6 weeks running

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by marinenoob, 15 Sep 2009.

1. marinenoob

marinenoob

Hi Guys,

My tank has been up and running six weeks now and am loving it. I have added a Damsel a yellow ras and two clowns. let me know what you guys think thus far.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Looking good...but the substrate is a bit too coarse,its going to trap allot of detritus and then spike no3 over time

Can you upload some pictures of your engine room for us please

4. AndrévN

AndrévN

Very nice. But i agree with Lanzo.

5. marinenoob

marinenoob Thread Starter

I have decided not to change the subs for now. I don't have much of an engine room. I have a Juwel tank running it std filter with the juwel cirax addon. i have an addition eheim filter and seio 530 power head. No skimmer yet, no sump yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Hi Marinenoob, nice tank.

I would seriously consider getting a sump if I were you.. It has so many advantages like:

• Increased total water volume - This dilutes your water of accumulating pollutants, and helps avoid issues that occur quickly in sumpless tanks.
    • Skims the surface - No more surface scum, just crystal clear water. Lowers temperature
    • Hides equipment - Heaters, protein skimmers, monitoring probes, grounding probes and more can be moved to the sump & out of the display tank.
    • Consistent water level - The display tank will maintain the same water level all the times; evaporation occurs in the sump over time
    • Safe place to pour in additives - Adding chemicals or new (Reverse Osmosis De-Ionized) water in the sump allows it to mix before entering the display tank.
    • Increased circulation - The return water from the sump is yet another way to move water in your tank. You can point the return outlet(s) in different directions to create flow, instead of putting more powerheads in your display tank!
    • Increased oxygenation - As water drains into your sump, air mixes in the water, allowing beneficial gas exchange, releasing CO2 and adding fresh O2.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Eish, at least you at the right place to fix or improve your tank.

First substrate, will cause you problems from 6 months onward. So it is up to you, either fix it now or fix it later when tank is more mature.

At 6 weeks your cycle process should almost be over. Did you check the water parameters before you added the fish. And the bio-load is a sudden increase. Any beneficial bacteria needs time to catch up. Please do not add any other fish for the next month. Also keep an eye on NO2, PO4 and NO3 and ammoniak.

Seeing that you already got two clowns, please do not go and buy an Anemone next. And not for the first 8 months. Else it would just die.

The problem with canister filters are that each time you clean it,you lose all the beneficial bacteria in there. Looking at the stand it is clear that this tank was not meant to be a marine tank. Nowadays all marine tanks uses sumps. Maybe you can built a splitted sump into the two cupboards. No need to drill the tank (although it is better) as I run my tank with a syphon overflow with no problems. My tank is not drilled.

Sorry I do not only want to critisize, but need to point some things out.

8. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

And also that filter you using.... uuuuuuuuuuummmmm not so nice.. .:( Unless you want to clean it at least once a week.!! Once you've considered the sump option, you can think of adding a skimmer rather!!;)

The live rock you got in there is absolutely stunning though, helps with biological filtration (Nitrogen Cycle) and is the most natural form of filtration!!;)

Sorry if I’m sounding a bit straight forward, but just trying to help a fellow reefer!!:thumbup:

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

10. Tony

Tony

I like your live rock but the substrate must go for the abovemantioned reasons. A tank can be kept without a sump but it much more difficuilt so try and get one if you can

11. martinhal

martinhal

Good place to get advice. Nice start .

Long term a sump and skimmer is a must, I know people say it can be done without one but only if you have years of experiance (IMHO). You can get a hang on overflow if you dont want to drill the tank.

Long term the crushed coral has to go. I made this mistake when I first started , got home with 40Kg crushed coral :cursing: with stars in my eyes....now busy replacing it slowly due to NO3 issues.

The trick to this hobby is taking it slow and reading. I am 18 month in and keeping SPS corals with easy mainly due to reading up.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Like the clowns other than a Gem Tang my fav fish , what fish is the yellow guy ?

12. inflames

inflames

Nice start there! and some good advise from the guys above!:thumbup:

13. Prodigy

Prodigy

Very nice Yellow wrasse...its a real cuty
    1 concern for me is the substrate but not for the nitrate build ups but your wrasse uses the substrate to sleep in and i see some sharper edges on some of the substrate now this might hurt your yellow and he will lose scales causing big problems
    So there is another reason to change to the finer substrate
    Looking good tho!
    At the right place bro!!!

14. marinenoob

Hi guys,

Thnx for the advise and i am aware of the issues with the sump and subs. I currently clean both my filters once a week, although i might be taking out the hang on canister filter soon as it doesn't seem to be collecting much dirt. the other filter and equipment are neatly housed in the corner and Juwel will also be making an adequate skimmer specifically for their tank which will also be house in the corner box. I will probably change the subs soon as the current is collecting loads of dirt. How do i know the sexes of the clowns?

15. JD167

JD167

16. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

The smallest clown is usually the male and the big one the female.

When the female for example dies (Hopefully not yours) and you get a smaller clown than the current male, he will turn into the female and the new fish into the male.

Hope it makes sense!!;)

17. marinenoob

so they will change sex according to dominance???

18. marinenoob

Hi guys,

I know i am gonna take some flak for this but here is my tank. I have added more rock as well as a Red sea Prizm hang-on skimmer. Freind gave me a small nemmie but not sure how to handle it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Marinenoob, before you take flak. Rather ask your friend to hang on to it for you for a few months more...MUCH safer

20. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Nennie!! And the tank is still cycling!! Not so good, not so good at all.. .

You need to remember that everytime you add live rock or any live stock for that matter, a mini cycle takes place. Bacteria in your system need to adjust to the new bioload.

Your system is not "mature" enough for a nennie. I'm sure the experts will give you a better run down on this.

Sorry for beign so forward.. . But if you want that nennie to survive, please give it to an experianced fellow reefer until such time that you, and your system are ready for this challange..

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

While the tank is still in infant stage, please check if you cannot get rid of the crushed corsal substrate. Believe me, once you have livestock in there and tank is about 6 months old, it will be a nitrate factory. There will be so much detritus trapped in there, it will only result in a lot off trouble.
    Rather check others members that converted to either aragonite (if you got the money) or very fine natural sea sand or play sand (from reggies or garden centre)

I've done it, and now I do not even vacuum the substrate. 100% improvement.

Recent Posts