60 time water flow

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Difficult marine, 24 May 2009.

1. Difficult marine

Difficult marine

hi guy
    i have 500l DT and 60 time water flow....i want to ask....do i need turn off some power head in the night time or 7/24 advices please

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

If you have the pumps that can be switched on and off via a timer, it doesn't hurt to change the flow around, but check that your pumps won't be damaged by frequent switching (although once or twice a day shouldn't hurt any decent pumps)

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Why would you want to switch the pumps off, Difficult Marine? I have +- 90 times water turnover (tank volume), and have never really switched them off.....

It can most likely only be relatively good, that there is variation in the tank, though. But, you don't HAVE to.....

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Difficult marine, what pumps are you using, and are you running them on any controllers or timers?
    Also make sure your pumps are not blowing directly at you corals, but rather bouncing of the glass or blowing at each other, this way the flow is well dispersed.

6. Difficult marine

Difficult marine Thread Starter

i want to switch off co's all other fish hide inside the live rock ...only the batfish and moolish idol can't hide still fright strong water flow.....or doesn't matter for them

7. jacquesb

In the sea, there's no pumps to be switched off.... Fish are generally very adaptive w.r.t the water flow....

I don't turn the water flow off, and my fish are ALL 100% fine!

Fish hide, because that is what they do. They sleep in between the rockwork at night, and not in the open water.....

8. keyaam

keyaam

I used a timer before on my pumps and lost a midas blennie:( when the pump switched on. I really miss the fella. So just make sure if you switch off pumps that the fish dont sleep in there

9. Difficult marine

Difficult marine Thread Starter

thanks jacquesb

about pump...i don't have controller....i used 2*tunze,1*seio,2* sun sun,and 8000l return pump...all blow to the glass thanks for remind

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Sea currents don't stop after dark, so it's not necessary to reduce water flow at night.

Fish do sleep at night, even if they can't close their eyes...so that is for protection against predators at night while they are asleep, not because of the water flow.

Hennie

11. Tony

Tony

Guys bear in mind that the sea does calm down at night. I put my vortechs on night mode which means they run at a lower rate

12. lIghty

lIghty

Thats probably a good enough reason not to turn the pumps off already.

I don't know, maybe the swell/waves due to the wind normally slowing down at night, but the current don't slow at all:whistling:

13. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I think Tony meant that the tides change and there is a slack water period, i have seen the effect of pump switching/wave machines on tanks, it can benefit the whole system.

14. lIghty

lIghty

ohhh, thats true, the backwards & forwards movement is definately beneficial:)

15. dendrosa

dendrosa Member

Fish do tend to seek out sheltered areas from the current at night. Many tanks are often wall to wall live rock and don't offer places of shelter for larger fish in the tank. I would therfore opt for switching off some or reducing flow at night AS LONG AS the outlets are screened or the impellor slowly ticks over ( Tunze) to prevent fish from seeking shelter in the pump

16. jacquesb

Guys - Tony - have you ever done a NIGHT DIVE over a tropical reef?

I HAVE - the WAVES might calm - but the surge NEVER dies down. It is ALWAYS there..... even at night. I dunno whether these okes who design the computers ever SCUBE dived a reef at night time.....

BUT, there is FOREVER a surge on the reefs of the world..... the current changes - but hte surge - is ALWAYS THERE - at the same pace..............

Therefor my tank being as natural as possible, even including the surge....

Please put your hands up who have ever SCUBA dived a tropical reef at night time?

Recent Posts