A few questions on ozone..

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by gaboon, 21 Apr 2011.

1. gaboon

gaboon

For some reason the water quality in my tank deteriorates quickly and generally only looks good after a waterchange.

This is what the glass looks like in 2 days..
    [​IMG]

I think ozone will help me out here but not sure what is the best (and cheapest) route.

There is a Hailea ozoniser for R780, the Profilux probe is about R1200, but would I need to monitor it as this ozoniser is apparently not very powerful

Who sells ozone reactors and roughly how much or is it safe to run it through my skimmer?

Thats it for now. Thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi, what i know of ozone is , its a great water sterilizer as in, it kills all bacteria and virises and is actuly best run through the skimmer.
    It will make the water clearer and probebly help curb whitespot, but not going to do much for the algea growing on the glass.
    You could have a high nitrate or phosphate which is the firtilizer for algea and or your lighting could be incorect on on too many hours a day.

When running through the skimmer there should be a stocking of activated carbon ontop of the skimmer to nutilize the O3 back into O2, as the ozone itself it very toxic - even to us.

Sorry couldnt be more help.
    David

4. crispin

crispin

does anyone have any good links with regards to ozone and its uses

5. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks David, nitrates and phosphates undetectable, had the same problem while vodka dosing.

I found this link on a DIY reactor, Ozone Reactor, DIY - Page 4 - Reef Central Online Community

Also have read that a skimmer is not ideal as there is too much flow and not enough reaction time.

Here's some light reading Crispin..

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

6. Tony

Tony

Nick I used to have a similar problem on my previous tank with the glass greening up quickly. What I have done differently in my new tank which has prevented this is to have a thinner substrate which I turn as often as I could. I have less live rock so that detritus doesn't get trapped.I run heavily with vodka dosing and Probiotics and skim much more than my previous tank. Despite your test results algae will only develop if there are nutrients available, so you may have zero readings but all your nitrates and phosphates may be trapped in the rock, substrate and present algae. We have seen this a million times on the forum where guys have zero readings but still have algae problems and cant figure out what's wrong.

Ozone like peroxide, GAC and potassium permangeanate will help bring your your DOC's down as they are all indiscriminate oxidisers bar the GAC. Incidently I use potassium permangeanate once a week and it helps a lot with water clarity.

The reason why ozone is run in a skimmer is that the ozone can be contained as it can be dangerous should it get into the main display in high doses. GAC placed on your skimmer outlet will help with this as it will adsord the residual ozone. Ozone should only be used in a well ventilated area as it has been know to give us humans headaches

7. AndrévN

AndrévN

Hi budds

Why use a probe, the resun ozonizer has a built in timer so when you switch it on it only runs for so long and it switches off. So you can control it yourself.

Pet Masters in Boksburg has some. And they open on public holidays.

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

dude can you give us your dosing scheduled and what you are dosing as a friend of mine was having the same issue. He was over dosing on the MB 7 instead of 2 drops a day he was dosing 2ml a day he changed his dosing and it was fine after that.

9. rakabos

rakabos

Old lights perhaps? They also fuel algae growth. Is your substrate also covered with algae?

10. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

I've gone back to basics, stopped all bacteria and carbon dosing as they didn't help, my water generally looks really kak. Although vodka cleared my water I still had algae blooms on the glass. I have thought for a while some LR is leaching phosphates, I plan on swapping the pieces I suspect with new LR.

Lights are newish, I've had this problem since the beginning so nothing new has happened. Substrate is clean, my sandsifters see to that.

Thanks Max, dammit I was there this morning. Surely you need to monitor your ORP?

@Tony, please give me some more info on peroxide and Potassium permangeanate, is that an alternative to ozone?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

what phosphate remover are you using?

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm using a Hailey Ozone unit. With small air pump. Running on timer for 45 minutes in the morning, after I left for work, and 45 minutes in the afternoon, before I return.

You use Ozone for one of 2 reasons.

1. Kill Bacteria
    2. Removes DOC - that yellow look in the water
    To kill bacteria, you need probes and everything automated.
    For yellow water, 30 minutes to 1 hour twice daily is enough. Been using it for over a year now. And I'm happy.

13. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

@ziyaadb Rowaphos and also have chaeto thats growing rapidly. Should also mention I removed the small scrubber just to compare and the scrubber seems to have been more effective at keeping the glass cleaner for a bit longer. Adriaan is doing a quote for me to enlarge my sump and incorporate a better scrubber.

