7 week old DSB

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by RiaanP, 9 Oct 2011.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

This was on 21August
    [​IMG]
    Post 87 on Upgrade my Downgrade - Page 5 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Today
    Full shot. Only circulation is 1500L/h powerhead on the left. Water pumped from main sump enter on right at the back. Outlet is skinny overflow centre back. Outlet too small to accept more inflow from tank above(inlet on left back)
    [​IMG]

Rock nest on the left. Things needs a home to hide and do their thing out of sight.[​IMG]

The Cheato ball. From left to right, about 500mm.
    [​IMG]

Bubbles in the sand and some worms.
    [​IMG]

More bubbles
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

More bubbles and worms
    [​IMG]

Some inmates, Short spine urchin and cowrie. There is another green short spine in there as well.
    [​IMG]

Small long spine urchin.
    [​IMG]

Strombo Snail, awesome detritus eater
    [​IMG]

These urchins and snail are all local boys (or girls)

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

looks great :)

5. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Nice RiannP, thanks for sharing:yeahdude:

6. RiaanP

Thanks.
    Have to take more pictures when this sump is 3 months old.

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

looking good, i see you have it on a stand, is that to easily view?
    i remember when i ran a DSB there was such an abundance of life

8. RiaanP

Its a remote DSB. A second sump. The overflow goes back to the first sump, in basket over first sump DSB area. So it needs to be higher. Also why the flow is not so wonderful in there.

Loads of copepods strutting their stuff. 2 Strombo snails, 3 or 4 hermits, 3 Urchins and 3 crabs I took out of my display. And one Babelonion Whelk (need more)

9. gavster

gavster

More close up's of the Strombo's please Mr P ;-)

Last edited: 11 Oct 2011
  10. RiaanP

OK, will do. He was at the back of the tank.

He is a local lad, from Park Ryne area. Very difficult to find in between the rock pools. Last time I been down there I found one in 4 days. But beware, they can hurt you. They are the only snails that can defend themselves against octopus.

11. gavster

gavster

Thanks Riaan! I'm sure I've seen them at some stage, I just wanted to get a better idea of what the look like. How do they hurt you? Do they have a piercing tool or something?

12. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Just a question on those bubbles: are they oxygen bubbles? Produced by algae?

13. RiaanP

Their Operculum (may refer to: Operculum (animal), a stiff structure resembling a lid or a small door that opens and closes) have a very sharp end at the back. And they can stab you with it.

The shell looks familiar to Cones, but got the eye wave on the side. When you see it, you will know what I mean.

End product of the nitrogen cycle.
    Nitrogen Cycle
    [FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]
    The nitrogen cycle is composed of 4 basic steps.
    Ammonia: Ammonia (NH3) initially enters the system via biological waste. These wastes may come from fish poop or dead organisms which are decaying in the tank. These wastes mineralize into the compound ammonia. Ammonia is a very toxic compound. Bacteria which colonize rock and sand surfaces utilize ammonia as food and convert it into a new compound called nitrite. Ammonia should always measure zero in a fully cycled tank.​
    Nitrite: Nitrite (NO2) is only slightly less toxic than ammonia. Fortunately, there are other types of bacteria that also colonize sand and rock surfaces which consume nitrites as food and convert them into nitrates. Nitrites should always measure zero in a fully cycled tank.​
    Nitrate: Nitrate (NO3) is a relatively harmless compound. Nitrates tend to accumulate in the reef system if it is not setup correctly. Fish can tolerate fairly high nitrate levels, but most corals do not. Nitrate is also a plant fertilizer, so its accumulation can lead to algae problems. The brute force way to control nitrates is to do large water changes and therefore dilute the nitrate levels, but there is a better, more natural way to deal with nitrates. Nitrates in a fully cycled tank should ideally remain at zero, but up to about 20ppm is acceptable. Higher levels may lead to issues with coral health or algae growth in the tank. Some corals may actually benefit from the higher nitrate levels, but they are atypical.​
    Nitrogen: In a properly setup reef tank, the nitrates can be further processed by special types of bacteria which convert the nitrates into harmless nitrogen gases which escape into the atmosphere. When the process includes this step, the nitrogen cycle is completed and the tank will maintain zero nitrates without significant water changes or the requirement for specialized external equipment to remove it from the system. The key to this final step is to provide oxygen poor areas of sand or rock. The bacteria which perform this last step of the process only live in oxygen poor (anaerobic) areas of the tank. The surest way to establish these anaerobic areas is to include a sand bed that has sufficient depth and sufficiently small particle size to restrict water flow in the lower areas of the bed.​
    [/FONT]

14. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

I understand the nitrogen cycle, but it does not mean the bubbles are nitrogen.

Assumption vs fact vs anecdotal evidence.

Has it been measured and confirmed to be N or O2? Many reefers consider these bubbles to be nitrogen gas, but for me the jury
    still out: Notice that bubbles are only visible in top layers, i.e. Possible light fuelling algae producing O2.
    My sump in dark, but front pane gets light,other sides no bubbles. Tested rest of sand but no bubbles escaping when sand disturbed.

Other possibility perhaps micro N bubbles migrate from depth and become trapped by algae and dense bac mats in shallow depth....

15. Broder

Broder Mudshark

I used to think so too, but over time have also become doubtful as I've only ever seen bubbles against the DSB glass in the presence of algae. And that's on 2 DSBs which are 3years+ old.

I'm no chemist, but isn't it possible that nitrogen is re-absorbed into the water similar to O and CO2?

16. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Sorry... tried to copy and paste a photo from another thread. Will try again later.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2011
  17. archiecrain

archiecrain

WOW thanks @Mudshark .......

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts