, it depends on your return pump strength. If pump is more than capable to push water 3meter and lift it around 1.8 without loosing to much head. Then I put the overflow on the right, and skimmer on the left. Close together.

If return pump got head issues, I would shorten its path, so I would put the return chamber on the left and return pipe on the right (overflow on the left).

8. Keanan

Sorry I forgot to give details, it was a bit late and was very tired.
    The DT is 120l*50w*70h going to have a DSB in the DT. It has two slimline overflows one in each end.

Sump is a std 3foot with 3 compartments, the skimmer is a Bubble Magus BM-NAC6 with a reef octopus OTP-2000 pump. Frans re-build the tank and sump for me(my old FW tank) I gave him the skimmer so that he could measure how big the compartment should be.

Not planing on any reactors but I might have a canister filter to use when I take down my FW tank, thats if I can use it.

I've tried using sketch up but with no luck. The paint was just a quick thing to show the distance from the DT to the sump.

I don't have a return pump yet. What one must I get for this setup?

Hope that helps a bit. If I've left anything else out, let me know.

Thanks

Keanan

9. Keanan

Bump anyone? Really need to know what all I'm going to need for the plumbing. Would like to buy it in the week so that I can get started.

Recent Posts