A fair price

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by williet, 8 Mar 2011.

1. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi all

Someone offered me a 5ft tank(150x60x60) which it is not new (stand is though) but comes with skimmer, t5's, 2xhalides. He is also giving me the Sump , powerheads, LR and Live sand and live stock. He wants me to make an offer. What price would you guys think is fair? Note that it does not have a cabinet and the system is very mature ( I recon about 6 years old)

I am not sure. Please help?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Tell him you will give him R20000 then he can take R12000 and give me R8000 for letting you pay that much... hehehehe :lol:

No really, I think you would have to make sure the glass is not scratched, and the stand is not all rusted. It has happened before where guys bought stuff that was all messed up. Also, how much Live Rock is there? What Livestock are we talking about?

A breakdown quickly:

Tank +/- R2000
    Skimmer +/- R1000 depending of course on what skimmer
    MH's +/- R1500
    T5's +/- R1000 depending on age etc
    Powerheads +/- R600
    LR +/- R100 p/kg
    Livestock unknown...

I would say make an offer of R8000 and if he wants more he will tell you... But I recon you gonna agree on around R10000 - R12000 here...

4. williet

williet Thread Starter Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Lol!!!!!!
    The tank is old (he was from the old school). He Has lots of awesome liverock and the stand is stainless steel. He also has no scratches on the glass???

5. Afsal

Afsal

a lots depends on what livestock (size/health etc) he has. Hardware these days , unforetunately has very low resale value (second hand that is). But make of skimmer , pumps etc will help on deciding a fair price.

6. Suhayl

Suhayl

8 years old equipment is quite old already, I wouldnt pay much for the equipment part. Look at more the qulaity of livestock than looking at the actual tank and other stuff, than make a price. A few years back I was offered a 2.4m complete with equipment and loads of livestock for 5k. That was a bargain but had to pass as was too much to move for me.

7. IMarine

IMarine

I agree with Suhayl,for old equipment no ways,first thing first if the tank is that old i will not risk restating that tank again,i always say tanks life span is about 10years or so then silicone and joints start coming loose,i mean all tanks are build with a bit of stretch so that the tank does not bow,rather offer him R5000.00 no more, as is,i will say build a new tank, and then check all live rock for signs of pest and at any given time you find any pest i will say recycle all live rock,there is a lot of reefers that will say live rock is better allive than dead rock,but i always strip all live rock down to where there is no life and restart,rather safe than sorry,i remember a clients tank that had live rock in for over 2 years and about 150kgs in, all looked good but when i stripped the tank to re do found baby flat worm fire worm and lots more,i dried that rock out totally for 4 weeks and restarted the tank all over, and cycled the tank for 6 weeks,the tank is about 8 months old and looks like a tank of 5 years old with corals bursting with col and growth,a leather that was 5cm big is about 30cm in length and could never grow any bigger in his old setup,pls take caution when buying live stock and check all fish and corals,if you want ask a reefer to go with you and check,its the best money you will ever spend,a example i am sitting with over 100kgs of fijie rock that i dried out totally and its gone white,i am going to start re cycling it and i will post pics on what it looks like and after 2 months you will see the difference . Sorry for the long write but as beaning in this game for a few years i have seen to many reefers blow big bucks and packing up a few months later. ALL THE BEST

8. Suhayl

Suhayl

Ok thats the same I do with my liverock. I bought from 2 reefers Figi liverock approx 100 kg infested with apstasia. Well the easiest way getting rid of them was killing the rock and reseed it again. You wont have to also deal with that kak algae lots of people suffer from. When you start off with the wrong foot you will have to deal with never ending kak all the way. Example will be endless algae problems, fish getting sick all the time, corals not surviving.

9. FransSny

FransSny

Willie, the best would be to post as complete a list as posssible regarding exactly what is included in the deal.

As mentioned by the guys the equipment might be a bit old , or he might have upgraded recently.

LR & LS is difficult to say, but sometimes you can buy horeself a load of crap. I had a client who bought a system with LS, upon inspection the LS wasnt really special and a lot of species not really compatible.

As for the tank ...mmmm I have built and repared a lot of tanks for guys, sometimes they seem scratch free etc , but as soon as there is a little bit of algea or coraline growth scratches magically appear. It might then be more expensive replacing the panel etc.

Recent Posts