8G Nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by PeterWest, 6 Jul 2010.

1. PeterWest

PeterWest

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone can help me here?

I have two spare 8 gallon tanks that have been previously been used for freshwater. I was wondering if I could turn it in to a small reef aquarium with the one being the display tank and the other being the sump.

I was also thinking that I could get a small 2ft tank for the display and the other 8G being the sump and the other 8G being a quarantine tank.

If so what sort of filtering will I be using. I am planning to use a 150 watt MH as the lighting. I want to add 2 clownfish, a few shrimp, some snails and a few kilos of live rock. I also want to add a few easy corals to grow. I might also add one or two other fish to accompany the clownfish.

Does anyone have some ideas or suggestions to make on the and what I need to get?

Regards
    Peter

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. christiaan

christiaan

My first instinct - NO. Especially not with those fish.

If you want a YES it would depend on your reefkeeping skills and experience. if you have little or none, again no. If you have a lot, maybe but with other fish, maybe.

Reason for saying this: A small tank has many advantages but this is too small to control, in keeping a reef the most important thing is to keep water parameter STABLE, not easy(although not inpossible) to do.

If you are a beginner then you'll only be cuasing yourself headachs, a 100 litre nano can be a great joy. You will still be able to use the tanks you have in some sort of way.

There is a lot more to be said but I'd suggest you read through the begginer forums first and then post more questions. . .

Oh and welcome

masahello

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

on a tank that size dont use mh rather stick to T5's oh and welcome to MASA

5. Suhayl

Suhayl

It will work the one a display and the other a sump. The sump can have the skimmer with return pump. A float switch for the top up very important, because on such small tank you would have a problem with salinity. I ran a sucessful 45L tank in my shop with just 2 aquaclear hang on fiters, and a 300L pump for flow in the tank. It had about half kilo liverock with some zoas and mushrooms, 2 percular clowns. Lighting was 3 t8. My tank was very low maintanance. I would not use the halide on such a small tank because of the temp swings. T5 lighting would be better.

6. PeterWest

PeterWest Thread Starter

Hi Guys

I rather go with the 2ft tank.

The reason why I want to go with the MH is because I can get it for very cheap so I thought it would go well. I actually do not like fluorescence very much.

Is there any other suggestions you guys can make

Regards
    Peter

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA. You can also look at LED lights - some cool new technology, but might be pricey :(
    Some info for you in my signature on starting a marine tank ;)

8. Dane

Dane

Hey Peter,

You can make as tiny a reef as you want. A glass of water with a few zoas in it is technically a reef, but as we know - the smaller you go the more difficult it gets to keep things stable. Most noteably your temps.

8gal is what, 20L or so? I certainly think you could make a little reef out of that. They are called "pico's". But, you certainly cant put fish in such a small tank. Maybe some cool inverts like a purple lobster or one of the small mantis shrimp.

I have a mantis in a 25L marine tank with a few softies and macros. It is the easiest tank in the world... I havent done a water change in about a month now, just top up with RO. There arent many people on this site with experience with the very small tanks, have a look at www.nano-reefs.com.

Regarding the 2ft. Also a great idea! My tank is a standard two foot tank with no sump, skimmer etc etc. The lighting is just 3x18w CFL energy savers and two T8 actinics. And its really looking good now (IMO). BUt its imperitive to keep up with frequent large water changes to export nutrients. And some macro algae etc. again, read the articles on nanoreef as they serve a good starting point - if a bit oversimplified. I would also suggest going with the T5s rather than the MH because of the heat, but if you're getting the MH for very cheap then not a bad idea IMHO (how cheap? Can you get me one!!?? Harharhar)

People here are very quick to knock the smaller tanks, but I simply could never afford a big setup. My tank is running on very basic principles, and so long as you stick to a regular schedule I see no reason why should have problems. I was a total noob and I started off with my two baby clowns in a 25L with a gravel filled bottom, but quickly moved to the 2ft and its settled in nicely now :) I dont consider myself a particularly skilled reefkeeper, but I've never really had any trouble keeping my tank stable. except for the ONE time that I got lazy with water changes! Hahaha, they really are the crux on nanos.

The sollution to pollution, is dilution!
    please feel free to PM me with any queries. I feel like I'm waging the war for nano tanks on this site sometimes! ;-)

9. PeterWest

PeterWest Thread Starter

thanks Dane

Is there any way of adding more filter material to reduce the amounts of water changes needed?

As for the MH lights, I am going to make a stand for it and some cooling fans to keep the tank cool. It will consist of two fans on the far ends of the tank pointing in the same directions, which means the will bring in cold air and the other one will take the warm air out.

