7 gallon nano

cool little tank to have.i would go for 2 clowns,maybe some shrooms & zooantids. Led wil be lekker on that.contact eco aquatics (sponsor),he has some cool LED's

Hi Nic, looking at that it a Diy tank?

if that is the case you need to rather look at buying one, tank builders generally get the glas cheaper thus its not really worth your while building something, you might save a few rand but not much.

Secondly what would you like to like to keep, fish/coral/inverts ?

How much space do you have available, the smaller the tank the more difficult to maintain consistent water parameters (most people would advise as big as possible)

You would want a sump as well to house as skimmer dsb etc

T5 lights would work fine on most smaller and even bigger set ups.

so yah, let us know what you want to keep and lets take it from there

Hi Nic - you can do this, BUT......
Here comes the "precautions" :)
Things to watch out for:
- with ANY nano, you have to be EXTRA dilligent wrt water changes -> it's all about exporting nutrients
- corals? You will need a minimum, I think, of at least 2 x 65watt PC fluorescents (someone please correct me) to keep soft-corals, at least.... more to keep most species of LPS/SPS corals.....
- you say "nemo" tank, right? that means you want to keep clown-fish.... were you thinking of getting an anemone as well? If this is the case, you would definitely need much higher lighting, than just "LED" lighting, as well as a nano-stream of sorts (high flow through the tank)....

Hope this helps.
Jacques

Jacques, there are some real nice LED outfits out there but not cheap http://www.solarisled.com/

They will light just about anything I hear

Dunno what Mille has but he wont have junk.

will the ugf not be enoughdo you need a skimmer will it be big enough for two clown fish does anyone know how much glass is

Unfortunately T5 is not the answer here as the tank is only 1 ft long. You do get 1ft T5's but it is not the high output T5's that most reefers are used to. I'd say go for 2-4 x 18W energy savers. Lumaglo is the brand. They make 6,500K bulbs. Another option is a 75W MH. Just don't mount it too close to the water else you will have endless heat issues. As for you question, it is well worth it but I wouldn't keep a fish in there. Rather go for a cleaner shrimp and a hermit. You would definately be able to keep softies under 3 or 4 of those energy savers. I kept lots of softies, tube anemone, Montiporas, Acanthastreas and other LPS under 4 x 18W energy savers and they grew like there is no tomorrow.

Although I don't think the LED light from Eco Aquatics will be sufficient for keeping corals, I can surely vouch for them being awesome moonlights and you will do well to get one. They come in blue and will add a bit of blueness to help get rid of the yellow that the 6,500K energy savers will give you.

The size is 1 cubic foot if I read correctly. In that case you might consider DIY'ing with perspex/acrylic. Much easier to do and much better looking as you don't have the ugly silicone seams.

Kanga is right about the water changes. If you do them religiously, you wouldn't need a skimmer provided there is about 1/3 the water volume in good quality live rock (or more).

HTH

Mekaeel - you think that LED's would have enough output power for corals?
And I agree with Kanga - T5's would definitely be better....
Jacques ive seen thse thing light up,and hell they are bright.it'll be a good idea if mille can show us a pic of one with a tank lit with his LED's

Nic the UGF will filter the water however nutrients will build up as they wont get exported, thus the UGF will in turn become a nitrate factory. UGF is very old school.

Yes with diligent water changes and a serious maintenance schedule it can be done, but with a lot more effort.

A skimmer and water changes will be the 2 main ways of nutrient export from the system.

Again it depends on what you would like to keep.

will the ugf not be enoughdo you need a skimmer will it be big enough for two clown fish does anyone know how much glass is

Don't worry about any filters. Just good circulation inside and religious water changes together with the LR will give you very good filtration. If you really want to have a filter, use one of them hang on back filters. They are easy to clean.

That tank is really a pico IMO. And if you really want a fish, get a percher like algae blennies etc. They don't need a lot of swimming space in general.

Jacques ive seen thse thing light up,and hell they are bright.it'll be a good idea if mille can show us a pic of one with a tank lit with his LED's

I have the blue one and it's on 24hours. Really awesome little lights.

the energy savers are a good idea i cant afford acrylics it is R1900 a square meter
i want to make it 15"x15"x15" and
let it be a bit bigger.

Sorry Gali, but i think Glass would be better here much less chance of scratching, also easier to work with

ok so i will leave it as it is i heard acrylics sratch easyso i will stick with glass

Sorry Gali, but i think Glass would be better here much less chance of scratching, also easier to work with

Definately not easier to work with than acrylic and looks much better than ordinary glass. But agree on the scratching.

I would agree with Gali here in that no filtration needed only the live rock and very regular water changes.

Back
Top Bottom