A DIY Idea!!

Reaction score
So i have one of these black dustbins u get at Game, roughly 150L i think, which has been sitting in my garage ever since i moved into my new abode. I also have a spare one of those Intex porta-pool pump/filters sitting in there. What i am planning is cutting 2 holes in the bin and attaching the pump piping to the bin and filling the bin with NSW for water changes. Not only will this give the water circulation, but with the filter in the pump will also filter my water. Will then buy a 2nd heater and keep it in the bin to keep my water temperature the same for quick and easy water changes. Hoping to get this water quality better than that of my tank atm. What do u guys think? Is it a worth while mission?

Similar to what I do, I also have one of those black dustbins, I just have a pump in there for 24/7 circulation and a heater, when it's time for a waterchange all I do is attach a pipe onto the pump and pump into the tank, makes life very easy and you always have a good amount of ready water on hand in case of emergencies.

I do exactly what Viper does, except my dustbin is grey :p

Do you guys think this will work with a green one too? :whistling: but my old swiming pool pump may be a tad strong. it may create a vortex big enough to sink the titanic
:nono:

Just be careful of using old swimming pool pumps and filters etc - there might be some chemicals in them that can be bad for aquarium use. That goes for containers/dustbins and bath/wash tubs too ;)

Just be careful of using old swimming pool pumps and filters etc - there might be some chemicals in them that can be bad for aquarium use. That goes for containers/dustbins and bath/wash tubs too ;)

Good advice, try to use plastics marked for food use or with foodsafe markings on them

Dustbin is ok for water and vegetable storage :thumbup:

Here are some pics of my handy work...keep in mind i am a chef and am not good at the DIY thing (fiance says i need to call in an electrician to change a light bulb). I got a viaaqua heater for my water storage, however it has a little pic on the heater with a dusbin on wheels with a cross through it, but nowhere else does it say this heater is not for dustbin use :p. Would u guys leave it in the bin to keep the water temp ready for changes or maybe just switch on heater when i want to do a water change?
129749199fa7e53a1.jpg

I'm sure that symbol means something about how to dispose of it rather than where to use it, but if you keep the container somewhere dark and out of the cold, then it will only take an hour to heat up, i use a similar bucket and have left the heater on for 48 hours without killing the bin

does not want to upload more pics for some reason. Says uploaded but nothing shows up?? Weird.

Yip, it's there on Page 2 of your images. Copy all of the text in the BB Code IMG box and paste that into your post.

12974919a603b15e9.jpg

LoL :lol: Thanks Viper didnt see a page 2 there. Anyway thats the inside of the bucket, hope to fill it more over this weekend, about 50L in there atm. Piping stuck in place with pratley paste, this shouldnt excrete chemicals into the water should it?

Back
Top Bottom