70w mh vs 24w t5

Id did think about that too @Slagter but want the sps too thrive and want all the corals colours to "pop".

You can keep SPS under T5's!! There are loads of really nice looking tank with T5's and a whole range of SPS corals!!

i would suggest T5 they are easier to cool and changeout for color.. as for SPS its the next step after getting softies and LPS thriving, dont jump the steps as the costs and losses with sps will be sudden if you are inexperienced in them.. Rather enjoy the progression to an SPS system

Given the option between T5 and MH, I would go MH. I have 2 Nano's, a 60L and a 120L both with SPS, ones MH, the others LED. I've only just starting playing with T5's and I can say i'm pretty impressed, they can pump some serious light but....they arent MH or LED. They just dont have the intensity. Also I would be curious to know what the depth penetration of MH would be vs T5.

But look this is an endless debate. The peeps with T5 will tell you to go T5, the peeps running MH will tell you to go MH, the guys running LEDs will tell you LED.

What you need to do is weigh up the pro's and cons.

MH is cheaper but draws more power and runs a lot hotter (Not such a biggy on a big tank but a huge problem on a nano, you will spend a lot of time on figuring out how to A.) cool it down and B.) auto top up).

T5 draws less power (although this is really debatable, to compete with 150w MH you will need between 4 and 6 T5's, which is between 96 and 144w anyways). The only real draw card I can see with T5's is they run cooler and you can mix up the colors.

LED draws less power, runs cool but is pretty pricey and is relatively untested. I went with this option only because I can and because it pisses off the MH users :p

And I would go with 150w MH, I wouldnt bother with 70w.

T5 draws less power

Watt for Watt they draw the same power

MH is cheaper but draws more power and runs a lot hotter

I disagree. Metal halides and T5's put out the same amount of heat Watt for Watt. It's just that the heat in a T5 is spread over the length of the tube giving the preception of a cooler light

Thank you for all the info so far guys. Alot of pro's and con's to weigh up.

You can get very good results from T5's , especially in the "mid water" species of SPS.

But in nano's water quality could become an issue IMHO without a lot of effort

What sps are you refering to Frans?

Like a cameleon on a smarties box lol

I've seen brilliant SPS tanks under T5's. The quality of the bulb plays and important factor. The tank at aquarium depot is under 8 X 39W( Total 312W) Geisemann bulbs and the colours and growth is phenomenal

Watt for Watt they draw the same power

I disagree. Metal halides and T5's put out the same amount of heat Watt for Watt. It's just that the heat in a T5 is spread over the length of the tube giving the preception of a cooler light

Some good points :)

The only thing with t5 they everthing looks fake in my eyes. It doesnt look natural as when dives in the reefs. The halides give intense light and when using the t5 with it brings out more colour.

I'm running 3x 70w MH's and 2x Actinics and my LPS and Softies are happy. The light intensity of the MH's is a huge up side but I feel the most SPS will require a 150w MH to thrive. I've not tested SPS under my MH as my tank setup is not geared to SPS but just my gut feel is that 70w would be too little.

whats the exact dimensions of your tank? 450x600 by what?

i find tank dimensions a key factor in choosing mh vs t5.

For example in my 800cube t5 wont work as the 39w is too long and the 24w would need too many globes to get the required light for the tank.more globes means more expense when it comes to replacement time.hence i will go for mh...

As for LED well it holds promise and could work,but for now is somewhat unproven and very costly,i would first tinker with MH and t5 then after you have got the hang of reefkeeping with these change to LED if you feel you want to try it(since a reef tank has so many other things to go wrong its best to stick with proven tech as a start)

Last edited:
Falcon have ever tested metal halide magnetic against a electronic ballast? I have and and there is big difference the electronic been far superior in every way.

Falcon have ever tested metal halide magnetic against a electronic ballast? I have and and there is big difference the electronic been far superior in every way.

I agree they are much more efficient but unfortunately a bit more pricey and globes have to be carefully chosen,what globes/ballasts have you tested exactly(brands)?

do you know where i can get 400w or even 250w mh electronic at a good price?and how much?

I tested an electronic Merolight ballast against a German magnetic ballast. Globes used were Aquamedic 250 de and Giesemann de 250w.
I have just a complete 250w se with BLV 250w for sale. Im also looking for a electronic 250w ballast. Preshan has a dual 250w electronic ballast for sale.

Back
Top Bottom