A few questions...

Reaction score
I've been doing quite a bit of research in the last week, so just want to clear some things up.

Firstly, one article I read (assuming its a bit outdated), they say filling your tank for the first time using dechlorinated water, not RO water. Is this acceptable? I really dont have the space for an RO system:(

I would like to eventually get hard and soft corals, do I need things like a kalkwasser, calcium reactors, chillers? I haven't got to research these things just yet but would prefer to get them before I start if needed? Any links to the ins and outs of these items would be appreciated.

Are there any recommended books for a beginner like myself?

I don't see how dechlorinated water could be better than RO except from a cost perspective. You could buy some RO.

Chillers help keep the temperature more stable but should only matter for SPS corals. For LPS and softies you would probably only need a chiller if the room the tank is in gets really hot or you are running a lot of lights close to the surface.

As for the kalk and calcium reactors this would be determined by the density of the corals in your tank. If you're keeping mainly SPS I'd say a calcium reactor would be a must.

Gaboon as far as filling the tank with dechlorinated tap water personally i wouldn't. Rather find a LFS with a RO unit or a reefer close by that has a ro and get the water from there. The reason for this, is there are a lot of impurities in tap water and they will end up in your system and stay there until they are used up by algae or exported by water changes. Equipment i would focus on to start with are the skimmer, lighting if you going corals and the chiller seen as we are going into summer. As far as reactors are concerned these can be added at a later stage as you can manually dose all supplements very successfully.

Gaboon as far as filling the tank with dechlorinated tap water personally i wouldn't. Rather find a LFS with a RO unit or a reefer close by that has a ro and get the water from there. The reason for this, is there are a lot of impurities in tap water and they will end up in your system and stay there until they are used up by algae or exported by water changes. Equipment i would focus on to start with are the skimmer, lighting if you going corals and the chiller seen as we are going into summer. As far as reactors are concerned these can be added at a later stage as you can manually dose all supplements very successfully.

Agreed - good advice. The old recommendation to use dechlorinated water is valid if you are setting up the tank with new, uncured live rock, and you then do a 100% water change after the rock have cured. Personally, though, I would start with RO.

If this is a reef tank, ALWAYS use RO (or better yet, RO/DI) water from the very start...

RO it is, gonna find out what they go for and whats needed, I'll rather break the bank than break my back transporting water across Joburg (even if its up the road):)

Gaboon you won't be sorry. My RO machine rates in the top 3 best Marine Tank purchases. Will save you money in the long term as well ;)

The sad thing is, the times i have read the same thing, some ppor mug goes to a lfs, assumes (as would many) that the lfs owner has some idea of what he is selling and is in a position to give sound advice, and comes out with rubbish like "oh yes tap water would be fine":014:

Know what you are saying. Heard a sad story today where a noobie baught a system from a shop on our north coast Empangeni way, set the tank up and the LFS owner said the tank should settle for 24 hrs and then they can come get their fish, now they are wondering why all the fish are dying..... Aaarrrgghh!!!!!

I often stand in a specific LFS near me and listen to the attendants giving advise. And I can just shake my head sometimes.

#1 Rule of being an aquarist: Don't listen to a thing those damn LFS's have to say. Find out what you need, find out what they have and just go in and buy the stuff...

or something... (sorry to the guys who do give good advice, but it's practically impossible for a newbie to tell which ones are which)

I often stand in a specific LFS near me and listen to the attendants giving advise. And I can just shake my head sometimes.

I was at my local LFS last summer (which is great, no rubbish advice) chatting with the boss and some friends (as you do) when a bloke walked in with his wife and 2 young children and said "the kids want nemo and dory" the shop went quiet, tumble weed was seen rolling down aisle three, we all looked at Mark (or scouser known for his curt advice is stupid questions are asked) Mark spoke rather more quietly then normal and, pointing to an Aquamedic Percula 120 said "Dory is in fact a regal tang, it will grow to around 7 inches long (you do the conversion) the smallest tank to safely house it would be that one." the bloke, youngest in his arms says" and how much is that then?" "about £1500" says Mark. "F*** that!!!" says the bloke "come on kids you're getting a bloody goldfish":lol: :lol: :lol:

I was at my local LFS last summer (which is great, no rubbish advice) chatting with the boss and some friends (as you do) when a bloke walked in with his wife and 2 young children and said "the kids want nemo and dory" the shop went quiet, tumble weed was seen rolling down aisle three, we all looked at Mark (or scouser known for his curt advice is stupid questions are asked) Mark spoke rather more quietly then normal and, pointing to an Aquamedic Percula 120 said "Dory is in fact a regal tang, it will grow to around 7 inches long (you do the conversion) the smallest tank to safely house it would be that one." the bloke, youngest in his arms says" and how much is that then?" "about £1500" says Mark. "F*** that!!!" says the bloke "come on kids you're getting a bloody goldfish":lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that's the way to do it!

I think I might be getting a goldfish soon too... :(

Back
Top Bottom