@RiaanP please explain how you run yours ie. connected to skimmer, ozone reactor etc. cause I just want to remove DOC

Thanks

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

OK, @gaboon
    Timer, with both airpump and ozone unit plug into it.

airline from pump to ozone unit, due to my setup is over 1m, no problem.

From Ozone to skimmer, got a T piece just below the TS1, airvalve / silencer. Go into the T piece.

It pushes enough air, to be able to blow bubbles into skimmer when skimmer is turned off. So like today, when I dose Prodibio and you need to switch the skimmer off for 24 hours, you have to remember to switch the ozone plus airpump off as well. Else you get this funny glub glub glub sound from your skimmer.

As mentioned, it runs 45 minutes, in the morning after I left for work. At afternoon before I return.

Ozone is the most corrosive agent out there. It will react extremely fast with anything. It breaks down or combine with anything as quick as possible. Including with minerals you dose to your system, like Iodine. And Iodine do you a short live span in your tank anyway, so set up the time your ozone run, and the time your dosing pumps run at separate times if possible. Else Ozone will counteract the chemicals you dose, reducing the amount of chemicals available for what they should do.

15. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan, is the TS1 your main skimmer or just the ozone reactor? How have you added carbon to the lid of the skimmer? Sorry for all the questions

16. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Aye cant help boet u have all bases covered

17. Tony

Tony

Nick, I just use a tip of a teaspoon of Potassium permangeanate once a week. Add it to the beginning of your sump so it has time to work befor it hits your display. I havent had any problems with livestock except xenia who sulk a bit. Peroxide is pretty much the same as it is an oxidised which breaks down into oxygen and water and is also great for oxygenating your tank in a power failure although I have never used it as an oxediser. Nick I would suggest going back to vodka and probiotics to reduce your nutrients. If your glass clouded up it means you dosed too much vodka and you have a bacterial bloom. Go at a dose of 1ml per 100 litres of water and skim aggresively. Kick up your substrate regularly to lift old detritus regularly which add to your nutrient problems

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Currently, the TS1 is my main skimmer.
    outside on a 240L tank I got a TS2.
    I know, I know, it's the wrong way around....
    Next week, I'm getting a bigger sump, and I will then swap the skimmers.
    So then the TS2 will be my main skimmer.

No Carbon to the lid. Actually, not sure how will you fit carbon to the lid. The TS1 got 6 little holes on top. So how will you get the holes connected to some type of reactor?

19. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

@Tony Can I get potassium permangeanate from a chemist?

The side effects of carbon dosing outweighed the benefits for me ie. bleaching, cyano, dino's etc. The only benefit was a slight improvement in pinks in a few SPS colonies.

I managed to beat my bryopsis problem so now have no algae in the tank except for the bloom on the glass and definitely wasn't overdosing vodka, never went more than 2ml's a day.

I Must come have a look at your new tank some time.

Thanks @RiaanP is it setup inside? Apparently the ozone gas should be passed through carbon before released for your own safety.

20. chikaboo

chikaboo

Just ask for condies crystals at the chemist ....

21. AndrévN

AndrévN

What is your TDS on your RO water cause that can cause shit. Ask the bushman I think his name is, they have a massive set-up to get his water clean. No i have never i switch it on when i think the tank needs it as the built in timer switches itself off, so then just switch it on again when i require it.

In my opinion if you do vodka dosing you looking for shit if you not sure how it works and i mean 100% sure. Ask mek his a pro in that field. I did it for a while and had endless shit with algae and blooms and and and so i left that for the guys that knows how or in the mood to live on the edge.

I rather keep my setup - plain, simple, hassle free and Maintenance to a minimum. And i've mastered it on my system. So i am happy. I do not add prodibio or any other stuff that i do not need. I do have a small bottle of magnesion, strontion and koral colour i bought months ago. This i add when i see fit and not on a program basis. Have a calcium reactor, ozone, an old shorty skimmer and a uv light i haven't switched on since i can't remember. A phosphate reactor thats been off for almost a year. But i started doing water changes over the last two or three weeks with bio activ as i need to see if i can keep sps with all my nemmies as they kill them FAST. And i do confess my tank seems better since changing water with with the bio product, but still early days and i need to see.

Why not stop the vodka and all the rest let nature take its coarse and help you out, as i said before she's been doing it for millions of years why try and perfect it with additives if she has a way to do it by herself. Get yourself some nitrobactogen the cheap type from pet masters it works better than all the stuff i've used at R69 a big bottle. And have a loook what it'll do for you. I haven't used it in ages as i gave it to a fellow reefer in need from springs. :whistling:

So try to keep it simple for a month maybe you'll be amazed at what you see. :eek:

GOOD LUCK.

Recent Posts