A Brief History of the Saltwater Aquarium Hobby

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 15 Apr 2014.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

Our hobby of keeping saltwater fish for the sole purpose of pleasure is not very old. People have been keeping fish for thousands of years, but virtually all of those fish were used as food. Asian cultures have been culturing carp and koi for enjoyment for centuries, but those are freshwater fish. Roots in Merry ... [Read More]

More...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bubbles22

Bubbles22

Algoa Marine Aquarist Society was the 1st in SA - founded in the early 70's. I've still got all of their magazines.

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I never knew they had a following in Knysna?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Is it possible to scan a couple of pages. Would be interesting to see. I'm serious.
    Any articles. Would be nice to see how the hobby and the knowledge evolved from the early days to today. Things that was the way to do it back then, but today we know of better ways.

6. Bubbles22

Bubbles22

At their peek, they had many international members. 450+ families signed up and paying subs - TBH, my "unmentionable's" father was one of the founding members and used to run the magazine for most of the club's 30ish year lifespan. Borrowed the mags from him.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2014
  7. Bubbles22

Bubbles22

Will see what I can do - haven't used a scanner for years...

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes please

Would be nice to see an article or two, with the information given then. But today we know that that info is sooooo wrong. There are today better ways. Not want to attack the old method. Want to highlight the advances made in this hobby and the knowledge gained in being able to provide better for the fish and corals. After all, back then, the old method was the best method they knew of then. Nobody can blame them. If it was not for pioneers trying to work out best practices, we would still today not be able to keep corals.

Thanks

Recent Posts