7 000 sign animal rights petition to stop uShaka New Year's rave

Reaction score
7 000 sign animal rights petition to stop uShaka New Year's rave - Times LIVE

7 000 sign animal rights petition to stop uShaka New Year's rave

A petition against a New Year’s Eve party to be held at Durban’s uShaka Marine World has drawn over 7 000 signatures, according to a blog.

In a statement, on blog called no blue no green, the online petition, launched via the Avaaz.org website, was to be delivered to city manager Sibusiso Sithole Tuesday. It was initiated after consultation with independent marine biologists about the possible harm that an event of this nature could cause to marine life at the facility. The petition follows on the deaths of two dolphins after a similar event at Connyland in Switzerland last year, and activists have cited the negative effects of loud noise and strobe lighting on captive marine mammals such as whales, dolphins and porpoises and large fish such as sharks.
Reports stated that the event had been given ’the green light’ by the NSPCA, but the society denied that it had given the event its approval and stated on its Facebook page that, despite assurances given by the organisers, both the public and the NSPCA still ‘had concerns’ about the rave.
Attempts to contact uShaka Marine World for comment were unsuccessful

We better stop storms over the oceans the lightning and thunder

Wonder how many signatures it woukd take to stop the thunder storms over the ocean, as vatso said

I'm for it! Dolphins should never be kept in captivity! Where do I sign? Didn't even know ushaka had dolphins. Check out rick o brians blog
1st Post...click "online petition"..

Nothing should be kept from there natural environments right ..... So me as a reefer would feel like a hipocrit even commenting on this.... We all have tanks in our homes and ocasionally we have parties,loud music sessions or the suround sound top volume when our favourite flieks are on ........ I find this thread hipocritical on a reef site

Alcohol, pets/animals, drugs and water don't mix...

The standard aquarium fish has a brain smaller than a pea. A dolphin has a frontal lobe bigger than ours, making them capable of complex language and thought patterns. A large hippocampus, making them capable of emotion and feeling. Dolphins are self aware, fish are not. If we kept whales and dolphins, Hippocrits we would be.

I think the petition was for all the animals at ushaka. They've also got animals other than fish.
We were there a few weeks ago and saw penguins , seals and other animals capable of hearing.

We better stop storms over the oceans the lightning and thunder

:biggrin: Yeah, especially those guys who have radions or vertex? :lol:

The Party was not cancelled but adjustments were made ...more Security was added...inside the different Venues and around uShaka grounds...searches at the door...no smoking allowed..."netting" placed over Shark Tanks to prevent stuff being thrown in the water...staff with "nets" to scoop the odd "rubbish" thrown in..the main event with DJ Lisa Lashers was moved from the Shark Tank to Moyo Restaurant..venue times were also adjusted...the 2 Decks closed at 1am..2am respectively..and I think the Moyo Venue went till 4am..?, with no alcohol served after 2am..? ..not sure as I'm going on memory...:blush:...SPCA Inspector inspected the 3 Decks, tank windows for vibrations and also had a eThekwini Councillor tweeting with hourly updates regarding decibel reading's and overall progression of the night and status updates on the fishy's...

:eek: Oh no, where you there and were so drunk you forgot?:whistling::lol:
..:005:..no..seeing as I signed the petition, it would be safe to assume that I would NOT be attending...:p...by the way...I don't drink..;)..the memory thing is due to the old age catching up...:eek:..:blush:

Well guys.
This really gets my back up with the SPCA, anti animal activists and other rubbish like that.
Amaizing how many people will sign a petition ban fire works for New years and make a big noise about saving the animals, dogs, cats, budgies, fish, ext for one day a year but those same people will neglect their pets the other 364 days a year......

My neighbours are exactly the same...
Had a big hoo-haa at me for lighting fireworks on New Years eve as it would scare their two stupid Maltese Poodles.... But they are happy to go away for a weekend and leave the dogs outside with a bowl of food....

Back
Top Bottom