A DIY Calcium Reactor

Reaction score
There are many different ideas when it comes to the construction of DIY calcium reactors.Some of the designs are difficult for the average reefer to build because we often do not have the skills or even the tools needed.I had some free time over December so I thought that I should have a fresh look at building a simple calcium reactor.My aim was to use off the shelf components and try and minimize any machining of components.

120 Gallon Reefs - DIY Calcium Reactor

Zookeeper, this has limited info, but I like the idea of using filtration canisters, they not expensive and plumbing fitting is not a hassle as they are freely available.

I have been thinking if this

Just wait guys Photobucket is down for maintance ,will post some pics soon as possible.

Zookeeper click the go advanced button under the quick reply box

The under the smilies there is a upload button, MASA hosts the pic then

23347833a866af55.jpg
img%5D55.jpg%5B
img%5D
The first problem is how do we build this lid.Well you have to ask why would you want such a complicated lid.Just look at all the nuts and bolts.There is also a rubber seal in there .

23347833ec3d0df4.jpg

I was looking for something that could be bought off the shelf so the simple solution was to use a union.

23347833ec37515a.jpg

To make a nice stable base I used a PVC stub.You can see that I cut the stub in two ,but this was only to improve the looks of the reactor.If you feel you can`t cut it then just use it as it came.

23347833ec35ea03.jpg

The base was glued on to the tube.The supplier who sold me the acrylic tube also cut me a disc for the bottom.Speak nicely to people and you may just be surprised.The guy glued the disc onto the tube at no extra charge.

23347833f0878460.jpg

You can see that the top of the reactor is simply an endcap with a hole drilled in it.The union is then glued into the endcap.

Back
Top Bottom