As for filtration I will use one of those 30 liter tanks as the sump the first part being the DSB and in the second part some marco algae that my friend will supply, and after that the protein skimmer. I will also use a 200 lph canister filter which I will stock with nitrate and phosphate removing media.

I want to add a few easy to keep corals and some fish, a few shrimp and snails. Do you have any stocking ideas for this sized tank. Also do you have any suggestions on a way to improve the filtration or anything else. I will be using a 150 watt MH (probably) what sorts of corals do you recommend for this?

Regards
    Peter

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I speak from experience here..going for something just cause its cheap is a VERY bad idea. Rather sit down, decide what you want to keep in your tank and then choose what equipment will be best. Spending a bit more in the startup phase will save you money in the long run.

11. Dane

Dane

Is this now for a two foot?

Well, you'll have a hell of a lot more filtration then I do at present. The one thing that I really recommend is filter floss. It pulls out a lot rubbish but you have to clean it like every second day. This isnt a problem if its in an accessible place like a HOB tho.... Still with the filtration you're putting in i dont see it being necessary...

With a 150MH on a 2ft tank you will have enough light for pretty much anything i think? You will probably need to hang the lights quite high above the tank. Water quality is going to be the issue for SPS I think. But i dont see why that would be a problem if you have a skimmer, a dsb and macro... Especially with nitrate and phos pulling media.... Make sure you place those two bags after the skimmer, otherwise its just a waste IMHO...

Sho, stocking ideas abound. Zoas and mushrooms to start with, but the MH might be too bright for the mushies - make sure you have an overhang in your aquascaping as a shadier area for some of the mushies etc.... Leathers also one of the easier ones. Plating monti is one of the easier SPS to keep. Frogspawn are a lovely LPS coral. Take a look at the Tank of the month feature on nano-reef for ideas. TOTM is a great place to learn what actually works... Oh, and I love the local sand shrimp that you can get in any rockpools. great little characters. But they can be a bit of a pain in the arse if you need to target feed corals... mine keeps stealing the food out of their mouths! lol.

ps: you didnt reply about getting me a cheap metal halide ;-) harharhar!

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I Doubt if fans pulling moist salt air out will last.

150mh on 60L is overkill in my opinion. Water temp problems and water evaporation problems. But it is your tank.

I had a standard 90L and used a standard 60L. And every week I had to test the water parameters. Great why to fasttrack your learning curve. Smaller tanks are a lot less forgiving compared to bigger tanks.

13. PeterWest

PeterWest Thread Starter

Hi Guys

The MH will be suspended quite a bit above the aquarium. This will spread the light more around the aquarium and to minimize temperature increase and water loss due to evaporation. With the two tanks together and the display tank, the overall tank volume will be around 100l so it should not be to bad.

Any other suggestions?

Regards
    Peter

14. Dane

Dane

I think it'll be fine if its high enough. But they do use a lot more electricity than T8s so might be more expensive in the long run?

Take a look at nano-reef.com and browse for MH setups. I've seen them on smaller tanks?

15. PeterWest

PeterWest Thread Starter

Hi Dane

But replacing the T8 bulbs and getting the ballasts are expensive in the beginning. Also I need a lot of T8 bulbs and ballasts to get the right watts per gallon where as the MH I should be able to get them easily. I have worked out more or less 700 rand for the T8 ballasts and bulbs where as the MH I can get for 250 rand, so the MH for me is going to be the better option. Plus with the MH I should be able to get more or less 10 watts per gallon. T5s are about 900 rand and only give me 6.4 watts per gallon.

Regards
    Peter

16. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

What are you planning on keeping in the tank?
    Maybe my maths is off but how does a 150 watt bulb give ten watts per gallon on an eight gallon tank?
    What is the make and kelvin rating of the halide you plan on using?

17. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

More importantly, what colour temperature is the MH globe? You might have to replace it and then the price difference might not be that big.

18. PeterWest

PeterWest Thread Starter

Hi All

@459b After mention the 8g i mentioned that I will rather go for a standard two foot tank which will be more or less 60l or 15g which with a 150 watt MH bulb will end up more or less 10 watts per gallon.

@marius

not sure about the colour temperture as of yet still planning to do some research when I get back home. Here is a link to the bulb that I am planning to get. No so sure about the quailty of the bulb but will wait and see. If the bulb is not correct I will source them from another place.

HQI Light 150W

As I have said before not so sure about the temputure of the bulb as of yet. I have only recently found out about this website so not so sure yet. If something goes wrong with that bulb which i hope it wont. I will get it at DrsFostersSmith.

Is there anything thatI should change besides the lighting or are there any other suggestions from you guys to improve the setup.

Regards
    Peter

19. PeterWest

PeterWest Thread Starter

Guys new plan.

Have got a spare 3ft that I can use noe

Any suggestions?

Regards
    Peter

Recent Posts