4ft tank with 3ft sump

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Gersh, 6 Feb 2010.

1. Gersh

Gersh

howzit guys im back been away from keeping a tank since last year august just had a baby n all so no time i sold all the fish as it was a fish with live rock only tank,so now the gogga bite me again n i have been itching to start the tank again but $$$ is abit tight with a mouth to feed now,so lol no pics will be uploaded now as i will be buying new equipment monthly.

the planned tank will be my 1.2mx450x450 and a standard 3ft tank to be converted to a sump with three compartments 1st chamber for skimmer,2x250W heaters and pump for algea scrubber which will be above the 2nd chamber(DSB) then 3rd chamber for return.

i would like it to be a softie reef with a few fish maybe 3 chromis ,1 midas blenny, 1 false percula clown,1 regal tang(might be pushing it a bit with the regal)also a cleaner wrasser if i can have the regal ,when the tank was previously set up the tank was abit stocked with 4 chromis,1 false percula clown,1 maroon clown,1 male goldie,2 yellow tail n domino damsels(never again will i own a damsel nasty buggers),1 midas blenny and 1 blue streak goby.

had about 10 hermits, 5 snails, one long spined urchin(also never again unless its a very small 1 as he moved my rocks at his leisure), 2 cleaner shrimp.

and then i had no sump was using Jebo skimmer but hooked it up to a double outlet air pump to the power head venturi and it skimmed a dark skimmate had 1 Seio cant remeber the model and flowrate have to still scratch the hardware out. and lol just the normal powerhead that u use in freshwater 1500lph and i had no coral because i had impropper lighting and flow in the tank.

the tank ran for 8months with no losses or any nasty algea issue but that was because i hit the water changes weekly.

Right so now i want to go softie reef and not cut corners like previously and use unsuitable equipment.

so now i am investing in a:
    TS1 Reeftek skimmer
    2 x sunsun 3000lph pumps
    1 x 150w metal halide
    4 x t5 54w (2 blue 2 actinic)
    this i will be buying over the next few months.

equipment i have already
    2000lph powerhead for return to DT
    Seio Prop530 2000lph
    sunsun 3000lph
    2 x 250w heaters (prefer usin two heaters then one.)
    35kg liverock (although pretty dead as i cleaned out the 4ft when i sold the fish i packed the 3ft full with the rock with water from the 4ft but never added heater or pump and last week when i eventually decided to start up my baby the live rock was covered in black slimy algea obviously from all the die off etc.) what i want to know is should i just start curing the rock or should i wash the first and then when my tank is eventually filled with water add them all in one go or say 3kg at a time and seed with healthy 5kg rock again?

so please go forward and comment on my stocking list & my planned equipment etc please note that the equipment i planned is what can fit my budget. so like even thou i would love the TS2 skimmer i jus cannot afford that right now plus the better half has already complained about my current budget i set on it LOL even thou she loves the hobby aswell.:whistling:

also my 4ft is not drilled who in JHB can do this for me and at what cost ?im in the west rand and also do the sump and scrubber for me as i want the scrubber glass like the one i saw on the forum under filtration BTW im hopeless with DIY.:lol:

P.S SORRY FOR THE SA.:biggrin::yeahdude:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Hey great news that you are starting a tank again! The great thing about a softy tank is that it doesn't need the immense lighting of sps so you can almost get away without a metal hallide, without the metal hallide you can get the strength and nice lighting if you go with very good quality T5's like geisman. By placing the softies according to lighting (high lighting corals placed above and low light placed at the bottom). You will save allot of money and then you can buy the TS2:razz:. You can also change the lighting like maybe 2x 10000K and 1x 14000K and 1 actinic if you want to. I think a 4 foot is to small for a regal maybe a yellow tang or close to that size. If you add the live rock directly you are going to have major algae issues for a few months and you'll have to do allot of water changes. Rather cure the rock in a bucket with heater and flow pump and add a few kg at a time ( the few that looks the best) and as you said re-seed them with a few kg fresh live rock. Hope it helps

4. Gersh

Gersh Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the reply will consider that, n yep pretty much knew the regal outcome i just think i couldnt accept it lol:lol: ....still waiting for replies for the drilling and sump.:whistling:

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

reply in blue

hope the above helps

6. Gersh

Gersh Thread Starter

Thanks for the response leslie i will def take it into account and i have also decided to go with the ts2 it is only 500 bucks more lol:lol:, i thought about drilling myself but sheuwww so so scared of cracking the tank:nono: my tank is also not euro braced only cross braced can i still drill the back pane as i want a outside overflow as i do not want to loose any of the little space i already have in the tank, also do you think if i do go for the ts2 that there would still be enough space in the 3ft sump to still have the middle chamber as a dsb?

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

post a pic of the tank and we can crit it for you.. as for space in the sump for dsb definatley.. remember that your rock (if a little dense) will also aid in denitrification so yes a dsb is important and id advise you to have one but not the end of the world if it cant be because you have LR to fall back onto..

remember that the TS2 can be elevated a little so possibly explore having the DSB starting underneath it.. not idea but if a bigger dsb is critical for you this is a possible solution..

as for drilling, i cannot explain how easy it is.. a cordless drill is best and some paitence.. all you really need to do is add water and drill a little repeating this every 10 seconds or so.. dont push too hard and every now and again lift the bit so that the water can seep into the hole being cut to cool it.. offer still stands to guide you through it if you want but i can understand your hesitation.. i was also weary in the begining :)

Recent Posts