550 liter tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by vincentputter, 17 Dec 2011.

1. vincentputter

vincentputter I love Nayn cat!

Hey guys! So I got my tank today. I cleaned It and I built it up in the living room. I don't think I'm gona add any water coz we might be moving in 2 or 3 months. Do you guys think I should cycle It now or wait until I've moved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Rather keep it like it is untill you move. Moving that amount of rock and water will just be a hastle. Rather get all the stuff you want and do all the mods to the tank while you still have the chance to work on it. What are you planning to keep in it?

4. vincentputter

vincentputter Thread Starter I love Nayn cat!

I'm gona keep 2 Clown fish and a bunch of soft corals like xenia. I actually think this tank is WAY to big for 2 clown fish coz this is what I had inmind. [​IMG]

5. Annoying

Annoying

Awesome, going to look great. I kind of like the small amount of bioload look. What lighting, filtration, flow etc etc are you thinking of?

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

If you are moving so soon then rather not put water in it. Spend this time sorting out filtration, lighting etc.
    BUT make sure you can find a home for your other fish.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

ok, getting sorted.

First, redo that bath tub plug in the overflow. The way it is, it will be extremely noisy. Google Durso standpipe. Fit proper bulkhead fitting so that you can fit a 50mm standpipe.

The T8 light you have there. Is no good for corals. Next couple of months, check if you can rather upgrade the lightning.

8. vincentputter

vincentputter Thread Starter I love Nayn cat!

I want the tank to have a Zen look.

Lighting:
    2 T8 Halogen Fluorescent Tubes (one white and one actinic). I'm gona double that after 6 months when I add some soft corals and I'm gona make them T5s.

Filtration: I want It to be as basic and simple as possible (DSB, Live rock, Cheato, Protein skimmer) Mayby some active carbon and aPhosban Reactor.

Flow: I'm not sure about the flow. The return pump is a 2500l/h but I'll buy another one to make It 5000l/h. Do you guys think I should get some powerheads If the return pump flow is 5000l/h coz the return pump tubing Is directional.

9. Annoying

Annoying

The t8's will be fine untill you add the t5's for the soft corals. Just try to keep easy corals like xenia,colts,leathers and zoa's. 5000L return won't be enough as the heigh it has to push up will most likely decrease it to 3000L. Try to go with 10-20 times the dt volume with flow for softies. 2 powerheads should be enough in opposite directions, giving seperate current streams.

Recent Posts