8 months running

Discussion in 'New Members' started by danie, 8 May 2009.

1. danie

danie

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Like I said on your other thread, you can make the pics up to 200kb, and lots more please!!!!

4. FransSny

FransSny

danie the pics are a bit far but from what i can see it looks great, pplease post more

ps you can also "crop' pics to zoom into an area & then compress them

5. Tony

Tony

Far pics but you can see the tank is healthy

6. scruffels

scruffels

swwet tank you got there! would like to know more about it!
    sump, dimensions, inmates, lights, flow etc!

7. RUAN

RUAN

great tank :thumbup:,would love to see the sump

8. danie

danie Thread Starter

sump

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. seank

seank

Danie, the Sump looks fine, but the Ceramic rings is not the way to go, reason, in time it builds up Nitrates in your system, best way is to go for a dsb (deep sand bed). You will notice the bottom side of the ceramic rings compartment is yellowish, detritus start accumulating between the rings and create what the guys call, a "nitrate Factory".

You'll need to remove them bit by bit over a couple of days (to prevent a "shock" in your system_) and try and replce it with a deep sand bed. Also see if you can get a cup of live sand frome someone just to seed your new sand again.

I am sure some of the gurus will explain better

10. FransSny

FransSny

see youve got all the hardware, old sump design and a bit small in my opinion (dont worry ive got the same one since the start without any probs...it just limits you in terms of DSB size, intalling a scrubber etc. You can alway add an extra sump later or build a bigger one.

as sean said rather get rid of the ceramic balls in exchange for a DSB or even LR

sean would that compartment not be to small for a DSB its only about 150 w x 600 l x 450 h 9roug guess havent measured mine yet

good luck danie

11. seank

seank

Good point Frans, maybe he must remove the pane on the left if he is going for Dsb. And just stick it against the shorter one, as the shorter pane is not really doing anything (look at the water level)

12. FransSny

FransSny

good idea sen...reason im asking is because im contemplating adding a dsb and yes that piece of glass doesnt really serve a purpose ...suppose to act as a bubble trap but its so wide it doesnt work..i stic my filter wool in there !

if one were to remove the glass all one would really lose is the "bubble trap'...i thinks

13. seank

seank

Sorry Frans, trying to keep up with Danie's threads. Just opend 03 different ones wrt the same system.

Well, if you run the filter wool on any one compartment, your bubbles will not go thru the wool anyway

14. FransSny

FransSny

mmm good point , im still a bit slow this early in the morning

maybe the mods can combine daies threads...it is a bnit confusing

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I had the exact old sump.
    What I've done is to make the first chamber the DSB, and last the skimmer and return pump.
    That way I could leave the ceramic rings until the DSB was active.
    Only trick was on the inlet, as not to disturb the DSB is to have the pipe go down, then at waterlevel have an 90 elbow turning forward horizontal. With another 30cm pipe. That is ended off. Then looking at the horizontal pipe, I drilled a lot of holes at the 10 to 11 o clock pisition, facing upwards and to the left. That distributed the flow enough and I had no sandstorms.

[​IMG]
    Here is the old sump with ceramic rings still in the middle, old stupid skimmer, and bio-balls flaoting around... Eventually I would have removed the middle glass and made the second chamber another DSB. That should be big enough. Ot have cheato in second chamber. No glass removed.

Only other option is to remove the middle glass pane and to make that area the DSB.
    Then Skimmer first, DSB then return. Problem is the time the DSB will take to becaome active with ceramic rings removed. Maybe put the rings with the return pump. In a way if possible that you still have water flowing through them for the time the DSB is starting up.

16. FransSny

FransSny

thanx riaan ..youridea seems less effort than removing a piece of glass...

just one Q...from the pic it looks like your skimmer is flowing back into the "bubble Trap" am i correct

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes, it did, else it droped to far created a lot of splashes and bubbles. Problem is the return pump is in same chamber, and I found this setup to work OK. A reeftek TS2 do fit in the last chamber.

Simplest solution should be,
    chamber 1, DSB eith flow distibutor pipe
    chamber 2, after all ceramic rings are removed, use it for cheato.
    chamber 3, bubble trap - for what its worth, or put heater in there
    chamber 4, skimmer and return pump.

Only problem was to get light to the cheato, either put eneregy savers on top "roof" of sump with DIY foil reflector. But must make sure top glass is clean.
    OR
    make a stand of 25mm conduit that can rest on top of the glass panes to suspend light above cheato.

I went option 1 with 3 20W energy savers. But 2 will be better.

Recent Posts