90 Liter tank without skimmer

Reaction score
Hi all, yes another noob on the site.:m13::thumbup: haha anyhow I have been doing freshwater for a long time now -had about 10 tanks at one point, currently only a 1000 L cichlid and a 600 L planted tank. I recently started up an old tank of mine, but as a marine tank. I have been working at a quite reputable petshop since the begining of the year and have been soaking up alotta knowledge since I had none regarding marine. The tank I started up was part of a dare from a colleague ,Its a boyu tank, running 2 liters of matrix-AWESOME STUFF- 250 g Purigen. I put in 10 kg Live Pink substrate from Redsea and about 10 kg of liverock.
Livestock :
I added 2 true perc's on the first day with stability-part of the dare.
A polkadot boxfish in the 3 rd week.
A cleaner Shrimp and a fireshrimp after a month.
2 x Blue Legged Hermit crabs after a month and 1 week.
As I am running a dual 24 light with 3 year old tubes I added xenia, zoas, plenty of mushrooms, 2 x small plate corals and a few odd pollyps.

A few days ago a friend of mines tank crashed so I helped him out a few friends of mine who had space in their tanks, as luck would have it we still ran outa space and now a few specimens have ended up in my tank.

New Additions:
1 x Banggai Cardinal
2 x Red Legged Hermit crabs
4 x snails
1 x Sixline wrasse
About 10-20 kg liverock
a few frags of zoas and other polyps.
Oh btw and also a bubble tip anemone that came with the liverock:m87::m85::m86: - While transporting hes bubble tip split in 2 so he thought he gave hes to my friend but I also ended up with one. It's been 5 days now and although Its traveling around its not dead yet. I fed it some krill superba.

My actual Question is : Would you guys say this size setup can survive without a skimmer?

part of the dare.

Almost scared to ask what the dare entailed. Adding fish on the first day of starting up a tank?!?!?

Would you guys say this size setup can survive without a skimmer?
As long as you have other methods of filtration and nutrient export n place, then a tank can run skimmerless

I am semi ginger so you know how we are:m14:
Thanks for the advice Legolas, i'll add some fotos later, everything is just shoved in at the moment, any comments on my light? I'm going to order a LED unit but will most likely only be here by next week Friday or even Saterday. will the small bubbletip survive?

Would you guys say this size setup can survive without a skimmer?
Unless you do rather big water changes weekly.
Matrix are good, but take note that in a flow through area they will not do the last part of the nitrogen cycle.

Btw guys please note that adding fish or coral on the first day is NOT something to do unless you have no other choice ie your tank crashed and you started up another one. I did it with the help of seachem Stability which works great but its still best to let the tank cycle as the fish did stress alot.

Back
Top Bottom